Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Longer Banned!
    Direct from Buy Button To Shopping Cart ???....
    Hi

Any ideas on how I can go directly from the buy button on my web pages to the merchants shopping cart w/o the customer seeing the merchants shell/ phone #'s/ Landing pages.

Things seem to have changed and I am attempting to make it look like the content is not coming from some where else.

I will also want to try to cloak the merchant links too, but I'll wait for another thread for that ya'all.

Eye Head aches hurt like the dickens. ~ OOPS ! OT.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I don't think thats possible, at least not without a mess of work.
    I think you'd want a shop.com type relationship.. I never researched how they work, but I don't think it's the same affiliate relationship most of us use here.

No Longer Banned!
    My own Stuff ??....
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    I don't think thats possible, at least not without a mess of work.
    I think you'd want a shop.com type relationship.. I never researched how they work, but I don't think it's the same affiliate relationship most of us use here.
    Preferably I'd prefer my own .jpg's descriptive text and buy buttons that go direct to the shopping cart.

Is there a way to talk the merchants/ networks into letting me do it if I offer to do all the work ??

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Steve, this would require a level of integration into the merchants back -end that most merchants would not be willing to give due to the complexities of managing this type of integration and it's inherent security issues.

You could try contacting the merchants that you would like to have this type of integration with and request access to their carts, but I doubt that you will have much luck.

There are a couple of other threads around here someplace and I think one did mention a couple of merchants that did allow this. Good hunting.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

No Longer Banned!
    Merchant Hand cuffs ?....
    Rematt

Hmmmm..... This is a small obstacle I will need to over come.

There must be an ETHICAL means to to this with out their permission. I will need to weigh just what that is and how to do it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    There must be an ETHICAL means to to this with out their permission. I will need to weigh just what that is and how to do it.
    Steve, the only way to access a merchants cart without their permission would involve hacking, which would not only be unethical but also illegal. You must understand that merchants do not allow this type of access to to the very large security hole that it creates for them and their customers.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

No Longer Banned!
    Steves Dilemma With Product links.......
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Steve, the only way to access a merchants cart without their permission would involve hacking, which would not only be unethical but also illegal. You must understand that merchants do not allow this type of access to to the very large security hole that it creates for them and their customers.

-rematt
    Hmmmm.... Well. I do not know how to hack any thing including my own servers. And while I like computers a lot, I certainly don't like them that much to learn how to hack..... So that is out of the question.

I was thinking more along the lines of having my own shopping cart but of course this is something I have not fully weighed yet so I will need to bat it around some. I am beginning to think that this goes far beyond a hack or affiliate marketing. I just don't know much about this part yet, so I need to evaluate it some more too.....

Maybe the merchant will have to go through me perhaps ?

feed back would be great.

Steve

It sounds like you may want to consider becoming a merchant yourself. There is a current thread that addressees the differences between being a merchant and affiliate: Affiliate vs. eCommerce. Leader (post #7) put together a pretty comprehensive contrast of the two methods.

-rematt

http and a telephoto
    Steve, you would need a drop shipping relationship instead of an affiliate relationship and have your own shopping cart. You can't pretend that you are the merchant and then have shoppers buy from someone else.

Affiliates send traffic to merchants to convert. You are looking at a different model if you want to be the merchant, or look like the merchant. There are some companies that have white label sites that make it look like you are the merchant, but they are few and far between.

You need to be ready to do all the customer service if you want to do direct to cart. And be ready for a high level of abandonment when the shoppers realize they are shopping where they thought they were.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I am not trying to be mean, I PROMISE!!!!!

But I think before you look at the complexities of becoming a merchant, or a custom integration, perhaps you should develop a website that produces sales in order to give your request to any merchant more backbone. Steve's Apparel has not had any modifications made to it since you asked for a site review and no merchant will take you seriously if you are not making GREAT monthly sales on a reoccurring basis.

Please do not take this as a put down at all. I am only pointing out that in order to get this level of a partnership, you have to prove to the merchant and the AM that it is in their benefit.

Edit: I was wrong you have made modifications to your site and it does look so much better than the old site. Way to go!

No Longer Banned!
    The Merchants Must Go through Me ??,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    I am not trying to be mean, I PROMISE!!!!!

But I think before you look at the complexities of becoming a merchant, or a custom integration, perhaps you should develop a website that produces sales in order to give your request to any merchant more backbone. Steve's Apparel has not had any modifications made to it since you asked for a site review and no merchant will take you seriously if you are not making GREAT monthly sales on a reoccurring basis.

Please do not take this as a put down at all. I am only pointing out that in order to get this level of a partnership, you have to prove to the merchant and the AM that it is in their benefit.

Edit: I was wrong you have made modifications to your site and it does look so much better than the old site. Way to go!
    Rolet

No ma'am, I don't think you are mean. This post does not even close to mean. You done a fine job ! Besides, I'm too tired to be insulted.

In any case, point well taken. I am bothered by the fact that I will have the merchants baggage plastered all over my brand new web site and I am not quite ready to make these changes yet, though I am ready to learn more and evaluate my options and then decide what I want to do. ~ Or my best course of action.

I Have made a promise that I will not let this go to waste and that this year I will do things far different than ever before. I have been swamped this week, but I will also be switching hosts as soon as the nice young lady calls me on the phone {As promised} and we can work out the last few details.

Soooo......... I am weighing how far I want to/ need to go and just what I will need to do to accomplish this.

I feel you loxly. You are correct. This is in part why I need to weigh the different models and their options to settle on how I want to structure my vertical.

May be that I am wrong, but it sounds like I don't necessarily want to be a full blown merchant either. I will need to evaluate this some more. I'll start by reading the merchant link.

Also, My new host will be providing me with a new custom platform and a shopping cart. Both my web sites will be Joomla based when this transition is complete. This will be a giant leap forward toward that goal. As you can see I am chipping away at it and I am trying to weigh it.

I am con fused as to why a customer would exit w/o purchase when they see that they are where they thought they were supposed to be in the first place. Was this a typpo ? very interesting thought though.

To me the merchant is going to both trample and dilute our brand and I seem to think that I can get more traffic/ better quality traffic if I don't display the merchants shell/ phone #/ Baggage, ect ect.
    Great Ideas here guys ! Keep them coming......

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 3rd, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Loxly Has some Great I deas that Inspred Me......

http and a telephoto
    Steve, one of the things a customer needs is to trust the site they are shopping online at. The merchant has that trust, your site doesn't. Your site is a funnel to get the shopper to the merchant, where the secure certificate is, where the shopping cart is. If you have direct to cart links on your site and the shopper goes from a link on stevesapparel.com to merchantshoppingcart.com they get scared that you are a site that is phishing to get their credit card information. If you have links on stevesapparel that says, go here to buy this, then the shopper knows you are sending them somewhere to make a purchase.
    Deborah Carney

No Longer Banned!
    Loxly is on the right track, Yo....
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Steve, one of the things a customer needs is to trust the site they are shopping online at. The merchant has that trust, your site doesn't. Your site is a funnel to get the shopper to the merchant, where the secure certificate is, where the shopping cart is. If you have direct to cart links on your site and the shopper goes from a link on stevesapparel.com to merchantshoppingcart.com they get scared that you are a site that is phishing to get their credit card information. If you have links on stevesapparel that says, go here to buy this, then the shopper knows you are sending them somewhere to make a purchase.
    This will sound really dumd, but why can't I just cloak the carts url ? So it will now say some thing like http://www.StevesApparel.com/cart.Ph...349033237/asp? as opposed to http://www.merchantsSiteWare.com/Mer...ping_Cart.xml? ~?

NOTE: LINKS ARE DEAD.....

Seems to solve a portion of the issues at hand, Eh ?

Steve

http and a telephoto
    No Steve, that won't work. Merchants are not going to allow purchases to be made on a url that isn't theirs, and the banks etc have strick rules about secure servers and the customers knowing where they are buying from. What happens when the credit card is charged from merchantname instead of StevesApparel and the box the merchandise comes in is from Merchant and the people have no clue who they bought from?
    Deborah Carney

There is only one merchant I'm aware of that allows this kind of behavior - CafePress - and even then, it's not as fully transparent as you're asking for. It's highly, highly irregular to try to dupe the customer like that, and to be brutally honest, that's what you're asking for: the ability to trick the customer. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence or trust, which is vital to a business' success. Drop shipping is one thing, but you're asking how to hack a merchant's cart instead of using your own - totally different situation.

Loxly said it best.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

No Longer Banned!
    Dan Is Suspicious of my Motives ? ~ Again.....
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    There is only one merchant I'm aware of that allows this kind of behavior - CafePress - and even then, it's not as fully transparent as you're asking for. It's highly, highly irregular to try to dupe the customer like that, and to be brutally honest, that's what you're asking for: the ability to trick the customer. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence or trust, which is vital to a business' success. Drop shipping is one thing, but you're asking how to hack a merchant's cart instead of using your own - totally different situation.

Loxly said it best.
    Dan

***This thread is about building a brand. Not paying to build someone else's **** ~ :wink:

So again, I am weighing an ethical means to do this.

Incorrect on the Hacking Dan. This would be a custom code provided by the merchants to me for me and the customer would be told on the cart that xyz would show up as acmemerchant.com. As Rolet pointed out, I'd need to make some fabulous sales to get this done.

Since the merchants are not likely to custom make code or remove their baggage from their links, I am getting the idea I will need to assemble my own from scratch. Avoiding the merchants all together.

Maybe I should slowly integrate this as I go. Drop shipping is no problem, and I don't have an issue with going to the post office every few days.

VisitourMall might be able to offer some insight in to this sort of thing.

I read Leaders post #7. Nice general out line.

Still weighing it all yo.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 4th, 2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added sig. twice.....

No, Steve, I'm not suspicious of your motives. You've spelled out your motives very clearly.
    I am attempting to make it look like the content is not coming from some where else.

I will also want to try to cloak the merchant links too
    You are trying to trick the user into thinking the content and products are yours.
    There must be an ETHICAL means to to this with out their permission.
    There is no ethical way to do something like this without someone's permission. Again, trickery.
    I am bothered by the fact that I will have the merchants baggage plastered all over my brand new web site
    The merchant's "baggage" is their shopping cart? Or the fact that their name is on it? Let me ask this: when the customer needs to make a return, who are they going to go to? You? What do you think will happen when you explain that they actually bought from Company YYZ instead of the company they thought they were buying from - you? Think that customer will shop at your site again?

Your intentions, though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you might not realize it, are to trick the consumers and merchants alike - read what you wrote, and please try to understand how you're coming across.

Lastly,
    Since the merchants are not likely to custom make code or remove their baggage from their links...
    I'd appreciate it if you'd define what "baggage" is, since you've referenced it a few times.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I get what you are saying Steve but you can still build a brand without it being your shopping cart. If you have a good site that adds value then people will come back.

Have your own mailing list, have a coupons section, etc. Why do people come to my site xx instead of going directly to brand yz? Because I've done all the work in finding the best products in x-niche (from many merchants) and I have a mailing list I try to update weekly, etc.

Your own shopping cart isn't as important as you think if your goal is to be an affiliate and not a merchant.

No Longer Banned!
    Dan Is At It Again....
    Dan

Your comments are off topic and Are not accomplishing anything.

Thank you for your reply though Dan.

Steve

I quoted you, but it's off topic? Fine... do whatever you want. Trick your users. Take the merchants out of the picture. Find a way to hack their shopping carts. Go for it - and tell us how it works out for you.

Incidentally - you know how people have been talking about how the industry needs to be cleaned up? This kind of behavior is part of what they're talking about. FYI. But you go ahead and do whatever you want.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Dan

Your comments are off topic and Are not accomplishing anything.

Thank you for your reply though Dan.
    How are his comments off topic? This is very much on topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    when the customer needs to make a return, who are they going to go to?
    Are you going to handle the returns, the customer calls about shipping and damaged products?

You say you want to build your brand, not someone elses. What brand do you have if you are using someone elses shopping cart without the 'baggage'? Why would a merchant do all of the work of maintaining the cart, paying the merchant processing fees and holding stock for you to build your brand? This is what drop shipping is, not affiliate marketing.

There are several companies that offer drop shipping and you can build your own brand with them with little or no money up front.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

No Longer Banned!
    You Got The Right One Baby; Uhhh Huh !....
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I get what you are saying Steve but you can still build a brand without it being your shopping cart. If you have a good site that adds value then people will come back.

Have your own mailing list, have a coupons section, etc. Why do people come to my site xx instead of going directly to brand yz? Because I've done all the work in finding the best products in x-niche (from many merchants) and I have a mailing list I try to update weekly, etc.

Your own shopping cart isn't as important as you think if your goal is to be an affiliate and not a merchant.
    Absolutely. You seem to be right on the money here for the most part.

I'd like to try to be a hybrid of sorts. ~ At least I once thought I did anyway.

My main objection is that the products are surrounded by the merchants shell/ Markings and Baggage.

I realise that many brans such as AutoZone, Wal*Mart, TruckPro do very well at selling and advertising mixed name brands. Still I'd prefer to be a private label only. Not revealing my suppliers the same as GM, Ford, Kenworth, Western Star, Allison, DANA, Chrysler, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Canepa Designs, Dell, Borg Warner, New Process, TTC, Fruit Of The Loom, Ross Perot, Donald Trump, Dannon, Borden, Gorton's, Anheiser Bush and many other manufactuers that really don't manufacture anything at all. They simply buy it and resell it with out the manufacterers/ Distributors label on it.

To me, this is the path to getting the most out of the quality traffic I would have to work to find any way.

I agree that the shopping cart is not a big deal too. I'd prefer to simply have my brand visible/ Trusted and drawing traffic. Even if that means I need to take 1.2 million photographs and write the code for each product via an agency.

You are correct that I don't necessarily want to be a full blown merchant. Though I would do so if this is what I'd have to do to achieve this goal. Something I must ponder though.

I really want to be completely independent. At least on this one model any way.

Steve

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    My main objection is that the products are surrounded by the merchants shell/ Markings and Baggage.

I agree that the shopping cart is not a big deal too. I'd prefer to simply have my brand visible/ Trusted and drawing traffic. Even if that means I need to take 1.2 million photographs and write the code for each product via an agency.

I really want to be completely independent. At least on this one model any way.

Steve
    From your description it seems as if you want to be a merchant, not an affiliate. Or you want the ease (to some degree) of being an affiliate, with the perks of being a merchant. Sometimes you can have it all, sometimes you can't. I would guess the only medium in between would be drop shipping.

Speaking of branding, where is the apparel on StevesApparel?

http and a telephoto
    Steve, Hectic was certainly on topic, please don't tell him what to post and what not to just because you disagree with his points.
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast