Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Was Affiliate Summit worth it for 1st timers?(rant)
    I'm trying to figure out if it was worth the time and money. I enjoyed meeting people that was fun, I'm talking about other than "fun".

A few People said ,to me, "That's a great idea. Do you mind if I write that down?" Yet. I never felt compelled to write down anything that people told me to help my business. I showed people value in products that they were going to through away. I told people about specific companies that would make great niches that they buy from now and how to use them in their business lines. Conversely, people would tell me things like "You shouldn't have started that thread , just use the search button next time", even though thread was a "discussion", not a "how to?". I also, got "try harder" or nobody is going to help you start out, when I'm asking my Affiliate Managers for a good program.

I see that Affiliate Marketing is having identity issues. When approaching the the "Editor in Chief" of Revenue magazine to get her business card (to help her with the "Affiliate Organization"), she snapped at "I already gave you a card!, but I'll give you another." Doing this in front of other people, gave me clear indication why no one else was asking for her card after I had. This is the general overall lack of warmth that I felt from senior people (except for Haiko and his better half). I can see why the last attempt to organize failed, the new people are the most important people to "bring into the fold" as they are the most impressionable. Yet we are told "Nobody wants to talk to you" or "You have to find out what works for yourself", when in fact we should be given direction to stay away from bad practices.

After over 35 years in the PC computer industry, political connections and the drive to make things better for people, I have something to bring to the table, as all people do. I work full time at Affiliate Marketing, most days staying up until 1 or 2 A.M.. To leave my family for the 1st time and to be dismissed, is immature, a wasted opportunity and selling Affiliate Marketing, Affiliate Summit and yourselves short. The process starts with each person taking a bigger perspective of themselves and the industry (A.K.A. "the reason to get out of bed each day").

As of now I want to go to AS 2008 East and would want to get my wife in as a speaker, as she is a NJ Superior Court Judge and has been trained on legal computer issues, but...

Again, I wonder if Affiliate Summit was/is worth it?

LMK

LincolnAve

Put 1000 people together...

Some will be dorks..

Most will be typical..

A few will be gems..

Strive to be a gem.. And seek out other gems..

Thanks, you are starting to shine...

but then again, as programmers we get to drive most things in IT.

LinconAve

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnAve

As of now I want to go to AS 2008 East and would want to get my wife in as a speaker, as she is a NJ Superior Court Judge and has been trained on legal computer issues, but...

Again, I wonder if Affiliate Summit was/is worth it?

LMK

LincolnAve
    I'm sorry you had that kind of experience. I would not have been happy if that was me.

But if you want to go to the next one there must have been something that made it worth it? This is a question not a statement.

Or do you want to go just to give it the benefit of the doubt as in maybe the next one will be different?

I want to go to AS east 2008.
    I plan on going for a few reasons. It will be MUCH cheaper. I can drive (I told Shawn that I would carry stuff up for him) to Boston, my wife will come with me. We love Boston.

AND yes, I want to give AS the benefit of the doubt. I may find a way to make it work for me, I won't be a first timer either.

Hopefully, I can work with Shawn and Missy to enrich the 1st timers experience.

An example would be, something as simple as solo people wanting dinner partners. I did find someone to hang out with, but we aren't going to be able to do business together.

Just an idea.

LincolnAve

It was my first time as well and believe it or not I have to agree with Lincoln Ave, I did see a bucketload of snootyness and elite clique crap - and not only by seniors. As Code Monkey says, however, it's a great way to differentite whom to deal with and a real time saver

That said, I totally agree that a newbie section or a meet n greet would really do wonders - I'd be more than happy to participate in such an endeavor.

But, yes it was worth it for me, it was great meeting everyone, including you Lincoln Ave.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    It was always great meeting people you work with even if you are already met them several times before.

For me, I met many merchants, network reps, OPMs and struck many deals - that itself is easily worth the trip. Also had interesting discussion with couple of competitors (fellow affiliates) and with one I had a great discussion with such openness that at the end of the discussion, I am sure we both understood our businesses better than we did before.

It was also nice shaking hands with many fellow ABWers - Haiko, Rexanne, BillyKay, Donuts, Geno, Adam, Scott and many many others.

I do agree with the elite clique crap as well...I was surprised at how many people were just plain snobs to others....That said I did find some real gems and had a blast with them!

I do agree that a meet and great would be a great idea and I too would love to help put that together for Boston.

It was nice meeting you, also.
    I did enjoy meeting you and Rexanne at the meet market.

Anybody got 3 ace's for a Jack, 8 and a 3?

LMK

LinccolnAve

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    I do agree with the elite clique crap as well...I was surprised at how many people were just plain snobs to others....That said I did find some real gems and had a blast with them!

I do agree that a meet and great would be a great idea and I too would love to help put that together for Boston.
    Yeah, some of us just won't dig things out of toilets for others....

On another note, some of the veterans are really swamped at Summit. There are meetings, people you set up times to meet with. I had people pulling me in every direction. This was the first time my team was together in one place as we work and live across the country. I didn't have much time to talk to new people. Heck I had a hard time meeting up with some long time friends at Summit. I wouldn't take it personally as a newbie that people didn't have time to talk. Keep going, make your face familiar. Post here and let people get to know you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    ......I do agree with the elite clique crap as well...I was surprised at how many people were just plain snobs to others.....
    When you see that happen or have it happen to you just suck it up, consider the "source" and be glad you are not like that. Also be thankful that you had a parent or parents that were able to instill some values within your upbringing...such as being polite and having manners.

On the other hand...last July was my first Affiliate Summit. I did not have any ill-feelings toward my welcome and acceptance. On the contrary, my assimilation into the crowd was better than expected and was thoroughly enjoyed. While I did detect a bit of eliteness and snobbery - they were not among the people I cared to meet anyway. I had a grand time meeting new people last year in Miami as well as this week in Las Vegas.

And, I do like the idea of a Newbie Meet & Greet session. Logistics might be tough, given the hectic schedule, but I'd certainly be there to smile, shake some hands and help make people feel welcome. An initial foray into a crowded Meet Market can certainly be intimidating for many.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    This was my first Affiliate Summit and I really enjoyed it. I didn't want to come back! It was so nice to meet the bloggers of the blogs I read everyday. Everyone that I personally spoke to was extremely nice. Zac Johnson and Mark Weilgus happily gave me the opportunity to interview them on camera for MLTV. Shawn Collins is extremely sweet and knowledgeable. I would love to spend a few hours with each of them and pick their brain.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't take it personally if Connie was too busy to talk to me - a complete stranger with no prior relationship.

It seems like this is a typical conference, the in-crowd, regulars and outsiders. I'm looking forward to Boston in August a lot. I bet there'll be a lot of first timers there because it seems many of us haven't been able to make it to Vegas.

After years of working alone in my living room, it will be a pleasure just to see another living, breathing affiliate.

How can you do an effective Meet & Greet with thousands of people? I know they've tried numerous networking ideas over the years, and I just haven't seen anything that works well.

About the only thing that works for me is just wandering the Meet Market or Exhibit Hall and trying to find names or company names that I recognize.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    How can you do an effective Meet & Greet with thousands of people?
    Break outs. Organize people by niche. That'd work for me.

I'm not comfortable in large, noisy crowds. I'd end up cowering in a corner, weeping.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    It was my first time as well and believe it or not I have to agree with Lincoln Ave, I did see a bucketload of snootyness and elite clique crap - and not only by seniors.
    First off, congrats on your award Haiko, as I said to you in person as we were walking down the hallway to the show.

In terms of your snooty comment... Really? I've been to every one of them and I've never seen any kind of snooty-ness. I go out of my way to talk to new people.

As for Lisa. I am 100% sure you didn't get her joke. No way she meant that to be mean. Take my word for it.

I say let's just blame Connie for everything.
    Jim Kukral
    You will love my book: Attention! This Book Will Make You Money

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnAve
    Hopefully, I can work with Shawn and Missy to enrich the 1st timers experience.
    I'd love to hear more from you about your perspective. If you're available to chat next week, please shoot me an email (shawn@affiliatesummit.com).
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Never been to affiliate summit but I have been to some of the after parties when it was in Orlando.

From a merchant side, I have been to quite a few Linkshare Summits/Symposiums. As a merchant, I do meet those high and mighty affiliates too but that is the nature of things. If everybody is covered with a coat of sugar, we would be living in "candy-land".

But all jokes aside, I met lots of new people and got in touch with lots of friends, made quite a few deals and had fun while doing that.

I also understand those people that have lots of things planned out. Like FlamingoWorld mentioned, they are dragged in different directions... I just try to make the best out of it.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I attended a couple of these Summits and also found them to be very clique oriented. I blame myself for not meeting more people. And I did in fact meet a few very nice people who have been very helpful.

I doubt, though, that I would attend another Affiliate Summit.

I think the event held by SAS is different. Quite a bit smaller. But even there the cliques existed.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Well, I've never truly met Lisa in person, but I have spent some time near her at ThinkTank, and I would say she was probably having a bad moment, as we all do. (Read all my posts here and you'll see several hundred bad moments). Besides, I just made a nice profit selling her on Facebook, so.....

Secondly, I wonder how much of this issue has to do with these two things:

1.) This industry was way too many "good looking" (just ask them) punk MBA's working for CPA networks, and they are almost all self righteous jerks. And many of them are at the Summit. I had a guy actually refuse to take my card last year in Vegas when I was asking him about his product and how to buy it. (Not CPA... I think it was a transaction service or something).

2.) While I spend a lot of time in large scale social situations, there are plenty of affiliates that don't. Couple that with them being first timers at the Summit, and you've got a recipe for introduction failure.

I'm sure I look unapproachable at times, even though I would talk to just about everyone. Except those CPA MBA guys.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    Aside from having to take my shoes off every few seconds because of the walking and standing and basically never sitting for 5 days, no complaints about Affiliate Summit. Actually regarding being a newbie, at my first Affiliate Summit I felt a bit of trepidation at being a new name, new face, new person that had to ingratiate myself with the people I really wanted to get to know. I think that's true of every new situation, but when business is tied to it, there is an added pressure. Fortunately, affiliate marketing is the kind of marketplace where business and friendship is co-mingled so once you do go to more and more of these conferences and you do make tighter friendships, your businesses will grow accordingly. That in itself is worth the discomfort of being new and not knowing anyone. No one should be treating you differently at their booths because they don't know you - aside from seeing familiar faces and getting to chat, we all have booths so we can extend our circle, not close them in. What Connie said about being busy is definitely true - most people are trying to squeeze in a ton of meetings as well as their own goals for the conference in just a few short days, so if you don't get to speak to everyone in Vegas, wait 'till August and make it a priority.

You're never going to know everyone because there are always new faces, especially as the conferences grow. Don't be intimidated by cliques - walk up to people you don't know and strike a conversation. Easier said than done, but that's what you are there for and so are they. Next year you'll be giving advice to newbies while talking to your clique so I wouldn't worry about it. The snobby thing is really just a matter of odds - thousands of people, lots of booths and companies, so you're bound to not mesh with everyone. Take our booth - there's just five of us but at any given moment we're picking on someone on the team (and that's our company colleagues!). If you don't like someone, make a mental note, and move on. You'll do business at the next booth.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

As a virgin to the Affiliate Summit - in the road of life, their are passengers and their are drivers...JUST KIDDING. But, in all honesty, at the Summit and in life - it's always important to take the positive road and be relentless in approaching everybody with a smile and a handshake. I thought everybody was great - some people were busy and unable to have a real conversation but it's definitely all good. I think a meet and greet for newbies is a solid idea!

At times, it felt like highschool but at the end of the day - it's those funny moments that enable an incredible future. As I plan to be in this industry for a long, long time - it's all about paying dues.

Because we all know that at the end of the day, it's all about the "remember whens..."

RA
    Ryan Alovis
    [URL=http://www.magazinediscountcenter.com]MagazineDiscountCenter.com[/URL]
    Affiliate Manager
    Ryan@arknetmedia.com
    1.800.898.5367 X8282

Haiko, I think people were just scared of you.
    Lisa is one of the nicest people I know.

I also know that I sometimes get people coming up to me, newbies and all they want is to ask how can I do what you do, hire me or teach me step by step. If you are a newbie just chill, talk and make conversation but don't get into the gimme mode. I also don't like being bombarded by merchants that having nothing to do with what I do. They have no idea about my biz, they only know I am well known and want to be on my site. I usually do all I can to get out of talking to people like that.

One comment I got from some people, they wanted to talk to me but I was always with someone. Well come on over, tap me on the shoulder. I may not be talking about anything private and perhaps I can introduce you to someone or you can join in our conversation. If you are going to wait til I am not talking you will be waiting a long time.

As Jim said, blame me for everything, most people do.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Can you please define snob and cliqueness.

People generally like to hang with people they know and feel comfortable with... especially if you're thrown into a room with 2000 other people. It's just human nature.

Is your definition of cliqueness seeing a group of 5 people who were always together?

At my first summit, I saw "name-brand" affiliates always in the same groups, and I was hesitent to go say hi. I didn't look at them as a snobby clique, I looked at myself as not being able to add quality to whatever converstaion they were having.

But one day you wake up and realize we all do the same thing - no one is better then anyone else.

Are you saying you went up to a group and they actually said something like "You're not as important as us, go away"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast