I'm not positive but I believe someone is bidding on my domain name in their adwords campaign. Is this something I have to accept?

ABW Ambassador
    What do you mean someone is bidding on your domain name? Are they using your domain name in their keywords?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Are they using your domain name in their keywords? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is what's going on. Actually not the full domainname.com but domainname.

[This message was edited by Heyder on July 08, 2003 at 10:34 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    You can include any keywords you want in your AdWords ads. After all, affiliates include merchants names all the time. That's a domain name as well. It's just called competitive advertising.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's a domain name as well. It's just called competitive advertising. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No it's called theft!

I don't know if they bid on my domain or if adwords is seperating out words from the domain. If it's the latter I have to think adwords quality isn't all that good.

ABW Ambassador
    Get all your family and friends to click on the link a few thousand times - that should get them to remove it

Affiliate Manager
    Heyder- If your domain has a common word in it- they may be bidding on that word and showing up for your name on accident- If you don't have a good keyword hidden in your domain- they may be biding on your domain

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can include any keywords you want in your AdWords ads.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That statement's a little misleading.

In their editorial guidelines they state that ads won't be accepted for irrelevant keywords, for example.

Heyder, you'd probably need to establish trademark or copyright infringement, and only then they'll kill the ads...

From Google's AdWords FAQ:

"When we receive a complaint from a trademark owner, our review is limited to ensuring that the advertisements at issue are not using the trademarked term as a keyword trigger. If they are, we disable those keywords from the ad campaign."

The thing is I can/'t tell if they are using my domain name or just the keyword in it. It's not a hyphenated dn but does contain the keyword mall. If you type in xxxmall they won't come up in the ads but if you type in my domain name avemall they do come up.

In all honesty I don't think they are bidding on "avemall" and I'm not really concerned about that so much anymore but I have to wonder about the value of adwords if they are selling off my domain name avemall as the keyword mall. Also google is wrongfully profiting from my domain name.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJCB:From Google's AdWords FAQ:

"When we receive a complaint from a trademark owner, our review is limited to ensuring that the advertisements at issue are not using the trademarked term as a keyword trigger. If they are, we disable those keywords from the ad campaign."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Either they don't receive many complaints or they are not enforcing this policy (I suspect the latter) because this is common practice in keyword bidding.

If you think Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Orbitz (very prominent AdWords advertisers) aren't including Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, etc. in their keywords, you're a bit naive!

Type in Marriott at Google and the sponsored links right at the top of your screen are from Expedia and Orbitz!

And Jessica, typing in Wyndham brings up Hotels.com on the righthand side of the screen. That's your company!

Bzzzz...wrong again.

Those people sell on behalf of those companies. An airline is unlikely to sue travel agents for using their name in advertising, for example, are they? (Although actually, some do)

The kind of trademark infringement most companies worry about would be where, for example, you enter the word "Marriot" and the sponsored ad is for the homepage of Hilton Hotels.

Whether or not people choose to complain still doesn't alter the fact that you can, and Google - in contrast to your previous claim - does *not* allow you to use any keyword in your AdWords.

Affiliate Manager
    Snowman- yes, hotels.com purchases a number of adwords- so do a number of affiliates- many of whom use a hotels.com look and feel landing page.

MJCB- Merchnats, as you may guess, run the gamut- some love others advertising for them- others would prefer they be the only result when you search their name and have many lawyers devoted to making that happen.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread