Custom Blog Design- Feedback/Suggestions
    I'm in the process of creating several niche market blogs where I would like to utilize my affiliate partners to generate revenue.

I'm hoping to get a thread started where people can share feedback on good Custom Blog Design services and perhaps feedback on which operating software to use ie. Wordpress, Typepad, etc.

Anyone have feedback on a good blog design firm/person?
    Last edited by CustomersFirst; March 1st, 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

WordPress would be the only platform to use, in my opinion. There are thousands of readily available free and very cheap themes that can be almost totally customized.

Plus, there are even a couple of software packages and plugins out there for WP which allow you to integrate merchant datafeeds into the blog.

There was interest a couple of weeks ago in establishing a sub-forum here related to WordPress, but nothing's happened on that yet.

But forgive me, I didn't mean to turn this into a WP thread, as your interest is in using blogs for niche marketing.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    If you like to make your own custom designs, and want to use wordpress, try http://www.themespress.com/, it only cost $10 to convert your design.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    1) Use Wordpress

2) There are plenty of free themes available and you might find something you like and are able to customize yourself

3) If you really want something custom there's this company called Unique Blog Designs. I have not used them so this isn't a testimonial, but I have seen their work on blogs I read and I like it. I also like Nathan Rice. He has free themes but he does design work too. Haven't worked with him, I just use some of his themes.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Be careful with some themes. I was reading last month that some sites repackage free themes and throw some malicious/spyware type coding in. Most free themes require backlinks in the footer to the original designer.

Which is why you should only get themes from reputable sources like WeblogsToolsCollection.com which screens themes for any crap before they post them.

Most of the crap isn't spyware, it's hidden links.

Okay, ProWebAddict -- what's the deal? The link you posted goes to some sort of parked domain page filled with a ton of junk to generate clicks?? It isn't, as far as I can tell, a place to get reputable WordPress themes.

I thought at first I hadn't done the URL correctly, but I tried it very carefully three times and each time it took me to a spammy parked landing page??
    Generate more fake news.

My bad it's singular not plural.

weblogtoolscollection.com

S can be tricky. There's no s after weblog.

It should be this Gary:

http://weblogtoolscollection.com/

no "s" in the first part of the URL.

EDIT: yeah, what ProWebAddict said. I got in the middle of something else while preparing my post.

-sfcom

Thank you so much. I really couldn't believe that first site was intentional.

Hate when those "S"'s, uh S's, uh -- anyway, you know what I mean! -- get in the way. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It is very easy to customize a Wordpress theme. There are plenty of themes already out there. Just find an overall design you like that is free and then modify it. The themes use DIVs and CSS files. You'll save money too.

Wordpress no doubt. In addition there are tons of sites and places to get themes. From monstertemplate.com to the wordpress site. Easily customizable.

Hope this is in keeping with this thread, but I've got a WP problem or issue or something, for which I've been seeking an answer for MONTHS. Here goes. (Mods, please delete if you think it's off-topic too badly, or move to a better slot??)

Most widgetized WP themes allow you to create multiple instances of the "Category" widget. But every one of 'em show the SAME categories.

Is there a plugin or hack or something that will let me create, say, 2 "Category" widgets, and have each display a unique set of categories?

I asked this same question at the WP support forum, got a half-baked partial answer, laced with some ridicule, etc., then never heard more.

Anyone? BTW -- feel free to PM me if that'd work better if you have an answer or solution for me? Thanks, O WP Gurus reading this!
    Generate more fake news.

Huh?

I'd love to help but I don't get it. I'm probably thinking too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Huh?

I'd love to help but I don't get it. I'm probably thinking too hard.
    Yeah, I know.

Let me try again.

In WP themes that use widgets, if you go into the dashboard, then click "Presentation," then click "Widgets," you'll have a question under the display of various widget boxes available which says, among other things, this:

"Categories Widgets

How many categories widgets would you like?"

You then select a drop-down number, usually 1-9, hit "Save," and you get that many "Category" widgets to put into your WP sidebar(s).

BUT -- Whether you use 1, 2, 9, etc., of the "Category" widgets, every one of them will display all of your categories. I see absolutely no point in displaying all, say 12, of my categories in more than one place in my sidebar(s).

If I could, however, select 6 of those categories in one "Category" widget and 6 DIFFERENT categories in another "Category" widget, I could see real value in having more than one "Category" widget in my sidebar(s).

Is there a plugin or WP hack which will allow me to do that? If so, what would it be? If not, why in the world are we given the option of creating more than one "Category" widget?

Hope I've made myself clearer there. I've tried to find something that'll do this for several months for a WP-driven online shopping mall I'm working on.
    Generate more fake news.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread