ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I just got DSL, which is great, but ever since I've been getting these adcaster ads popping up randomly on my machine. The website this crap seems to be coming from is:

http://www.geocities.com/advertbroadcast/

I did a scan of my system at doxdesk and my system is listed as parasite free.

So, my quesiton is, what the heck is this thing? And how to disable it?? These things are really worse than a whenu popup ad - as ads are delivered to the desktop (you don't even have to be surfing to get hit by these things).

From the website:

ONLY AdCaster Extreme has the following benefits:

- Runs on Windows 98/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP

- Adcaster Extreme has a SPECIAL delivery method which bypasses filtering done by ISPs (e.g. AOL) and ensure your messages get delivered. Our messages make it there, competitor's products DON'T

- Adcaster Extreme lets you use SOCKS5 proxy servers to broadcast your message. So even if your marketing efforts cause complaints, the broadcasts can essentially be from anonymous sources - your Internet connection will be safe! NO OTHER Windows Messaging Product supports this!

Thanks.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Solution!!

After a rather painful search through Google, I figured out what this crap is. I posted in in my forum for my own sites visitors, but thought this might be beneficial for others here as well. So, here's the message I posted in my forum. Hope this helps somebody.

Damn, I hate SPAM!!

To all Forum Members,

I finally got DSL on my computer (way overdue!) and soon thereafter these popup's started displaying right on my windows desktop. I didn't even need to be browsing the web to get these damn ads. Long as I was connected, these irritating ads popped up on the screen, virtually hiding the desktop.

This popup was triggered by something called Adcaster Extreme. What this sly program does is use the basic built-in security laxes of Windows 2000 and Windows XP to broadcast instant messages to IP addresses. IP addresses are stored in a database somewhere, and then ads are then sent out to them. When I got DSL, I ended up with a new, dynamic IP address that must have been in this database. Hence, the ads.

Happily, killing off these ads (and also improving the security of your computer) is pretty easily done. I found this info on a message board someplace and it worked for me. Here's how to do it:

Windows 2000

Click Start->Settings -> Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Windows XP

Click Start->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

Additional information about AdCaster Extreme can be found on this crappy website that was spawning the ads that showed on my own computer.

http://www.geocities.com/advertbroadcast/

Crap like this is what is giving the Internet a bad name.

Jim

not completely sure,
    but some of the boiler text are also used on this site:
    http://www.advertisingip.com
    and:
    http://www.vellp.com

pete

[This message was edited by Mokum on July 06, 2003 at 04:12 AM.]

Jim wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Crap like this is what is giving the Internet a bad name.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is so right!

I hate this garbage, and any person or company who takes advantage of a computer user just because they can should be put out of business. They are taking advantage of others.

Glad you figured out how to disable the jerks from popping up on your computer!

Andy

Thanks for that tip Jim, those popups were getting way out of control!

Messenger spam like this has been around for a while. A properly configured firewall is a better idea than stopping the Messenger service, as some applications (such as anti-virus applications) tend to use Messenger to communicate with you.

(Note, this is *not* MSN Messenger, it's a component of the Windows NT/2000/XP operating systems).

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread