how did you find your niche market?
    Last December, I signed up for a membership at Internet Marketing Center (Derek) and also bought a copy of keywords tracker. I followed their tutorial to find a niche market, but not that successful in locating a niche.

I am wondering how you guys found your niche market.

ABW Ambassador

Anything related to Rocky Mountain may work for YOU

Adam has a great suggestion. I've also found that regardless of what the experts say the best niches are, the ones that have worked best for me are those that I have a lot of knowledge about or have a personal interest in.

If you have an interest in a particular subject I feel that you are in a better position to achieve expert status and you won't find researching and updating as tedious.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I fell into my niche by having a need to vent and throw my opinion around with something I felt strongly about. It wasn't intended to be an affiliate site but I pounced on the opportunity when I realized I created an audience.

It all goes back to building a site for your visitor. If you have something intelligent, important or interesting to say about something, put it out there and say it. You might just strike a chord with a targeted audience, then monetize your pages (always keeping your visitor in mind and not with ads or hype just to sell something).
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Niches that I have an interest in work best.

So I've never consulted any source except myself.

My niche is a topic I love.. more importantly, it's also the type of product I would LOVE to buy online, if I had tons of money...

Hopefully that passion comes across to my visitors/readers..

Regardless of keyword strategy, if you have a personal interest (or hobby), you will appear knowledgeable, and that will only increase over time. Your readers will pick up that, and begin to trust your judgment/recommendations. Affiliate marketing still is a basic sales concept.. in the real world, if you know about cars, you should do well selling cars. Like cats..? You would probably enjoy running a pet store... sharing advice with other cat-lovers.

Now I may take heat for this (esp from writers of ebooks on keyword strategy!), but I've moved away from keyword analysis. As my site has grown, so have my related keywords.. I pay attention within my niche, sure, but nothing beats targeted organic traffic.

This business is full of keyword strategists & consultants, but at the end of the day, your niche has to be something you enjoy reading/writing about. If not, you'll get frustrated & bored within weeks...

To me, you should look more for solutions to problems and answers to questions, rather than a niche. Those problems and questions will define what your niche is, and providing a solution and answers will provide value. The next time you're frustrated because you can't find a web site that does _______, you've found an opportunity.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

A Niche Can Find You...
    One common thread among the responses to your question is that it can take some time to develop a niche.

I have a niche story to tell. It's not an affiliate niche but it certainly could be. It's more an example of how a niche can find you. A friend of mine worked for me in the IT dept of a national retailer before we were downsized and outsourced back in '96. I went to self employment as a consultant and he went to the IT dept of another large retailer. We kept in touch and he would occasionally give me hardware that was left over after upgrades in their stores. One day I got some computer peripherals from him that after I got around to installing and trying out for myself, found that they were quite a high quality and handy device. So, there they sat. I began selling things on eBay later on and one day that handy device caught my eye. Hmm me says to meself, "I wonder what these sell for on eBay?" So happens that not only do all that are listed on eBay sell, but they sell for a good price ($100 + each), and they’re small and easy to ship. Because this peripheral was no longer being manufactured in it's present incarnation, most were used, some sold untested/as-is and there was an occasional new old stock one. At any one time there may be five to ten eBay listings for this item. I decided to recondition these and sell them with a sixty day guarantee. Long story short; now several years later, I've sold literally thousands of these with many repeat customers and word of mouth sales. I get 50% more per unit due to reconditioning and guaranteeing them. I also do a lucrative business in reconditioning client's units because these are common in insurance and law offices where the word spreads from office to office. As far as I know, no one else in the entire world services these so I sell quite a few internationally also. This is about as nichie as you can get and I bet there are a lot of opportunities of this type if you are willing to do some work and take the time to develop them.

Bottom line is, be aware of what's going on around you with the mindset of a niche marketeer (new word). Hmm, I wonder if this chartreuse gizzygizmo is of interest to anyone? And a niche may find you…

interesting stories!!! thanks, I appreciate it.

A Niche Can Find You... (addendum)
    One thing I might add to the story is that anytime when I want or need a particular item it occurs to me that if I want it, someone else must want it too. This is a great source of niche ideas.

There are too many products to count on both hands that I have sold and am currently selling because of previous personal purchases. As I am now expanding to affiliate income opportunities I'm listing all those products on a parallel site optimized for affiliate income. My biggest problem now is to balance the two sites so they don't conflict but rather enhance income from both.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Bottom line is, be aware of what's going on around you with the mindset of a niche marketeer (new word). Hmm, I wonder if this chartreuse gizzygizmo is of interest to anyone? And a niche may find you…
    This thread gave me an idea for another one, and the url was available.
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

ABW Ambassador
    My most profitable niche - something my ex gf was interested in, which I had/have pretty much 0 interest in except that it makes money.

I get ideas from members of my forum.

Sometimes just digging thru a merchant site.

Sometimes from watching TV, got some great ideas from that.

Sometimes from a merchant's keyword list. A recent one, I just took all of the keywords suggested, made a general landing page, watched which ones were getting traffic. Found one that looked interesting, had never heard of before and apparently from the lack of competition on that word, doesn't like many other people have either.

Ebay.

So lots of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kruger
    This thread gave me an idea for another one, and the url was available.
    Man! I sure missed that opportunity! Don't I at least get a finders fee? Good luck John...

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I would suggest that you choose a niche that you are passionate about. It will be easier to create the content for it. What are your hobbies, favorite sports team, etc.? Create a site on one of those topics.

great advice here. If your topic isnt something you truly have in interest in, then chances are you wont be able to create a quality site that people will want to visit.
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]www.morevisibility.com[/URL]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Never found it and stopped looking.

I found mine by looking through the newest programs at ShareASale. I seen a program that looked interesting, seen that I could relate with the products they sell, and started that way.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Like parts of what Coley and Trust said, I look for niches based on several factors and not so much passion about a subject. I'm a lifelong learner with high curiousity and many niches I enter and make money in, become things I grow an interest in. Passion for the subject is good, it does help keep you going, but look for ways to actually help people, solve a problem, fulfill a need and you'll make plenty and people will write you and say thanks and you'll have that passion in your wallet and in your heart and mind.

As I've grown in this business, I've developed several factors for grading niches - people who know me have heard me rattle on (with immense passion) for hours about good site ideas and how I look at these facets that all pretty much lean towards helping people buy stuff better, smarter, faster, more efficeintly, with greater ease or through better knowledge or through tools and on and on. This very discussion came up last week at a small lunch we had in Orlando, and I was loving talking about it.

If you see me in Boston and want to have a fun chat, bring up site ideas and concepts and ask me to brainstorm with you privately about them... finding good, fun, productive ways to market and sell is a passion unto itself. In my mentoring work, this step has been the key to success.

Yes, passion helps, cuz you start off hot and usually knowing quite a bit, but some of my best niches now, are things I noticed angles or weaknesses in, so I moved then to find ways to exploit those opportunities.

It's fun to share thoughts on finding good niches, but it's not something easily diagrammed or charted or codified, it's a sensual science... you gotta feel it... you won't learn it in a book... and it does improve considerably with experience. And there's plenty of personal preference in it, waiting to be exercised.

I try to focus a lot of my energy here, problem is, I'm freaking backlogged with ideas and won't ever get to them all, they now come in faster than I can possibly hope to put them to work.

Side note, sometimes trying to turn your passion into your vocation kills your lust for something you love... if you smell that happening to you, you'll know it. Do focus on the things that people who are shopping need... and when you find success after success, you'll see your passion is more vast than you ever thought possible... I've always deeply yearned to be free to make my own decisions and mistakes and cut my own path... my passion for it is a white hot blow torch and it's now been burning with an unbridled fury for many years now. Passion isn't always a subject or a product, sometimes it's a method, or an outcome, or velocity within something that's also moving (not just adrift), or the means to an end or the journey down the road less traveled.

Widen your search for your passion, it's hiding everywhere, in plain site.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread