Need help interpreting results!!
    I think I understand what happened here, but would love to get feedback/confirmation from some of the more experienced PPC'ers

Regarding a particular PPC campaign in Adwords:

In Jan I got 2,890,300 impressions with a 1.02 CTR.
    In Feb I got 1,832,639 impressions with a .98 CTR.

Aside from very, very, very small, insignificant changes in the keywords, ads and landing pages (got the point? :-) ), the only other change was that I did increase my bids a good bit. I went from showing up on pages 4, 5 and 6 of results to pages 1,2 and 3. Also, the majority of my keywords are ranked either 'good' or 'great'.

My interpretation is that my ads just aren't performing as well against the page 1,2 and 3 ads and that I should drop my bids back, effectively moving my ads further back in search results. Is the answer that simple, or is there something else I'm not considering?

Thanks for any insight, experience, or suggestions!!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Is this data from search/search network only, not content network?

I use very small bids for Content just to get the occassional clickthrough. My primary focus is on Search and I didn't adjust the content bids for Feb, just the Search bids

Right, but is the search and content data mixed together? If so, I can't look at summary data that inlcudes both and draw any conclusions about what's happening on just the search side - because the sheer numbers on the content side mask the smaller (but more important) changes that happened on the search side.

Split out your content and run it separately from now on.

Go back and back out the content network numbers for the data you have, the search and content is broken out at the bottom of the report / page within Adwords.

So step 1.... make sure you're looking at the right data.

Step 2, make sure the sample size is meaningful.
    Step 3, make sure observed differences are statistically significant.
    and so on...

Skipping the "right data" question, I'd caution you that .98 vs 1.02 CTR is no real difference. There is enough data here for a statistics major to declare this difference significant, however, they'd be leaving off the dynamic nature of the adwords auction place... one competitor bumps his bids a few pennies and this statistically significant dataset could be shown to have not changed internally, but externally, nullifying the ability to determine cause and effect. CTR is displayed with too great a precision, it suckers folks into "seeing" differences like these.

What I see is a low CTR during both periods - that's what you need to work on.

I gotta run. Many others here can help, I hope you can post more data and get more input here today as well. Good luck!

I will back out the content results and re-examine and repost the results.

How do I "split out my content"? You talking about creating 2 seperate campaigns with the same keywords and ads, one of which does search, and the other does content?

I'm concerned about the CTR, but my main focus is the drop in impressions, which I'm thinking is the main cause of the fact that I generated 4997 leads in Jan, but only 3399 in Feb, and according to the affiliate company these pages focus on, their business went UP in Feb. Of course, that last part is the root cause for this firedrill.

Thanks for the quick responses Donuts!!

Donuts,

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious!

So step 1.... make sure you're looking at the right data.

After drilling down into the data like I should have done first, I found that almost 1/2 of the drop in impressions was because I had minimized my bid for content network on one particular ad group. Big surprise I know, that ad group causes a large majority of my leads. Most of where I assumed the impressions had changed were still basically the same. After making a couple other slight adjustments to some search bids where I did notice problems, I think I can get back on track.

Thanks again!!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread