2 shops on a page?
    I just bought a domain with a concept in mind, dividing the site down the middle of the page into opposite categories with similar products...think of it as men's watches, women's watches etc.

I'm fishing for ways to accomplish this. Can 2 shops coexist on the same page? One method I'm considering would be to use a php executable mod for wordpress (removing comments and registration) And then inserting the popshops php code into a 2 column page template.

Or maybe I could build single shops where I organize products left and right and look at editing the php code to change styling...this would be more cumbersome, I think.

Or I could hand code a simple php site, but I really would prefer using wordpress to keep this easy for me.

All brilliant, wacky, or dumb ideas appreciated. (No one here to bounce ideas off of...)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzylee77
    ......I just bought a domain with a concept in mind, dividing the site down the middle of the page into opposite categories with similar products...think of it as men's watches, women's watches etc......All brilliant, wacky, or dumb ideas appreciated. (No one here to bounce ideas off of...)......
    Not sure about "brilliant" because that belongs in the Guinness commercials. But I do think it is a good idea. I have been planning to do that for quite a while - just haven't found the time yet - but really should be done soon.

My example (most folks here know I work in the travel vertical): There are two neighboring cities, Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO. I have a domain that reflects that -- KansasCitys dot-com. Right now it simply frames a hotel list for the Missouri city. However, I envision splitting the home page into a column representing each city with a "travel" introduction to each one.

To accomplish this I'll need the help of a creative graphic artist - calling AlexBet.com.

Using the adage of "Nothing ventured nothing gained" - I think you should give it a try. I think it could be a good intro to a site for anything with an obvious "pair" of categories; men/women, gold/silver. There is a women's clothing store with that theme: White House | Black Market. Their website doesn't quite reflect the "difference" but walking into one of their stores certainly does.

Go for it. And Good luck.

Now, someone else can address the techie part of your post.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    The only time I've tried more than one shop on a page is via squidoo and it worked just fine.

I'm not techie so that's all I can say.

I've had quite a few funny ideas for this occur to me today. I best stay away from godaddy...

What would be awesome, would be a cms with navigation appearing down the middle of the post page. Maybe I can figure that out by messing with wordpress template tags.

I have several sites with more than one popshop shop per page. It seems to work all right. When I first started doing it, probably a year ago (I dunno how long popshops has been around now, but it was early on), there was some issue about the autofeed function causing both shops to advance even though I only clicked "Next" on one.

To tell you the truth, the sites I have more than one shop on don't yet draw much traffic, and it hasn't occurred to me to check and see whether that's still an issue -- the autofeed thing, that is.

Anyone else know how autofeed works (or not) on pages with multiple shops?
    Generate more fake news.

Although you can have more than one shop on your page, it slows down loading and can create AutoFeed conflicts.

On Monday I'll ask Dan if he knows of a way to hack your the concept. I know that one ABW'er has a hack of a decorative border between her rows.

Jessie

Thanks. I think I'll put this on the sideburner till I hear about that hack. I just started reading about wordpress templates and I could just feel my valuable time draining away.

If it works, using a single store per page would no doubt be more efficient.
    Lets say there is a way to graphically divide a couple sets of columns in one store. Does popshops autofeed add new items according to each positions terms? I mean will the types of products consistently stay on each side of the dividing line? If not I suppose I could do without the autofeed.

Hi Jazzylee77,

Ok, so pardon the sleep-deprived response, but I'm now more clearly understanding what you are looking for. To be honest, you might need to have something custom built with our coming API (developer tool). Our shopbuilder probably won't do what you need in terms of making each of the shops look distinctly different and having them feed in products unique to that theme.

You can always toss in a couple shops and see how they behave. PHP might work, I know there are JavaScript conflicts if you use JavaScript.

Jessie

I've been messing with it today, and as expected the autofeed won't be an option as is. But running 2 shops in in wordpress with a php plugin is fine.

Except for the last couple nagging css issues. I'm having trouble getting the post to center instead of floating left. There will be a background image helping divide things, so this is critical.

I've got 25 pages with three shops per page, and aside from minor rare caching issues, it works just fine (even with autofeed)

Jazzylee77,

Yes you can alter the CSS of a particular shop and add a divider down the middle (which should solve your centering problem). I had multiple one-item shops on a page with a scroll graphic in between and Dan showed me how to use ONE popshop with a CSS rule to add the image. It was a cinch!

I just created a test shop with black items on one side and white on the other and put a 5x5 pixel border down the middle using a small gif. This worked great. You'll have to first create the shop with a borderless style and then view the source to get the 5 digit Popshop code for that storefront. (This might be cumbersome if you have a lot of pages to do however.) Here's the style to add to that page (substitute your number for xxxxx and graphic name, etc)...

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    #PopShopxxxxx table {
    background:url(gfx/testdivider.gif) repeat-y top center;
    }
    -->
    </style>

You could also simply apply a border to the left and right of every table cell if your Popshop were 2 columns, which would give you a definite left - right look. Something like this....

<style type="text/css">
    <!--

#PopShopxxxxx td.pspsCell {
    border-left: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
    border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
    }
    -->
    </style>

If you have more than 2 columns then the graphic just down the center would work best. Good luck and hope this helps. I'd post the URL to my test page but it seems like even that is a no-no around here. (?)
    Last edited by joyaz; March 3rd, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Oh, and adding to my above post, I tested autofeed and the specific products do not stay in the specific cells on subsequent pages. Even though I searched for "black dress" or "white dress" the autofeed pages don't reflect the same left-right division of products. I didn't think it would, but had to try.

Thanks for the tips. I may use that idea for background images elsewhere. I'm too deep into my customized wordpress theme to move away from that now.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread