I was looking for domain names and found one I liked but the results show the .com is taken. When I do a Who Is search it shows the person who owns it but it also shows it expired May 6th 2003. How come it's not showing up as available? Any thoughts or idea as to how to get the name????

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There's a "grace period" on expired domains. 45 days or so before it becomes available for buying...

~Revenue is King

Godaddy offer a 'camp' service where you can monitor a domain until it becomes available if this is a route you want to go

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I am in a similar situation with an expired domain, and I asked a friend about it (who works at a big domain registry) - here's what she said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Generally, the domain is put on hold by the registry for 40 days - during which time the owner can still renew their domain.

After 40 days the domain goes into what is called a "redemption" period. Again, during this time, the previous owner still has the ability to renew their domain (at a heftier price).

It's not until the redemption period ends that the domain is released back into the general pool of available domain names.

Also note that the number of days varies from Registry to service provider... so it could be more/less.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

Affiliate managers - get the AffStat 2003 Report at http://www.affstat.com/ for affiliate marketing benchmarks, resources, and best practices.

Hmmm, Interesting. Jeeesh, I own a ton of domain names and never knew about the grace period or holding period. Thanks Leader and Shawn for the info.

TJ, thanks. I'll check it out.

Coincidence Me baby!

Here is the life cycle of a domain.

http://www.snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html

Thanks AVP for the chart. Explains it all! It kind of sucks when your waiting for a domain name, but then again, if anyones like me and procrastinates, it might be a good thing.

Well I ended up getting the .info version of the name. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be able to grab the .com version Not like I need anymore Domain Names. Danm addiction I have

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    I know of names expired 2 years still in limbo... :|

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

I have a similar story that ended very happily today.

I found a domain on hold in September last year. I waited and waited and it never became available. In January, I called the registrar, InterNIC, and was told that it could not yet be released. I have checked it's status every day for nearly 7 months and finally today it became available. I have no idea why it took so long, but it apprears some domains can be put on hold for an much longer period of time than we thought.

Hang in there. Check every day and just maybe you will get lucky like me.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

If the domain is one that other people will be interested in then it will be taken within a couple of seconds of becoming available again.

There are a number of services that watch for availability for you and try to grab the name (there are also individuals such a "buydomains" and "Yun Ye" who have tame registrars that do the same for them).

The two most successful services for grabbing expired domains are namewinner.com and snapnames.com:

Snapnames.com: Pay $69 for a "snap", there can only be one snap on a name (first come first served), if they fail to grab the domain for you you can transfer the snap to another name but it expires after a total of 1 year.

Namewinner.com: Auction model, minimum bid is $8.75, bids on good names (3 letter .com, product word .com) can go into the thousands, you only pay if they successfully grab the domain.

Another similar service is dropwizard.com.

Don't know much about GoDaddy's service, they just started it so I doubt they are good at grabbing names yet (it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to deternine patterns in which registrars delete at which times etc)

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

stay away from expired domains if you want to get ranked in Google. They will penalize your site. If you do not care about the site's rankings in Google, then I recommend snapnames to get the domain.

I have heard of this Google ranking issue before. What is the logic behind the negativity toward expired domains?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;If the domain is one that other people will be
    &gt;interested in then it will be taken within a couple
    &gt;of seconds of becoming available again.

If it lasts a couple of seconds, it wasn't much of a name. The good ones last milliseconds.

And Godaddy's service SUCKS BIG TIME. So far, anyway.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

The theory is that any links that existed before the site expired aren't counted when it's renewed. It's to stop you buying an expired domain with high PageRank - basically you have to start from scratch.

Well, that's the theory. In practice, Google isn't very accurate about this and as a result all the domains I've bought in the past 12 months of so are at PR0 even though they've had new links added to them. There have only been two Google updates since this policy came in, so it's difficult to do a more comprehensive analysis.

I'd suggest waiting at least one whole Google cycle before redeveloping the domain, maybe two.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I used SnapNames recently for an expired domain, and they informed me on July 6 that the domain had been registered by somebody else on July 4.

So I don't get the domain, and SnapNames takes me for $69. That stinks.

I see that the domain is now pointing to a junk portal that's a subdomain of domainsponsor.com

Anybody familar with domainsponsor.com? Are they a domain squatter?

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.

http://www.affiliatemanager.net - tools and resources for affiliate managers

the .org of my main url has been owned but not developed for 5 years. Finally, in April, the owner did not renew it.

It was just last week that it finally went on the market and I grabbed it. Now I own all three of the top level domains though the .com is really the only one I use.

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

Snapnames sucks now, it just doesn't win a darned thing.

There was a domain I REALLY wanted, so I had a reservation on Snapnames for it, one at ExpireFish and one at Namewinner. Well, let's say the Namewinner bidding got too rich for me at $900 so I pulled out. Who got it out of those three? Well, none of them. Ended up with buydomains.com.

Another recent one was a runoff between Snapnames and Namewinner, both my bids. Namewinner got it and it took Snapnames two days to notice!

________

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>stay away from expired domains if you want to get ranked in Google. They will penalize your site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure? The story I heard was that you wouldn't get penalized, but that you also wouldn't be credited for any existing links. In other words, you'd be starting from scratch with the name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Are you sure? The story I heard was that you wouldn't get penalized, but that you also wouldn't be credited for any existing links. In other words, you'd be starting from scratch with the name.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, but back in May when Witness posted that, the Google algo was not properly sorted. It looks better now, but I'd still advise leaving the domain for a complete update cycle before adding new linksl, because I'm not at all convinced by Google's ability to differentiate "old" and "new" links.

________

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread