View Poll Results: Should I change my avatar?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, leave it as is.

25 53.19%
  • Yes, change to more friendly looking :-)

10 21.28%
  • Yes, change to a more professional "look" ; - )

16 34.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Ok, so after numerous affiliate summits, this question always comes up many times ...

I'm not a biker, don't own a Harley or any other motorcycle ...

Now, for the vote ...

Should I change my avatar so i don't "look" like a biker or hitman as many people lovingly refer to me as?
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    If you are happy with your Avatar, you should keep it. ... just add a disclaimer to your signature line.

I don't think it does you any justice, I picked #3 but will settle for #2.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Personally, I think that having a personal photo for an avatar here can work against you. When people see the picture, they automatically associate it with a personality. That is why I choose to keep my pic from showing in my avatar. People judge.

What looks cool to some looks dumb to others. What looks smart to some might look nerdy to others... etc.

If people want to see pictures of me, there are a few in the photo gallery. It keeps them from stereotyping due to something as simple as an avatar. I am guilty of it as much as the others

Take LD for example here in this thead. He looks scared as hell to me. (Nothing personal there LD.) To others he may look cute or "lost". I don't know. But I do know that people make assumptions and judgments from the avatar pics.

-sfcom

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Andy,

I was actually considering changing the entires staff Avatar so it looks like yours..What gives?
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Personally, I think that having a personal photo for an avatar here can work against you. When people see the picture, they automatically associate it with a personality. That is why I choose to keep my pic from showing in my avatar. People judge.
    So are you saying that you don't have a personality? Huh, huh?

Take LD for example here in this thead. He looks scared as hell to me. (Nothing personal there LD.) To others he may look cute or "lost".
    I just always assumed that this picture was taken immediately after his alien abduction.

As for the original question. Andy don't change a thing.

-rematt

Edited to add: Andy if you must change anything, please move NutsOnTheNet further down the list.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Lightbulb
    Well . . . maybe be holding a cutlass and maybe a flintlock pistol . . .

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Take LD for example here in this thead. He looks scared as hell to me. (Nothing personal there LD.) To others he may look cute or "lost".
    I just always assumed that this picture was taken immediately after his alien abduction.
    It is much better to get to know me in person. I'm not as bad as you'd imagine although I do get nervous in large groups.

-- sorry Andy didn't mean to take over your thread. (moderators - new thread?)

I like Andy's avatar, but a little change every now and then can do ya good. Andy, perhaps you could put up a few examples of personal and professional avatars you're considering and we can vote on that too.

You know, I don't believe I've ever seen a picture of Haiko and I think I might be a little disappointed if he doesn't look like Thor.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    So are you saying that you don't have a personality? Huh, huh?...

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Well . . . maybe be holding a cutlass and maybe a flintlock pistol . . .

He is not a motorcycle jockey..................He is a licensed "PRIVATEER"
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

yes, who knows what happens on the high seas?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    leave it.. it makes you stand out from the rest

I voted to leave it, but if you are bent on changing you had some good shots at your wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    ......Should I change my avatar so i don't "look" like a biker or hitman as many people lovingly refer to me as?
    When did you stop being a hitman biker?

Seriously, I chose #3. Even though we know you and love you the way you are, a newbie will have no idea of the real you or your long-established reputation in this business. That newbie just may represent a potentially large client. For business development reasons alone, I would "upgrade" the look.

Here are the forum stats as I write this:
    Active Users: 1703 (150 members and 1553 guests)
    How many of the "guests" are here all the time? How many may really know you? How many may represent clients looking for ARC services?

Think about it. Those numbers mean that more than 1500+ "new" people may be here right now looking for leads and/or ideas. If a couple of them are looking for an OPM, and they do not know your good reputation, might they possibly be forming an opinion based on "first impressions?"
    Last edited by Beachy; February 28th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

FYI: my avatar is not me

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    Personally, I like your current avatar, but I've met you many times. Someone who has not yet met you and doesn't know your fun and kindly nature might be really intimidated by your current photo. I'd pick something something more friendly in appearance, but not stuffy since that's not who you are either.

-Karen
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

I always think of you as the Parasite-Terminator, and I think your avatar reflects that very well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    It looks like a pirate bandana to me, that's what I thought it was meant to be. I think a baseball cap for a hat instead, with something on the cap or in the photo, about - what else, fishing.

Professional would be a logo, but it's nice when avatars have a friendly, personalized look in a community.

<off-topic>
    Remember Michael Coley's old avatar with a cartoon guy peeking around a corner? Don't even ask what I thought it looked like every time I saw it.
    </off-topic>

I think a nice flamingo hat or shirt would look better.

I definitely saw it as a "biker" avatar, and I definitely think that it makes more sense to change it to something that is more "you" (personally or professionally).

I understand why may folks use pseudonyms and various avatars, but I think that if you're identifying yourself by name and promoting your company online, a "friendly and professional" photo is the best way to go.

Some folks may recall that for a while after I "uncloaked" here, I used a very old (1993) black-and-white publicity photo as my avatar. My wife eventually persuaded me to change it, and I clipped a head shot from one of the happiest days of my life (my wedding day -- view my profile to see a bigger picture).

I voted to keep it as is.

HOWEVER...

If you feel the need to make a change, I believe we should have a brief memorial service for the current one. It's a friend to us all.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio-ARC
    Andy,

I was actually considering changing the entires staff Avatar so it looks like yours..What gives?
    I was thinking about changing mine to a pic of myself...but say the word I will rock a bandana with you Andy and Emilio!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    We've all come to love that picture of you Andy - don't change it! It is synonymous w/ your identity in this industry by now! Your posts speak volumes to your professionalism, as does your fountain of knowledge and experience. It doesn't seem like the image has hurt your business in any way, if anything it may have helped it as your contacts see you as someone they can identify with, someone who is down to earth and who has a sense of humour while still knowing his stuff. Just my $0.02 but I say leave it as it is and voted accordingly.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Interesting results so far, maybe some merchsnts can chime in as well ..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast