CPC is their a difference between negative keywords and just not bidding ?
    Hi all,

I have been feverishly working on a coupon code site and set up a small CPC campaign to get a feel for paid search.

I came up with a list of around 100 exact match keywords

one of them is "coupon codes"

Now I get my first paid clicks and study them, I notice that about 50% of them are my keywords such as "coupon codes" but with an added word usually a merchants name so for example

walmart coupon codes

Now I do not market for Walmart and like I said its an example, that said...

when I read the keyword links for the advertisers on CJ some of them say

do not bid on 'keywords'

and some say

make this 'keyword' a negative keyword

So my question is if walmart is one of the do not bid on keywords and in my above example i bid on "coupon codes" and someone searches "walmart coupon codes" and my add comes up am i within the rules since I never actually bid on the word Walmart ?

TIA

depends on your match type, if you are on broad search, you NEED to make sure you have a list of negative keyterms.

I am useing exact match like i said

I am assuming that since I am exact matching "coupon codes" then this doesn't mean I get only "coupon codes" but any and all terms that have "coupon codes" in them for example

walmart coupon codes

coupon codes and promotions

coupon codes for xyz

art coupon codes

is this correct ?

If not I have no idea what I am doing wrong ?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    sounds like you're phrase matching (though I hear you saying you're exact matching)...

in adwords, "coupon codes" is phrase match.
    while [coupon codes] is exact match.

if you do use exact match only, you don't need to use any negative keywords.

Okay I swear when I signed up that I selected exact match.

I rechecked and noticed it was broad match.

I took my entire list and made them all exact match.

Before I changed it I was paying .04 for 80% of keywords and .05 for 19% and 1 keyword was .10 and rated OK.

Now after changing to exact match i have 2 that are .04 and 65% are .05 and 34% are .10 and rated OK.

Why is this ?

If 'discount coupons' is related to my site, how is it that as a broad match its .04 and great and exact match its .10 and OK.

Please advise

PS is it better to go back t broad and just load up negative keyword and pay .04 then to have exact match and have to pay 5 times as much for the same position ? Can I just make 99% of the english language a negitive keyword.

Confused

Broad is less focused, I wouldn't recommend going back to broad ever, especially given your level of experience and understanding here. If you're having problems determining what match type is set, I've got one word of caution for you - make sure you have your daily spend limit set very low, because mistakes like these can make you burn through a bunch of money quickly.

What you pay is also nearly irrelevant, it's what you make - if you do pay more, but the traffic is highly focused, you can't assume higher priced traffic isn't any good - you have to measure your ROI. Do that for yourself and see what works best for you.

"If 'discount coupons' is related to my site, how is it that as a broad match its .04 and great and exact match its .10 and OK."
    I assume you are referring to the minimum bid here, is that right? In any case, as you've already learned, match type determines what searches will / can trigger your keyword - and the exact and broad matches of the same word are therefore different. In fact, they are vastly different. In that difference lies your answer as to why the min bids are different. We could talk about permutations and matching probabilities for hours, but you need to work on simpler stuff right now, like learning the basic controls for match type. Go study the tutorials and take the quizzes, several times.

Good luck.

Donuts,

You are right I have much to learn.

My campaign is set to 25.00 a day.

I swear I selected exact match.

Yes I was talking minimums.

That said It seems odd to me that my minimum bid and quality scores for my terms are lower with exact match.

take the term...

"coupon codes"

If someone was looking for the term exactly "coupon codes" then it should be one price for all match types or if anything lower for the more restricted match types.

Consequently, If someone has "coupon codes" as a broad match and a searcher googles "xyz company coupon codes" and your landing page nor your ad has nothing to do with xyz company how in the heck is google going to reward that advertiser with a lower CPC ? How is this high quality ?

This in my mind is encouraging broad match even when it is less relevent.

Am I missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous
    This in my mind is encouraging broad match even when it is less relevent.

Am I missing something ?
    Yes. Remember high click through rate is secondary. What you are really looking for is the highest conversion rate. While "xyz company coupon codes" may get you more click throughs, will it get you more conversions? Google is in fact penalizing these bidders by showing their ads when there is less of a chance of a user match and thus a conversion.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread