Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Are "Info" domain names any good?
    I found a really good domain name, if I am will to use "info" in place of "com". The name would look like "domain-name.info." However, domain-name-online.com is also available.

Which would you consider better for natural search results and is there any reason an affiliate should not use an info name to sell stuff?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    I found a really good domain name, if I am will to use "info" in place of "com". The name would look like "domain-name.info." However, domain-name-online.com is also available.

Which would you consider better for natural search results and is there any reason an affiliate should not use an info name to sell stuff?
    I don't think there is anything wrong with dot-info. If the name is not a real type-in domain, the extension has little else to do with it as far as SEO goes. Out of my two top producing sites, one is a dot com and one is a dot to (Tonga). I have had it for over five years and it does very well in the SERPs for some very competitive travel terms.

I also just paid a small bundle (low 4 figures) for a single word product name (popular product) in dot info. I'm putting the site together this week and believe it will become a nice productive niche site. The dot-com would make a great type-in domain, but I couldn't afford it if it were for sale. And, if it was available it would likely be in the 6-figure range.

So, to venture an answer...I would personally prefer the shorter, more direct domain, without hyphen if possible. The "online" is superfluous. Keep in mind, please, that I am not an expert.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

the dot info will not affect the rankings. But I have a tendency to view links with hyphens as not a "true" source, now I say this and a few sites I adore have the hyphens. As long as you build good content, offer relevant products, and build your linking structure, you should be just fine.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Thanks for the great (and fast) replies.

Yes, the "domain-name" I am looking at gets 64,000 searches per month as "domain name" according to KeyWordDiscovery. Plus the two words get only 1.2 million results in Google. So it should be real easy to get to the top, or at least on the first page. The "DomainName" (singleword) versions are all taken.

I already have a "domain-name.net" site that only gets 1/3rd as many searches per month according to KeyWordDiscovery, has twice the search results in Google, yet it already averages 250 hits per day and is only 4 months old.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

you get what you pay for.......owning a dot info name is RISKY in my opinion....like sub prime realestate

I would never use a .info if the same .com is available.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Get both the domain-name.info and the domain-name-online.com
    What's another $10 per year.

Search engines don't penalize you for using the .info. I have numerous keyword.infos that rank very well and they are simply parked pages.

Not a fan of the hyphen but if you plan to count on search engines for the bulk of your traffic and the non-hyphenated version is taken then why not. The more hyphens the uglier the domain and the "online" isn't going to help unless it is often included in searches for your keyword phrase.

As far as using a .info for a sales site - include info about your products and/or the use of them so those seeking information are satisfied. Nothing wrong with that. Adds content that the search engines like and info seeker might just be back to buy.

dot info names
    Never heard of a dot info boom (or crash). Thus said, dot info's are so cheap, I couldn't resist. And, surprisingly, they're getting some hits on parking and even brings in a bit of traffic using them on 301.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread