trademark~~
    I've just read some 'trademark' realated treads, and considering to get my website name trademarked..
    I googled for the price and couple companies were providing the service for about $500(which is not bad but I don't want to spend my money on something that I don't need..Do you think you need to trademark your domain name?)
    Is there anybody who's trademarked the name?
    How much did you pay for? Any recommendation please?

I was one of those in the thread you talk about. After I got threatened with a lawsuit and accused of illegally using a trademark of another company, I decided to trademark my name. I went to the trademark website and paid, I think $350. And I also searched his company name in there to find it wasn't trademarked anyway.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    JAYMEDINC What is "the trademark website"? You can't be talking about the US Government Patent and Trademark Office site, as they do not have a "service" to prepare Trademark applications.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yeah, that's the one. Click on trademarks on the left, then click file online forms.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I don't think you can trademark a standalone domain name anymore.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Droob, what do you mean by "standalone domain?" I'm 'fuzed again.

I like traffic lights
    For a while they appeared to be letting trademarks apps through for domain names without any supporting evidence of actual usage of that domain as a trademark. Nowadays I think they ignore any appended TLD when they examine the TM.

People are also using TM's to game the new TLD process. Pick something that you think would make a good TLD, trademark it in some way, then you have the lock on it if someone tries to create a new gTLD later.

I like traffic lights
    Just as an add-on people are currently using trademarks as a way to game the future release of the 1 letter .com/.net names that were previously reserved.

Overstock is a big manipulator in this game - check out THIS post...

http://www.johnberryhill.com/single-letters.html

John Berryhill is considered to be the go-to guy if you need professional assistance protecting your valuable property from a frivolous domain TM claim, BTW.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Your best bet on domain names is to use very generic words or phrases - these can't be trademarked, but more importantly, you won't accidentally use someone else's trademark name. For example, using something like GIFTSFORSALE.C0M will not present a danger since the phrase "Gifts for sale" is a generic phrase. You can't trademark something like this, nor can anyone else. Using something like EXCALIBERGIFTS.C0M may very well be trademarked since it is more unique.

These are just my opinions that are not intended to provide legal advice. Seek the advice of an attorney in legal matters.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I like traffic lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Your best bet on domain names is to use very generic words or phrases - these can't be trademarked
    Words like gap or tide you mean?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread