View Poll Results: What to look for?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Commission Rate and Payment Terms

3 9.09%
  • Conversion Rate and Effective CPC

3 9.09%
  • Landing Pages with NO: Diversionary Links, Pop-Ups, 800 Numbers, Unneeded Qualifiers, Etc.

4 12.12%
  • Program Support, Creative Options, Accurate Performance Data, Reversal Rate Data

1 3.03%
  • All of the Above

22 66.67%
    "Man, what am I looking for again?!!"

Hey everyone! I'm putting together some information regarding our affiliate programs based on the most important things that affiliates look for when selecting a promotion. We spend a lot of time optimizing our promotions and feel it is important to provide you guys with the best information possible so that you can identify why our programs might perform better than other, similar offers. That said...

When picking new affiliate promotions to market, what do you look for?

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

While all of the above things are very important one thing is missing from your list.

When I join an affiliate program it's because they have a product or group of products that I feel I can sell. I need to believe that I can beat out the competition in the search engines and get people to buy this product. If I think there are too many competitors I won't bother waisting my time. Also, If I feel there isn't enough interest (wordtracker helps) I won't bother.

ABW Ambassador
    Money. I look for conversion/epc, the fact there may be a market for the product, or service. Is there a demand, and is already being over supplied by other publishers/merchants. I also look for the no-brainers; shit that would sell regardless. I do have some advertisers I promote, whose commission payout is less than desirable, but the good conversions sort of make up for it.

When I find a service, or product that converts well, plus the pay out is good, I promote it, and promote it, and promote it!

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Famous Last Words
    "Hold my beer, and watch this"
    "What does this do?"
    "You're married?!"
    "I think I made a wrong turn"
    "Something doesn't taste right"

Certainly, we would all first look for offers that are targeted toward our audiences. What we are trying to determine is, in situations where several versions of a program are available, or several advertisers with similar services are available(assuming it's a product or service you would market), what are the other important aspects in choosing which to promote?

If anyone has something to add feel free. The poll only allowed me to choose 5 items, which is why the options are somewhat limited and grouped together. Thanks, all!

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

This forum is meant to improve affiliate marketing and make for better communication between partners. How will we improve if less than 10% of the people that have read this thread couldn't take a second to vote? It would seem that, after all the posts requesting better service, more communication and support, the companies that have a vested interest in providing these things can't ask for as much feedback as Chet can expect about purchasing a camcorder!

If improving affiliate marketing is something you are interested in, please take a moment to indicate which aspects of an affiliate promotion are most important to you. Otherwise, the poor service we all hope to avoid, is our own fault.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

I agree with that and will add that we here represent a very small percentage of all affiliates. This means that our input can and does affect a whole industry in fact the entire internet.

Most definitely! And, when a partner is striving to find out what affiliates want and need with the intention of designing their promotions accordingly, that, if any, is the best time for us to speak up!

Tell us what you want!!!

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The only real valuable factor that effects whether a merchant program will grow and make money for all types of affiliates is the AM in charge of it. Hasn't everyone learned that valuable lesson by now? I put TD into ABW with the lamest network behind them, a dwindling angry group of affiliates, and look at the results Andy has achieved. Regardless of the network of even if they are an indy the AM will succeed if they are sales oriented. Screw the advertisers and desperate for traffic who's sites couldn't sell with or without affiliate targeting.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well, we certainly think that a good AM makes or breaks a program's success too! I guess that would fall under support and, as far as the advertiser is concerned, probably recruitment.

Good to know!

Thanks Mike!

Thanks Charlie!

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

Well, I can't help but be disappointed in the number of votes our poll received out of over 200 views.

Thanks to those of you that took the time to help us improve our service.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

Hi Profitman,

We just join your program.(Poon did)

Is it possible to have a banner size 120x240 or
    240x240 or something similar that you can showcase items that you have a promotion that updates automatically?

So consumer will keep coming back and checking what kind of promotion you'll have?

Can't think of anything else right now

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? <b>Crooks Overwriting Commissions.</b>
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Do you mean that you would like an ad that rotates the latest network offers from various advertisers?

Or, do you mean that you would like an ad for one sponsor that changes regularly to display the latest promotion for that particular advertiser?

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you mean that you would like an ad that rotates the latest network offers from various advertisers?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one.

if it's possible.

thanks for your response.

What does the COC stand for? &lt;b&gt;Crooks Overwriting Commissions.&lt;/b&gt;
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

The best way to do this would be to setup several offers in your banner rotator code, available in the Fill Up section. You can setup a different pool of ads for each creative size and, depending on how much traffic is being generated, it can be optimized as often as need be to ensure that the best or newest programs are being run.

I'd be happy to walk you through setting this up and then, if you think it's okay, we can make it a point to update it every Monday, in light of the new offers that have been announced in the Affiliate Fueler.

Email me with a number and good time to reach you and we can walk through this.
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com

Thanks!

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

Joey:
    In my limited experience, there are a combination of factors that come into play. I think Heyder touched on a few. In our situation, we have a dedicated regional audience, so we can probably squeeze a few nickels out of a crowded field because we're attracting a certain mass of audience. So other factors like conversion probability (i.e. clean landing pages, no 800 numbers) are big, as are the payouts.
    P.S. I've always appreciated the excellent communication with you and your team. When considering new links, I go to Affiliate Fuel first [end unpaid plug].

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One thing that's not on the list is PAYMENT HISTORY. A merchant with no complaints of nonpayment (and no complaints of payment so slow the people are ready to call the collectors) gets a big leg up in my book. Also being at CJ is a big plus due to the consolidated checks. SaS is another one that gets a "consolidated check" bonus. The escrow account requirement at SaS is another plus.

Also what Heyder and BigChuck said, for the most part. The exception is the "make it up in volume" part of BigChuck's post (referring to commission amounts). In general, haven't found that to be worthwhile. If a place doesn't pay a decent commission (I aim for at least 10%), they won't get on my sites except in the rarest of circumstances.

~Revenue is King

Totally, this is all good feedback.

The point of this survey was to determine where affiliates' priorities exist. It seems that affiliates often feel that a program's payout has the biggest impact on its success. Meanwhile, we all know that there are tons of other factors.

I posted a thread earlier this month regarding some of the many program specifics that set our offers apart from other, similar programs and received little relevant feedback. This is a link to that thread.

Considering the feedback we received from this survey, it's safe to assume that every affiliate has a reasonable interest in comparing these program specifics. To those who said that there is more to program success than just payout, please check out the above mentioned thread and let us know your thoughts on these offers. For as much as I receive Gevalia and GoToMyPC ads in my email everyday, not nearly enough of them are being promoted through Affiliate Fuel. My hope is to make marketers aware of the improvements our efforts make on the back end success of these programs.

Thanks, all!

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread