Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Solutions; A Corner On Domain Names?
    I attempted to register a domain name on my regular service today. The name was available according to a Network Solutions search so I thought I was in the money. When I requested registration, my service informed me that the .com version of the name was not available?!? WHAT? Went back to NS, re-ran the search... "available for registration". Went back to my service... "not available"! So, I was forced to pay 5X the amount to register the name on NS. I proceeded to register the .net version on my regular service.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't know if it was here or somewhere else but it has been discussed not to check names on Network Solutions because they register them after you check them "as a service to you."

Edit:/ here it is http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=99731

Well, isn't that nice of them to be so considerate. I'll have to send them a thank you letter.

I'm just realizing that I'm quite cynical and sarcastic this morning and better keep further comments to myself.

I moved my final domain from NS this week, nuff said.
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Thanks for your response and the link PWA. Through that link I found the following response from Jonathon Nevett, Vice President of Policy at Network Solutions.

Summary; to protect from domain name front runners, NS reserves a searched domain name for four days. During that time you may purchase from them. The name is released back to the public after four days. You can then register it with the registrar of your choice if no one else has taken it.

Full article; Network Solutions Response

That sounds reasonable to me. Problem is there was no visible disclosure on the NS search page...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kruger
    I moved my final domain from NS this week, nuff said.
    This will be a new project for me over the next year too.

As others suggest, experienced folks don't use Network Solutions tools to check for domain availability, as there is a long history of them "grabbing" the domains that you search, so that you must register it through them or wait a while for the domain to be released (risking that someone else will register it through NS). This is not unique to Network Solutions, and some other folks have been accused of actually "poaching" domains when they are searched, and then offering the domains for resale on secondary markets at a premium.

I use domaintools.com to do my domain searching; they have a nice "bulk check" feature so I can enter a couple dozen keywords and see which of them are registered under six different suffixes.

Last edited by markwelch; March 8th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    As others suggest, experienced folks don't use Network Solutions
    There's no shortage of experience here. Unfortunately, experience is no cure for occasional ignorance. In fact, years ago we were affiliates of Network Solutions before I even new what the significance of being an affiliate was. I had a NS banner with a search field for 'finding your domain name' on one of our hosting service pages. We received an occasional check from NS for our efforts. Remember when they charged $70 a year for domain names? For that matter, remember when domain names were FREE? It was radical when NS cut their fee in half. I think they've outlived their usefulness. Shopping at NS is like shopping at Nordstrom. From a distance their clothes look the same as Wallmart's but there's no prestige in shopping at NS.

Think I'll be sure to shop at WallmartDomains.com from now on.

**Off Topic**
    Mark, I see you are in Hayward. I used to work for Mervyn's in IT before we were downsized and outsourced in '96. I used to fly down there every couple months. Is headquarters still on Foothill Blvd?

I wrote that "experienced folks don't use Network Solutions" and Boomers replied:

> "There's no shortage of experience here. Unfortunately, experience is no cure for occasional ignorance." <

Of course you're right -- I didn't mean to imply that people who didn't know this aren't experienced. (And I don't feel comfortable to referring to those who "don't yet have the knowledge" as "ignorant" because that word has such a negative connotation.)

My intent was to convey that "those of us who have experienced this trickery first-hand" now know better than to use Network Solutions' (or many other registrars') tools to search for domain availability.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I just love these threads about Network Solutions, makes my job as the OPM for Register.com easier. As we try to add more value to the program NS adds less. (sorry for the promotional plug but there is an alternative).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I just love these threads about Network Solutions, makes my job as the OPM for Register.com easier. As we try to add more value to the program NS adds less. (sorry for the promotional plug but there is an alternative).
    There are lots of alternatives. Many offer better service and better support than Network Solutions and pricing between $6.95 - $7.95 rather than $35.00

There are plenty of free downloadable domain search tools and even more online tools like at FreeWho that don't "hold" the name for you.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    isn't register.com one of those evil registrars that keeps domain names for themselves rather than deleting them when they expire?

I have asked Register to answer this directly but they have given me authorization to respond on the forums.

They offer $9.99 domain and 100MB email account which is a $50 retail value.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 19th, 2008 at 01:15 AM.

I like traffic lights
    Any update?

From what I can gather all the good domains that expire at register.com get shifted sideways into a company called "domain discrete" and parked.

One would probably be right in thinking that register.com probably makes more money off parking those "pilfered" domains than it does off registrations?

ICANN has let the registration system go to the dogs, literally.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just use Dotster.com as they never fail to credit affiliate sales and pricing is reasonable for hosting and domain names.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The answer is that NO Register.com is not an evil registrars that keeps domain names for themselves!

I like traffic lights
    So "Domain Discrete" is just a figment of my imagination?

Should I start posting evidence of names spirited away from register.com after expiry and now on parking pages there?

All registrars can choose to retain domains after they expire and some choose to park those pages. I have also spoken to domainers who have 10k or more domains then park them or run AdSense templates. There is a third party that split the arbitrage with the domainer and Google (the name escapes me).

Go ahead so I can see what you are talking about. Register has a premium domain auction system just like any other registrar and to my knowledge that is allowed by ICANN.

If you are trying to purchase a specific domain but want it at the lowest cost you will have to go through the auction process.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 20th, 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Personally I really don't see a problem with the registrar taking control of a domain name when I discard it. When I'm done with it I don't care what happens to it. In fact, I think I like it better that the name ends up parked rather than being put into service by someone else. That pretty much nullifies any connection of the name as a website or email address to me. Sure, the registrar takes advantage of their established connection with the name, but that's business. If a desirable domain name is allowed to expire it's going to be quickly snatched up anyway, whether it's the registrar or otherwise. If the original owner doesn't maintain ownership, he loses control either way. It's like taking a load of stuff to the dump and worrying about who's going to dig through it and take something. No use in getting bummed about who gets it...

X

I like traffic lights
    Ah so you'd rather see the domain tied up for eternity by a corporation that has a competitive advantage (they were the registrar of the domain) rather than forcing it back into the available domain pool where any internet user worldwide has the chance to register it?

So in the end, 5 or 6 registrars will end up owning 99% of all pre-owned domains and the rest of us will just have to go suck eggs?

What a lovely system you're cheering on!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Ah so you'd rather see the domain tied up for eternity by a corporation that has a competitive advantage...
    Sure. I'll let the activist leftists worry about it. I'm not going to...

X

Regarding Network Solutions' practice of reserving domain names for four days after a name search: I was told by NS support a couple days ago that if I search a name, I can give them a call and request that it be released. Then I can immediately register it wherever I please. It's not worth the hassle though. I'm never searching through NS again...

X

ABW Ambassador
    What about this:

"Network Solutions: Not Just Thieves and Hijackers, Now Using Tactics That Can Get Your Site Banned From Google"

http://smackdown.blogsblogsblogs.com...d-from-google/

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What about this:

"Network Solutions: Not Just Thieves and Hijackers, Now Using Tactics That Can Get Your Site Banned From Google"

http://smackdown.blogsblogsblogs.com...d-from-google/
    ...Interesting
    I wasn't able to duplicate this with any of our domain names hosted with NS, probably because we host our own DNS. Yet another confirmation that my decision to move all our domains off NS is a good one.

X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast