Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    What can be improved at Affiliate Summit?
    Shawn and Missy have done a phenomenal job with Affiliate Summit, and I've never seen two people who do a better job at taking constructive criticism and improving things. This Affiliate Summit was the SEVENTH that I've been to. After the first one I went to, I sent Shawn and Missy a list of things that needed improved. I think they've implemented every one of those changes (and many, many more). Affiliate Summit just keeps getting better and better!

So what changes would you guys suggest? I know Shawn and Missy value our input, so let's give it to them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The Meet Market is one of the most valuable parts of the Affiliate Summit to me. It's an incredible value for merchants, without forcing them to man a booth through the entire conference. It's a great opportunity for affiliates.

Some changes I would recommend:

1) It was packed. I would love to see (at least) twice the space.

2) Six hours was way too long. 3 or 4 hours is fine. I realize we can spend as little or much time as we want, but there's no sense making those with a table stand for that long.

3) Get more merchants involved. When merchants sign up for the Affiliate Summit, promote the Meet Market to them. Send them to the threads here on ABW that sing the praises of the Meet Market and it'll be an easy sell.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I felt like there was one particular network there that "spammed" us with their 150K a day t-shirts....I was a little disappointed with that and a few exhibitors whom IMO are not the most ethical examples of the industry....

Agreed. There could be some guidelines for the type and amount of advertising perhaps? I don't know if that's really feasible, but the "150k" folks were definitely overdoing it. Their materials were actually littering the place at one point.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I'd be happy to get rid of the "exclusive" night-clubs for parties and have more relaxed settings. (see the thread about the Aff. Bash)

ABW Ambassador
    It would be better if the LEAD networks are canned from exhibiting and putting up a stand at the venue.

How about Real merchants and Real networks ... Some quality enforcement rather than pay me and you can exhibit whatever you want would be nice

Good WiFi throughout the area should be a must

A big agenda board at couple of prominent places will be nice.

Frankly, I thought most of the sessions were a little boring and not worth the time.

Hello Michael, Pleasure meeting your acquaintance this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Some changes I would recommend:

1) It was packed. I would love to see (at least) twice the space.
    Agreed, more space would be nice, but not twice as much. A well populated area helps create 'buzz'

2) Six hours was way too long. 3 or 4 hours is fine. I realize we can spend as little or much time as we want, but there's no sense making those with a table stand for that long.
    As an exhibitor at other events - I can say that 'we' don't mind standing for that long. As long as there are people to meet with, 'we' are willing to be there. I witnessed very few booths that weren't talking to at least 2 people at any given time through out the meet market, so 6 hours is probably the right amount of time.

3) Get more merchants involved. When merchants sign up for the Affiliate Summit, promote the Meet Market to them. Send them to the threads here on ABW that sing the praises of the Meet Market and it'll be an easy sell.
    AGREED. I know we are considering it for sure!

-Samir

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    The Meet Market is one of the most valuable parts of the Affiliate Summit to me. It's an incredible value for merchants, without forcing them to man a booth through the entire conference. It's a great opportunity for affiliates.

I couldn't agree with you more. The value that the Meet Market presents for Merchants and Affiliates is fantastic. I want the meet market to be double the time, over a two day period. Six hours is a long time, but there are so many people there that six hours really isnt enough. I really don't mind standing at a table for 10 hours if I am going to get new affiliates visiting my booth. Meeting potential partners face to face is invaluable. The more time to do so, the merrier, in my opinion.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

I'd be happy to get rid of the "exclusive" night-clubs for parties and have more relaxed settings. (see the thread about the Aff. Bash)
    I agree with this completely. While the venues for the parties were stylish, I was only able to get into one or two of the evening events, and it was way too loud and cramped to have any sort of real conversation. I'd love to see larger parties where anyone and everyone attending the conference is welcome.

As for some positive feedback I just wanted to add that I thought the food provided during the expo days was great - it was nice to have healthy options.
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

Please give us a nice quiet venue in the evenings. A couple years back we had a chocolate party in the back of the Wynn. This was an awesome venue!! It was huge and offered a nice patio area to get away from the noise. There was no "VIP" section, so everybody could talk to everybody. Let's consider venues like this rather than what's hot in Vegas. We're not coming for a chance to see Paris Hilton, we're there to do business.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It's a far, far bigger group now. It's just about impossible to find a "nice quiet venue" for several thousand people.

I think it may be time to split the evening entertainment out into smaller groups. Let each of the major networks and/or sponsors throw separate parties on the same night and let people choose which one to go to.

I loved the Pure Imagination Chocolate party at the Wynn. That's definitely one of the best that I've been to. Chocolate. Yum! And those lobster quesadillas!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I don't know how to solve this one, but if it CAN be solved, the summit will be 100 times better for everyone.

We need a way to EASILY find people we've never met but want to meet. Even tho I made a concerted effort, there are still dozens of folks I didn't meet.

We need more free personal time DURING the event - it seems I always had to be someplace. Before I went to sleep last night, a mental list of people I think are going back home feeling I "blew them off", only because I didn't have much free time.

Donuts will confirm that our entire relationship is built on 2 minute converstaions spread out over the years - LOL... and as I write this I'm IMing with JenGoode, and we're talking more on Yahoo then we did during the conference.

So.... more free time please

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread, Michael.

We'll certainly try to address everything we can.

There will be a feedback survey sent out in the near future where attendees can provide anonymous feedback, too.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

We need more free personal time DURING the event
    How about an extra day at the end that's basically free time, but with an important OFFICIAL AS event towards the end of the day.

I know there's a cost involved for Shawn and Missy, as well as for attendees, in this scenario, but it's getting to be enough people around where it might be warranted.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    For the next one, I will not attend the sessions or exhibits. Rather, schedule time with people that I want to meet in 15 minute slots one on one with a pre-set agenda ...

For me the Aff Summit is a venue to meet up and not much else ...

Noth,
    Yes - nice idea. Also The cocktail hour that was at the end of the meet market could be available each day. A great way to solidify relationships made during the course of the event and make new relationships, as well as give everyone a chance figure out further plans for the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    Also The cocktail hour that was at the end of the meet market could be available each day.
    There was a cocktail hour at the end of each day.

Not sure if it is under Shawn and Missy's control, but I would love if the parties weren't at nightclubs. I would like to see the official parties more like the Pure Imagination parties used to be. Hold it in a big room perhaps at the hotel or another hotel. Make it so it has music to dance to, but not so overbearing so that those wanting to have conversations can. Start them earlier so some of us wanting to be fresh in the morning can have fun and not have to be out til 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Not sure if it is under Shawn and Missy's control, but I would love if the parties weren't at nightclubs.
    The evening parties are entirely organized by the sponsors of them. One exception was the Affiliate Jam last year.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    To Connie, Snib and the others who, like myself, use the Pure party at Tryst as the bar...

Tryst isn't a room, it's a nightclub, just like Tao and Ghostbar.

The only difference is they rented the entire club, rather then just a VIP section... meaning we could say "We want the music turned down so we can hear each other talk", or "we want to stand wherever we want, not in designated roped off areas

On any night other then the party night, Tryst is just as loud and Snooty as Tao and Ghostbar

At Ghostbar, there were free bottles of booze on the tables for the VIPs (us). I went to pour a Grey Goose for Kim, and was immediatley surrounded by rude burly guys in black: The bottles never leave the table except by a waitress sir. One even grabbed my arm - LOL. Hey! just pouring a drink dude!!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    The evening parties are entirely organized by the sponsors of them. One exception was the Affiliate Jam last year.
    Well, if I am not wrong at least one big event party is done by SES, AdTech, PubCon(WebmasterWorld) that is organized by the conference organizer itself and not left to the sponsors. Perhaps, it may be a good idea to do that and not leave it all to the sponsors. I don't care either way but tossing up the idea ..

Let me reiterate, that TAO party was a waste of time as the sponsors took the participants to a ride.

Request that Keynote and other prominent figures to refrain from dropping the F bomb during speeches as it degrades, characterizes, and reconfirms the unprofessionalism and "greeness" of the industry. I'm no prude, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    There was a cocktail hour at the end of each day.
    OIC. I was mainly looking at the 'Quick Agenda' sheet to plan my days since this time I was an 'Exhibit Hall' only attendee. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    ...it degrades, characterizes, and reconfirms the unprofessionalism and "greeness" of the industry...
    Calacanis isn't a member of our industry. He's part of the larger "online" industry, but he's not part of ours. Nitpicky, perhaps... and I agree with you - I just hope that he doesn't give us a black eye with that performance, because he doesn't represent us.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just want to clarify some points about the evening parties...

1)I think that Connie is talking about the smaller Pure Imagination party from two years ago BK. The one that had the yummy fountains flowing with chocolate.

2) That party situation is tough. Besides the few that were mentioned in the Affiliate Summit forum here on ABestWeb that a lot of folks attended, there were several more taking place. These parties were apparently invite-only for their specific clients --- and not even open to ALL of their clients that were attending the show.

Providing a list of these types of parties so that attendees could pick and choose them, would be an exercise in frustration for two reasons. First, even Shawn and myself were not aware of a few that were taking place, until a day or two before the show, as we were not invited either. Secondly, the sponsors have limited space and posting them just aggravates the folks that will not be allowed into them anyway.

Here it is in a nutshell. Throwing these parties are extremely costly to the sponsor. To be able to make a commitment to a venue that could potentially house 2-3k people is an enormous investment for one company. (I paid 13.00 for a Cosmopolitan at Tao after the free drinks ran out -- multiply that by a couple of thousand people over the course of a few hours and you can realize how much it adds up.). It is my belief that is why the sponsors all joined together for AffiliateBash - and while it may not have been the ideal situation for all - I applaud them for providing an opportunity for one party to be open to everyone - other than the open networking cocktail hours that Shawn and I put on at the end of each day.

3) I don't know what the answer is on how to make this work for everyone - wish I did. However, I'm open to suggestions and would be happy to share them with the previous party sponsors as well as future potential sponsors.

Many of you have made some terrific suggestions over the previous 8 shows that have been implemented and we sincerely appreciate that. However, please keep in mind that if yours is not used, it could be because we've tried it before and it didn't work out, or there are physical site challenges, etc. that prevent us from doing it.

I always welcome ideas on how to improve Affiliate Summit. In fact, many of the proposals that have been PM'd and emailed to me so far about this show, make really good sense.

If you have any comments, criticisms or suggestions bring 'em on!

Feel free to email me at missyward@affiliatesummit.com or give me a buzz on my office line at 407 499 4449.

It was really great seeing you all. I too, wish there was one more day after the show when I didn't have to run around in a zillion directions so that I can catch up with everyone.

-Missy
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast