How Concerned Should I/We Be By This?
    The following is a transcript of an instant message conversation I had with a hosting affiliate manager earlier today... what do people think?

ME: question for you...
    AM: I hope I have an answer!
    ME: when someone goes to your hosting signup page...
    AM: What's up?
    ME: if they try to leave the page...
    ME: they get a little chat thing about a special...
    AM: Yes
    ME: should affiliates be concerned? (i.e. do we still get credit if they go for the special?)
    AM: If that box causes them to sign up (i.e. they click the link to sign up) then you do not get the sale, no. That person was already leaving our site.
    ME: well, they were leaving your signup page... (which i only went to in order to figure out the pricing breaks based on how long you sign up)
    ME: any circumstance besides someone leaving your signup page that triggers the chat window?
    AM: Not at all
    ME: just asking
    AM: And it's only the order form
    AM: Not the rest of the site
    ME: when did you add the chat thing?
    AM: A few months ago, 2-3.
    ME: k
    ME: thanks
    AM: No problem
    I can imagine plenty of situations where someone might leave the order page with the intention of coming back and then my sale gets sidetracked.

Or am I being paranoid?

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I don't think you're being paranoid. Let's say they've got a 30-day cookie, and they promote that to their affiliates. If the person is being offered a special deal on the way out that kills your commission... no, I call shenanigans on that. Sure, the person could turn down the deal, your cookie could still be good, and if they go back a week later and sign up you might get the commission (if that triggered window doesn't wipe the cookie, but that's a whole 'nother question). Definitely not a good situation, IMO.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

No Longer Banned!
    Am I Being Ripped Off By These Guys ? My 2 cents....
    Hi

I am the least qualified person to answer this Just to be honest.

I think that smells bad and it might not be good for you. ~ That's my

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I agree with Daniel. They have in fact nullified your cookie at that point and unless they have outlined this separate process in their T's & C's, they have in fact violated their own TOS. I would report them to the network and let them deal with the issue. If they are cheating you, then they are also cheating the network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Daniel is right on with tis - this is shady, first off the visitor wouldn't have been to their site if hadn't been for you. So why on earth do you not get credit? That is just plain ridiculous.

Second, if they made this change 2-3 months ago, then they should have notified everyone of their affiliates that they can lose their commission if a visitor only purchases on the way out.

AM: If that box causes them to sign up (i.e. they click the link to sign up) then you do not get the sale, no. That person was already leaving our site.
    Apparently they do not understand the concept of cookie duration. It really doesn't matter how many times a visitor leaves their site, if they have a 30 day cookie and it hasn't been overwritten by another AFFILIATE cookie then they owe the originating affiliate a commission.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Apparently they do not understand the concept of cookie duration. It really doesn't matter how many times a visitor leaves their site, if they have a 30 day cookie and it hasn't been overwritten by another AFFILIATE cookie then they owe the originating affiliate a commission.

-rematt
    Unless the pop up chat box cancels the affiliate cookie...........

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    Unless the pop up chat box cancels the affiliate cookie...........
    That would not be a legitimate way to cancel the affiliate cookie and would be an indication of an intend to defraud the affiliate out a commission. I'd like to think that this is an honest error, however...

-rematt

Angry
    sure . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    I don't think you're being paranoid. Let's say they've got a 30-day cookie, ...
    Worse. It's a 365 day cookie.

And I just checked. There is nothing in their "Affiliate Terms of Service Contract" that covers this or allows this.

That said, I do not have any proof that I have lost commissions, but I am not happy about this.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by jrrl
    That said, I do not have any proof that I have lost commissions, but I am not happy about this.
    Whether you have or haven't, the potential is still there. I'd be curious how they justify that leak.

I wonder if the pop-up is being provided by a third party who is getting paid in commissions after pitching the merchant on converting exit traffic. Stranger things have happened...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    I wonder if the pop-up is being provided by a third party who is getting paid in commissions after pitching the merchant on converting exit traffic. Stranger things have happened...
    That's what it sounds like to me.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I agree that the visitor wouldn't be on the site if it wasn't for the affiliate. It shouldn't matter how the visitor gets knocked around the pin ball machine once inside, it is still the affiliates quarter.

I pointed the AM in question at this thread, but have not received any response.

-John.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread