Question Delete non-active keywords in Adwords?
    I have several key words in adwords that are not active since my set CPC is not high enough and I am not willing to increase my bid. Should I delete the keywords and only have active keywords in my account or should I just leave them their in a non active state?? Does Google care if keywords are not active?

One reason I thinking of leaving them is that google my lower the limit some day for the key word.

Delete them and move them to their own adgroup - you don't want to mess with your total quality score by keeping inactive keywords hanging around.

Another idea would be for you to set them to pause and not have them turned off by G. It is important to keep all your keyterms in good standing

Thank you for the advice

ABW Ambassador
    Does that really mess with/hurt the overall quality score by keeping them?

I was trying to read thru the FAQ and some of them might go live again. They'll be inactive for the search network but will still show for the content network. Then about taking them and adding to a different ad group:

"Don't delete an inactive keyword and then add it back to your account at a later time. Our system will remember its performance history, even if you re-add it to a different ad group."

So I've always just left them there, sometimes they go live again. But if anybody knows for sure if this isn't a good idea, might have to take a different approach.

I usually pause them until I figure out why the quality score is low or the price high, then find a way to fix the problem.

And yes, as Rolet says, keep them segregated from all your good keywords.

But if the keywords are simply not that relevant then they aren't worth my trouble and, if the ad campaign was small enough, I might keep them paused just as a way of reminding myself that I've already considered them. If the campaign were larger then I'll move them to an Excel file just to keep things neat and organized.

From my years of experience, if I have a keyword that is inactive and leave it within the same adgroup, it affects my overall spend and placement for that particular adgroup.

I will either pause it, if I know I am going to want to use it again soon, then I find out what the issue is and fix it. If I know that I am converting the way I want, and am not in need of any expansion on that particular campaign. Then I delete the inactive terms from their current adgroups and move them to a new one, thus grouping all my "problem children" allowing me to fix them and not affect my spend and placement in my other adgroups. Now mind you if you leave them in an new adgroup as inactive without fixing them or pausing them, that will affect the entire campaign as well. Google is very good at both separating bits and pieces of your campaign and taking the whole picture in to account. When every part of your campaign is organized how G likes it, your adgroups are well defined, keyterms are landing on highly relevant pages with very targeted ads, you will see a noticeable difference in your CPC and your CTR and your placement.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread