What are my coding options?
    I've been working with PopShops for over a year now and am currently using the Javascript code but I know that it is not SEO friendly. I am not able to use PHP as my server is not PHP enabled. Is there any other coding option I can try that will be SEO friendly?

My website is www.wrappers.ca if anyone wants to take a look and see what coding would work best. This is a very old site (it's my old site) that still draws a fair amount of traffic so I don't really want to move it to a different host (although this host is so restrictive in what I can do). I'm NOT a techy kind of person so I need something fairly simple.

Any ideas?
    Beth

You could use the html code, but if you move away from javascript or php you lose the dynamic aspects of popshops.

Maybe you could try a hybrid? Put an extra html code store in the same niche just below your javascript. Then you may get some seo out of it and still have search, etc.

Personally I'd change servers, though and go to php. If you lean on your forum friends I'm sure they could talk you through it.

I think I'm going to go the html route for now and see how it goes. The products I affiliate don't change too often so HOPEFULLY it won't be too much extra work I'm assuming the html code is more SEO friendly?? Will I still see if a product becomes inactive? Will this mean if I add or delete a product I will have to copy the new html code over to my site?

About a year ago I switched my main business to a new host and took on a new domain name as well so I'm still recovering in the search engines from that move...I REALLY don't want to have to do that again any time soon. This site is essentially just a funnel over to my new site...and I've added the Popshops categories as a little extra income. My "new" website is using PHP and I'm finding that I love it...it's so much more versatile Too bad I didn't know the difference in hosting/servers back 5 years ago when I was just starting

Beth

It does not matter where you are hosted if you are getting traffic, it goes to your site, not your host. Find a better host you will be happier and more successful without host problems.
    I see I posted when you added more info. The domain is what gets the traffic, keep the same domain name and transfer it to a better host. If you change domain names then yes, you will lose all traffic unless you are able to park and redirect from the old domain name.

If you find a good host that will talk you through the move, it will be invisible. You just need to point the DNS to the new host and, like magic, it works. Your old host can still act as the registrar even and point to your new server.

Now transferring all those files and the rest of that process is the pain in the...

Jessie

But the problem is this is not a "usual host"...this is a host/estore combination and all the files names are created dynamically (I think that's what it's called??) when I add a product. These are not page names that I can name on my own so there is no way to transfer anything over to a new host as all the file names (except the home page) would be different. And I just can't afford to lose all my search engine rankings for this site too. That's why when I decided to move my main website over to a new host I left this one running and then added links to direct customers over to my new site. I hope I've explained this correctly LOL!

When you don't know how to build a website you take the easiest route to get one going...even though it can come back to bite you in the behind years later LOL!!

Beth

Ah, got it.
    Yes, that's a pickle.

Jessie

Yup, it's a pickle alright, now I'm just trying to take the lemons I have and make SEO friendly lemonade LOL! So I think I'll change all my coding to html and see if that improves my seo. Bit of a pain but what can you do

Thanks everyone!
    Beth

Will I still see if a product becomes inactive? Will this mean if I add or delete a product I will have to copy the new html code over to my site?
    It looks like you are stuck where you are then so HTML would be the most SEO friendly option. In your dashboard at PopShops you can keep track of any "not available" items and then replace them in the interface. With HTML not being dynamic you will have to copy the generated code into your pages again. The suggestion above from Jazzylee77 sounds like the best way to have the best of both options.
    Last edited by 2busy; March 6th, 2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: T not Y!

Thanks 2Busy...I'll see how it goes It's a little extra work not having the dynamic code but it doesn't take long to copy the code over (as long as I don't get a schwack of inactives LOL).

Beth

Just an update...it seems I'm starting to get ranked for specific products instead of just categories so I THINK switching from the javascript to the html seems to be working in terms of search engines. I'm getting hits on keywords I've never been ranked for before

Beth

No Longer Banned!
    Sites owned by your host ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by b1791
    Just an update...it seems I'm starting to get ranked for specific products instead of just categories so I THINK switching from the javascript to the html seems to be working in terms of search engines. I'm getting hits on keywords I've never been ranked for before

Beth
    Beth

Though I am the least qualified in this area, It kinda seem that Joomla might be worth looking in to since it is fully customisable and includes a great shopping cart too. ~ You are not required to use it though.

If the host owns your sites shell, you may wanna contact alexbet.com and ask him to build you a new one too. People say Alex is the best. He designed the ABW site and CMC sites too.

Hope this helps !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread