Merchants, please update data feeds
    I know that this has been so done but still, I'm cranky.

I rarely speak up but am now in case it makes any difference at all. I make sites, I keep quiet. BUT - Please, merchants, update your data feeds! You and I both are missing out on a lot of business. It is my opinion that if a merchant has not updated a feed, or has two items in a feed (yes, two items from a merchant who carries hundreds of products) - the merchant should not be allowed to be listed as even having an available feed. It's ridiculous and completely useless to work with data that is say, a bloody year old. No update in a year??? That's not a data feed, it's a txt file with a load of typing.

I have spent two days trying to update pricing and stock on my sites. It's like pulling teeth and should be easy. I sell a lot with feeds. If merchants want quality publishers who work their sites and try to make them successful, give us the tools. It's a symbiotic relationship. I am not sure why these merchants are listed as having data feeds.

At this point I am dropping some great merchants due to this issue and I hate to do that due to their product lines, but it's just too high maintenance. I signed up with SAS for these more interesting merchants. I like SAS and want it to work.

I am not asking for tons of information. I don't even care if there are no descriptions, but just pricing, links, new products and delete obsolete items. At least every three months. I'm not asking for more.

I have three merchants who update their data regularly. I blow you cyber kisses and hope to make lots of money for you. One of them in particular I am going to start working very strongly simply because they impress me with their attention to the info they make available to me - and I do not need much attention. A loss for the other guys.

I came, I saw, I fussed. Phooey I say.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by layla
    I have three merchants who update their data regularly. I blow you cyber kisses and hope to make lots of money for you. One of them in particular I am going to start working very strongly simply because they impress me with their attention to the info they make available to me - and I do not need much attention. A loss for the other guys.I came, I saw, I fussed. Phooey I say.
    Hi layla, I hope our www.EverythingFurniture.com is one of them, or atleast a future one of them .

Our data feed are updated automatically about 6-8 times per month. It is an automated proces that we have thanks to our datafeed tools expert and programmer from http://www.yourstorewizards.com. Also used by many other merchants within SAS. Send your other merchants that are not sure how it works there if they need auto updating feeds.

Btw, Welcome to ABW

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Pets Warehouse sends updated data feeds directly not thru the SAS interface.

Therefore, please contact us directly.

Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Ugh, Layla, I totally agree!! Good point, and I hope all merchants see this thread... you have no idea what it's like trying to promote you without the proper tools. If I can't link to current inventory, you deny me the power to sell - it's like a physical store not allowing a sales team access to the latest products.

While not through SAS, I'm battling one merchant (or AM) who continues to treat the datafeed like a yo-yo. For months it contains every eligible product, then with no warning, it's 20% of original size. I seem to be the only one jumping up & down when it happens. I would drop the merchant if it wasn't such a good fit - when traffic is good, they are one of my top merchants.

My only alternative is to decrease profiling in favor of more consistent feeds.. but it's VERY frustrating.

Well timed thread for me...

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Very reasonable request / expectation Layla. Good reminder for all merchants. You can't maximize sales if you don't keep your data feed current.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by layla
    I know that this has been so done but still, I'm cranky.

I came, I saw, I fussed. Phooey I say.
    Perfectly alright to be cranky, especially about this. I've found that some merchants actually forget to update the datafeed. I had one last month that was coming up on a big holiday for them and they hadn't updated since last summer. I emailed and told them I needed to get the current products and pointed out the last updated date. They wrote back very apologetic and immediately updated the feed.

Sometimes, even though they are merchants, they are really one or two person operations and like all of us get busy with day to day problems. Drop them a line and let them know what you need.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami

Btw, Welcome to ABW
    Thank you. I am not really new, just fond of the search feature. Most of my questions get answered and I have no need to post.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    My only alternative is to decrease profiling in favor of more consistent feeds.. but it's VERY frustrating.
    Exactly. And I tend to prefer the odder merchants products who don't have others doing the tech work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Sometimes, even though they are merchants, they are really one or two person operations and like all of us get busy with day to day problems. Drop them a line and let them know what you need.
    I understand smaller companies not getting to their updates. I honestly am not nearly as demanding as some of the information input I've seen requested by publishers for data feeds, or the frequency. A merchant could only do some of this stuff if they hired a team. I update monthly, but let's face it, this is exclusively what I do. I'm making a % without dealing with payments, customers, stock, nada. It's a cakewalk and I expect to put work into it for the privilege of what merchants offer me.

But I have written to companies. I have written to their consulting/management firms. What exactly are these management firms for, anyway? I honestly don't understand the hierarchy. I received no replies which is plain rude - yet I see them posting like mad here. If they can browse the forums trying to sign up new publishers, they have the time to answer my short email.

All of this is a matter of lessons learned on my part. Qualifying has gotten a lot tighter for me. But on the other hand, perhaps some merchants care and I want them to know that yes, some quieter publishers pay attention and are willing to make it work. That is the intent of my fussing.

I will also say that their are a couple of merchants I haven't written to but will. This is my fault. Due to the fact that I am low maintenance - I build sites, I update, I build more sites -, I think I was thrown by being ignored and am not quite clear on what to expect. I've never really had a need to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Pets Warehouse sends updated data feeds directly not thru the SAS interface.

Therefore, please contact us directly.

Hey, Bob, I just sent you a PM about your datafeed.
    Generate more fake news.

YA YS datafeed update update
    Yesasia and Yesstyle feeds are updated every tuesday. However we had a technical problem uploading the Yesstyle feed in February. This is now fixed so everything is up to date again

thanks
    Stefan

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Greetings!

There are still many merchants who have, what appear to be, outdated datafeeds. So yes, please merchants, update them regularly.

On a side note, is there a way to automatically get notified when a merchant updates their datafeed (through SAS)?

Thanks!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread