A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Question Advertisers appearing out of nowhere?
    This is probably going to sound strange, but I see so far two advertisers that I have not (at least to my fairly decent recollection) signed up for in my list. And it's not just that I don't remember signing up for them - the names don't even mean anything to me. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I losing it?
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

almost like pre-approval . . . they're hoping you'll promote them.

I haven't used LinkShare for years, but I know that occasionally I'll see an unfamiliar company name in my list of ShareASale merchants, and it's always because the merchant changed the display name within the SAS interface.

For example, they might initially have signed up as "XYZ Marketing Concepts LLC" and then decided to change the name shown to "babydiapers.com" or whatever, because that's the business. Or they've acquired a new, better domain for their business (e.g. if the folks who own "best-baby-diapers.com" buy the domain "diapers.com" then I'd expect to see them change).

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    LS is the only network where I've seen this happen: Unknown merchants (not re-named merchants) pop up out of nowhere as "joined" merchant programs.

Over the years, I've seen this a few times with random merchants, who usually end up closing their programs in a relatively short time. One exception is with Jarden programs. Join one, such as I did with Foodsaver, and eventually most, if not all, of their merchant companies will end up in your active merchant list. I found Crock-pot dot com, bionaire dot com and rapidbath dot com in my active merchants this way, having never applied to them.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Interesting. It has never happened to me before. Truthfully, they don't sound like the upstanding sorts I like to do business with. As Seen on TV stuff is not really my thing. Maybe I don't watch enough infomercials to appreciate their merchandise.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

They're sending you invitations.. in CJ it would appear as Pending.. LinkShare allows them to "join" you, I guess... but you still have to accept the terms...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    They're sending you invitations.. in CJ it would appear as Pending.. LinkShare allows them to "join" you, I guess... but you still have to accept the terms...
    I don't think so - those I named are active in my account, as others have been without applying, and having NEVER "accepted" TOS. This is very different from CJ's pending offer system.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

That's what I'm saying.. CJ indicates the merchant is "pending", in the Linkshare interface, the same invite will appear under your account.. as it it were an existing program you have joined.

They are not active until you accept the TOS... my guess is they're just hoping you will accept. If you look under the Program Controls for the merchant, you should see:

Approval Date - N/A

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    They are not active until you accept the TOS... my guess is they're just hoping you will accept. If you look under the Program Controls for the merchant, you should see:

Approval Date - N/A
    OK. For the 3 I named that I never applied to but are all part of Jarden, they are active. But I found a couple more merchants there that I never heard of and never noticed before that do say "Approval Date - N/A".

Thanks for the further enlightenment, teezone.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as I know, LS was allowing these "pre-approvals" to take place until recent months, and that's probably why you have some merchants in your lists that you did not sign up for.

Currently, a merchant can send you an invitation or private offer, but you must accept it in order to be active.

Perhaps the LinkShare Moderator will correct me, but I'm pretty sure that Advertisers that have multiple programs (representing different brands) can add you to their other programs if you've applied and been approved into one. But this is a manual process that I think you need LinkShare's help to do - I don't think the Advertiser can do it on their own.

If you're not already in a program they run, the Advertiser can only invite you to join, as the earlier posters suggested.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread