Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    My Account of Affiliate Summit West 2008 [Warning: Long Post Ahead!]
    I was scheduled to fly out of BWI at 12:45 p.m. on Friday. Unfortunately, Southwest Airlines had other plans and we delayed for an hour while they prepped the plane. The Baltimore area had experienced a bit of snow and a bout of freezing rain the night before. I didn't realize how serious the weather had been until I arrived in Vegas and heard that so many other flights had been delayed and even cancelled. I was thankful to deal with just an hour delay.

I also thought I was on a direct flight from BWI to LAS, so I was a bit surprised to find out that we were making a stop in St. Louis. When I dive into a book, I put on my horse blinders and fall into the story, so the announcement took me a bit by surprise.

I arrived safe and sound and exhausted in Vegas, as well as extremely late for dinner plans with Loxly and a group she had recruited to meet up. I hate to be late. I checked in, threw my bags down and called Liz's cell to confirm our meeting place. She contacted Loxly and I found myself at the Masquerade Bar, hugging her in a matter of minutes! The group was great - Loxly, Oranges, Mike Nunez and more. While conversating, Sue and Rexanne stopped by to say hello, Michael and his lovely wife Kara joined us and Kara and I discussed the nuances of naturally curly hair.

Shortly after, Loxly said "Let's eat!" Since I was extremely ravenous, I was happy she was ushering us in the direction of food. I didn't want to tear myself away from the terrific company to eat alone. We ended up at Rub BBQ - Lox, Mike Nunez, Oranges and I. We talked about affiliate marketing, purchasing homes and everything in between. The food was delicious, the company warm and inviting and I felt truly at home with people I am lucky to call friends.

On Saturday, I slept in until 9, which is really 12 East Coast time. My body needed the rest and it also needed some caffeine! I hit the Starbucks to work on one of my wish list items. While there, I ran into Staril and the ARC team. After my coffee fix and doing as much as I could without Internet access, I wandered around for a bit. My hubby called and encouraged me to try a few slots, etc. but I didn't want to lose my hard earned money! After promising to give it a shot, I tried a $1.00 slot machine and turned $20 into $30. Nervous, I cashed out and went to another machine, where I watched my $30 go to $13. I promised myself I would stop at the $10 mark, and that would be that. I hit the Spin button one more time and hit for $374! It's not Billy Kay or Loxly winning status, but I'll take it! Of course I had to call the hubby and share the exciting news.

I grabbed lunch with Staril and she knew Leslie already, so we invited her to join us. We had a ball discussing life in general and other girl talk. We were joined by Donuts, who was not intimidated by the amount of estrogen at the table, and exchanged funny stories as well as "It was the best thing that ever happened to me" stories. A special thank you to the group for letting me recount a very personal time in my life and reminding me how grateful I am to be where I am now, doing the things that I love with the people I love in a safe and nurturing environment!

Adam and I also enjoyed a bit of gambling later in the day as well as a ton of laughs while bowling at Lucky Strikes. It's safe to say that neither of us will be giving up our affiliate marketing callings to become professional bowlers.

I missed the buy.at party, but not their Meet and Greet with advertising.com earlier in the afternoon. It was a nice quiet gathering in an intimate venue, so it was easy to network and talk with everyone.

The Affiliate Dinner on Saturday was a great time! Brian took his roasting like a man and the videos from the SAS team, Missy and Shawn were hilarious. Are those going to be posted somewhere!? The duck absolutely cracked me up and I was wanrting to store the footage of it away for when I needed a pick-me-up. Thanks to Kim, Annie, Rainmaker and more for being such delightful dining companions!

Sunday began with an early breakfast at Starbucks, where I ran into Jane from Quality Smith and Autoglass.net. It was fun to catch up with one another and I wish had had more time to talk, but I needed to prep for the Meet Market.

The Rio's Business Center was on the ball and delivered the box I shipped ahead without any problems (unlike last year's Meet Market ). I got to work setting up the table and spent the next six hours meeting and greeting people and giving away my 4Checks mousepads and leather checkbook covers. Thank you to everyone who stopped by and a special thanks to Beachy for manning the table with me. A special treat was that we were nestled in between two outstanding neighbors - ShareASale and CSN Stores. It was great to meet additional members of SAS (Sarah and Nate) that I hadn't before and to meet Brent as well. The wonderful thing about SAS is that they really know me as one of their merchants. They are a genuinely classy operation and I appreciate what they do for my program and for the industry.

After the Meet Market ended, Guest Services took what felt like forever to retrieve my box of leftovers, but I didn't mind because it gave me a fantastic opportunity to talk in a more intimate setting to Beachy and Brent. Brent, I sure hope CSN Stores recognizes what a gem they have in you. Congrats on your win!

The ShareASale party in the Sky Villa at the Palms was perfect. What more could anyone want? There were photo keepsakes for each guest, flowing open bars, a cheesecake bar and a beautiful place to relax and network. I loved the rotating bed and thank Karen and her companions for letting me come along for a ride! Exhausted and happy, I caught a ride back to the hotel with a group which included Andy of ARC. Thanks again for covering the fare, although it wasn't expected!

Monday was a whirlwind of activity which started with breakfast and Jason Calcanis' keynote, which I found both insulting and enlightening. While he made several resonating points about creating quality sites with fresh original content, etc., he could have made those same points without the profanity and without insulting an industry that he did not understand.

After the keynote, I perused the exhibit hall and grabbed a few goodies to bring home to the family and the work team. I spent so much time networking there and following up on appointments with partners, that I missed most of the sessions that day. I'm happy I'll be able to catch them on video soon.

The dinner I attended Monday evening was easily one of the biggest highlights of the entire Summit for me. Sometimes you meet people in your lifetime, people that are absolutely engaging and that possess an astounding amount of knowledge. I was blessed to spend a great time with great food with two such individuals and I am so thankful they chose to include me. Thank you for everything!

I finished off the night with a very fun round of Keno and was able to hang with a group that included very fun people - Beachy, Adam, Rolet and more! We didn't really keep up much with the game and many of us were first time players, but we had fun and that was the important part!

Tuesday was a day of sessions and networking, and I was sad to leave at 3:00 to catch my flight as I knew I was missing the ABW session. If any merchants need a testimonial as to the benefits of becoming an active member on ABW, please feel free to contact me. This community has the very best of intentions for the industry long term and can do wonders for you by way of educating you; motivating you and helping both you and your program grow to phenomenal heights. I know the power of ABW and I am thankful everyday for the relationships I have here.

Thank you to everyone for spending time talking to me, for introducing yourself to me or introducing me to someone else, for complimenting my program and for sharing ideas I have yet to work on. This is only a brief list of those that I spent time with:

Beachy, Judah, Jane, Adam, Rolet, Mark, HecticDMC, Loxly, Oranges, Mike Nunez, Michael and Kara Coley, Staril, Geno and his beautiful family, Kim, SouthBeachAnnie, Sandy, Scott, Donuts, Rexanne, Stephanie, Rainmaker, Brian, Carolyn, Sarah, Nate, Jen Goode, Leslie, Jeanine, Asif, Haiko and Michelle, ARC, Brent, Mike, Christopher, Iownies and many, many more...

Please know if I didn't list you here, it doesn't mean that you were not important to me! I look forward to the next Summit and spending more time with my ABW family as well as seeing many new faces. Affiliate Summit needs to be at least a week long!

Summit West 08 was just amazing and I thank Missy and Shawn for doing such a great job each time of pulling it all together. There is a lot of hard work and effort that go into the Summit and I am grateful for all that you do! Each Summit gets better and better and bigger and bigger.

Only 5 more months until Boston!!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Good times Kim, see you in Boston!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LOL - did you travel with a personal assistent who took notes??

Always great to see you - even tho you leave early 'cause you miss the kids

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    But what did you do in your spare time?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It was great to see you again. Loved the nice set of products you had on display at the Meet Market. Looked great and I for one did not realize all the products you carried besides just checks (realy cool checkbook covers).

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Kim, I did not attend Summit. But saw the post above. What other products do you offer? And are they not in your datafeed?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

@ Donuts - I'm looking forward to it!

@ Billy Kay - It was great to see you, too. I can't wait to see your photos. I hope you stayed out of the Men's bathroom this time.

@ visitourmall - In my spare time, I worked on my plans to take over the world... [insert Mike Myers' evil laugh here] J/K - I slept!!

@ 7-days - Thanks for the can cozies!

I love that at the Summit, you see people you haven't in 6+ months, and when you do, it feels like you have been apart for a week at most. ABW plays a huge part in filling in the blanks until we can all be together again. Thanks again, Haiko, for making it possible!

K - I all ready downloaded your picture sent it my ex-husbands wife and told her about you and you two could be sisters. She wants to meet you now! I am still astounded at the similarities!

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you, and I am truly excited to work with you in the future. You are one of the highlights of Vegas for me. You are one of the sweetest, nicest women I have met in a long time. You are so very genuine and a true pleasure to be around. Thank you for sharing some of your time with me in Vegas....

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Kim, I did not attend Summit. But saw the post above. What other products do you offer? And are they not in your datafeed?
    Each check design has its own suite of matching products - contact cards, address labels and leather checkbook covers. At the Summit, I was able to give out some of our leather checkbook covers, which was nice since everyone could see the quality of our products in the flesh.

I couldn't get mgmt. to set me up with blank checks , so it was nice to give away items we sell and produce, like the covers and the mousepads.

The extra items are not yet in the datafeed, but it is on my list to add them in there as soon as time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    K - I all ready downloaded your picture sent it my ex-husbands wife and told her about you and you two could be sisters. She wants to meet you now! I am still astounded at the similarities!

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you, and I am truly excited to work with you in the future. You are one of the highlights of Vegas for me. You are one of the sweetest, nicest women I have met in a long time. You are so very genuine and a true pleasure to be around. Thank you for sharing some of your time with me in Vegas....
    They say everyone has a twin.

Thank you for your compliments. Backatcha!!

The time we spent together, though brief, was packed with fun! I'm so glad you were able to make it and that I was able to meet you and Mark. You are a real sweetie and since the day you joined ABW, I've felt like you have always been here.

I look forward to running into you again in Boston!

You are one of the highlights of Vegas for me. You are one of the sweetest, nicest women I have met in a long time. So are so very genuine and a true pleasure to be around.
    Kim is the only female i don't publically embarras or pick on.

And it's exactly those reasons that Rolet mentions.

She's soooooooooooooo genuine, so wide-eyed, I can't cheapen her for the sake a quick laugh.

To get that much respect from me, she must be really special!!!

Billy Kay - ... I hope you stayed out of the Men's bathroom this time.

Soooo many different ways to respond... but...

Yes Kim. I held it in until summit was over

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

To get that much respect from me, she must be really special!!!
    She is! I owe her a hug at the next summit we're both at.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    ...I tried a $1.00 slot machine and turned $20 into $30. Nervous, I cashed out and went to another machine, where I watched my $30 go to $13. I promised myself I would stop at the $10 mark, and that would be that. I hit the Spin button one more time and hit for $374!
    Woo-hooooo!! Congratulations!

...Geno and his beautiful family
    Thanks you for your kind words, Kim. The "beatufiul family" says hello to you! We're in L.A. now. Coming back to DC tomorrow evening. Looking forward to new meetings with you!

Geno

Although I didn't get to spend as much quality time with Kim as I might have liked, the time I did spend in her company was great I can't expand or embellish what others have said, just know that I hold her in the same high regard.

Looking forward to seeing you in Boston, Kim
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

*blush*

Thank you for the kind words.

You guys don't have to live with me! Trust me, it's not all peaches and roses. I'm a Type A with OCD. My husband is going to qualify for sainthood.

This place is my second home. I check it throughout the day and again at home after the kiddies are in bed. My program has grown exponentially since I became active on ABW. The education you gain from the other members is amazing and being able to participate and grow here continues to be a wonderful experience for me. But it's the relationships, knowing that I can get a pick-me-up and virtual hugs on a rough day and give it back when it's needed - you just can't put a price tag on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Thanks you for your kind words, Kim.
    Geno
    Thank you for your nomination at Affiliate Dinner. I was very surprised and very humbled, especially since it came from someone I so admire.

Thank you for your nomination at Affiliate Dinner. I was very surprised and very humbled...
    That nomination was not a compliment. It reflected the real state of things. I was just registering the facts.

Sincerely.

Geno

Geeze - took me longer to read this thread than it took to fly back home.

Very nicely written, Kim. Your post could be a model of what people can expect when they attend an Affiliate Summit. There are tons of opportunities to get the job done - and to network - and to have fun (all at the same time).

It was, indeed, a pleasure working with you at the Meet Market. And even though we didn't win $$ at Keno we all had a grand time. I am looking forward to working more diligently with your program - because you have made a true believer out of me. I am also looking forward to more Mid-Atlantic Affiliate Marketing Association activities. There may be a "Beachy Daughter" at the next event - 'cause she just joined your program yesterday.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It was great hanging out at the Summit. I love your account of it.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread