Hello Folks,

I would like to sell PDA downloadable software over the internet and don't have experience in this industry. Questions are:

1. What are the best and economical internet payment gateway companies for selling downloadable software?.
    2. How much starting capital I will need?.
    3. How risky is this business?
    4. What common mistakes I should avoid in this industry?

Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!! ...

Thx,
    Andy

1, I use 2checkout.com, $0.45 per transaction, 5.5% of transaction amount.
    2, $49 Setup Fee.
    3, Chargebacks are $29, fraud is almost non existant with 2checkout.com.
    4, Don't accept online checks.

I use PayPal. They'll accept credit card orders from folks who want to buy my shareware software, but the buyer has to go through a signup procedure first which probably loses me some sales.

PayPal emails me when someone pays for the product -- and sends me the buyer's name and email address. Then I email the buyer his unlock code for the software.

For small-volume sales like I have it works well enough, and isn't much hassle for me.

-- Mike

JJJay thx ! but $0.45 per transaction, 5.5% of transaction amount is too expensive for me, where can I get a better deal?. I don't mind Setup and monthly Fee.

Why don't you let Handango or one of the other PDA vendors sell it. BTW .45 and 5.5% is a pretty decent deal for credit card processing.

There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.

I highly recommend ShareIt! or eSellerate.

http://www.shareit.com/
    http://www.esellerate.net/

Both have great partnerships and built in affiliate program.

ShareIt! has a huge audience and it's affiliate tracking is better than eSellerates because it has cookie tracking for longer term affiliate commissions.

eSellerate has some nice partnerships including a PDA portal and they are getting better everyday.

I HIGHLY recommend researching both of these companies heavily before deciding.

Good luck in your decision and keep us posted!

P.S. Good luck finding a company that offers lower commission rates. Your going to have a very difficult time. Cheaper is not always better.

Paul Diemer, President
    Bit Wise Publishing, LLC
    http://www.bitwisepublishing.com

By the way, here's two handy-dandy little links that may help you choose from multitudes of payment gateways for shareware authors.

http://www.regshare.com/
    http://www.blackcatsystems.com/regservices/

Regards,

Paul Diemer, President
    Bit Wise Publishing, LLC
    http://www.bitwisepublishing.com

$0.45 per transaction, 5.5% of transaction amount plus $45 set up fee; This is very bad deal to accept credit cards unless you want to work for 2checkout.com. There are many, better alternatives.

my suggestion for cowcool would be, to try third party sellers like clickbank, esellerrate.com etc, first then go on and set up your own site with several payment options.

RegNow.com and Kagi are other alternatives. One of the major things you should look at is registration keys for the product if you don't build them in .... everyone's got a copy and you've got $0.00! The good thing with esellerate and regnow is that they can auto integrate the key generation with the deal ... regnow has a min of $2.00 (for everything) so If your product is inexpensive use regnow and save yourself alot of headaches.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:
    $0.45 per transaction, 5.5% of transaction amount plus $45 set up fee; This is very bad deal to accept credit cards unless you want to work for 2checkout.com. There are many, better alternatives.

my suggestion for cowcool would be, to try third party sellers like clickbank, esellerrate.com etc, first then go on and set up your own site with several payment options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clickbank charge much more than 2checkout. $1 per transaction, 7.5% of transaction plus a one-time $49.95 activation fee. The guy is trying to save money not throw it away

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:

my suggestion for cowcool would be, to try third party sellers like clickbank, esellerrate.com etc, first then go on and set up your own site with several payment options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clickbank charge much more than 2checkout. $1 per transaction, 7.5% of transaction plus a one-time $49.95 activation fee. The guy is trying to save money not throw it away <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, 2checkout.com charges those fees only to accept credit cards while clickbank provides everything he needs to sell the software along with thousands possible affiliates. So, it's a better deal than 2checkout.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:

Clickbank charge much more than 2checkout. $1 per transaction, 7.5% of transaction plus a one-time $49.95 activation fee. The guy is trying to save money not throw it away <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But, 2checkout.com charges those fees only to accept credit cards while clickbank provides everything he needs to sell the software along with thousands possible affiliates. So, it's a better deal than 2checkout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use 2checkout to sell downloadable products and find them better than clickbank who I used before switching over to 2checkout. 2checkout process the cards, and offer shopping carts and product lists, they offer a lot more than clickbank for a lot less.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread