Advertise on Adwords? Do your Pages load slow? Better watch out
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-988...l?tag=nefd.top

seems like google wants to penalize slow loading pages

First: it's about time. This will force web developers to focus more on the user experience, which is always a good thing. It's very, very frustrating to click on an AdWords ad (or organic listing) and wait 10, 15, 20 seconds to even see what kind of site I've reached. I often hit "stop" and the "back" button before really slow sites load.

Second: this should force some of us to re-think our site designs:
    - Many sites using PopShops (dynamically) often have some incredibly slow load times.
    - The use of multiple redirects can slow things down.
    - Many database-driven sites often have lags.
    - And beware: database-driven sites that are normally quite zippy may slow down while Googlebot indexes them -- use robots.txt to pace Googlebot's requests.

I switched from "live database" sites to WebMerge-generated pages in order to improve page-load times, several years ago, but my recent experiments with PopShops have brought back some serious lag.

i have also heard the google wants to penalize to slow loading pages. I have also heard that it is just a myth. I really don't know what to believe! I am a graphic designer student myself and know that it is very important to make your sites user friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    i have also heard the google wants to penalize to slow loading pages. I have also heard that it is just a myth.
    It's no myth.
    http://adwords.blogspot.com/2008/03/...l-soon-be.html
    "Landing page load time will soon be incorporated into Quality Score"

The biggest problems I encounter is with the javascript ads and tools provided by 3rd parties such as networks. Sometimes they work fine and sometimes lag the page tremendously. So I usually avoid them.

If I decide to make a 100K page loaded with tables, at least I know what I am getting into & what the tradeoff is.

well i'll be sure to make my web pages load fast...LOL
    thanks!

I'm wondering if this could add to the value of affiliates with fast pages over their merchants that are super slow. I often check links as they go up, and it's sometimes painful to watch those wonderfully great and magnificent flash pages load.

i just optimized one of my lenses it loads lightning fast

> "I'm wondering if this could add to the value of affiliates with fast pages over their merchants that are super slow." <

This could create some great opportunities, if affiliates actively seek out merchants with relatively slow load times and create suitable landing pages.

The often-slow performance of Yahoo Stores comes to mind: if an affiliate gets permission and stores images locally on a faster server, they certainly might end up with lower bid rates for the same keywords.

yeah that could be a factor, what are your guys views on godaddy.com for their servers. Personally I think that they are top notch speed!

Silver, I don't think that most "page loading delays" for AdWords landing pages are due to slow servers.

My perception is that slow load times come from several different sources:

(1) multiple scripts and/or database accesses to serve a single page request (including SSI/shtml, CSS, javascript, include files, asp, php, cf, etc., and possibly including local ad-serving software);

(2) attempts to load page content from multiple servers (including widgets and javascript code, third-party ad-serving, images stored on third-party servers, traffic tracking codes, etc.). Many affiliate sites load banners and product-images from multiple network and/or merchant servers.

(3) huge content pages (certainly this includes those huge tables that can't be shown until the </table> tag is finally loaded, but also some pages that "look" small and simple with little visible content, but bloated with scripts, comments, obscure unused meta-tags, etc.). I'm constantly amazed to view sites that are overloaded with hundreds of lines of UNUSED scripts and style sheets. And one of my "pet peeves" are sites that include long strings of spaces for indentation of code and extensive comments that end users never see (some pages are 90% space & tab characters).

(4) slow servers, usually due to oversold bandwidth or CPU on a shared server (and sometimes because a host is "throttling" bandwidth).

Note that many "slow loading" pages can be attributed to multiple issues, such as Yahoo Stores' overall slow performance in serving page content combined with their use of separate servers to deliver merchants' site content and images, and the common use of Google AdWords and Analytics (or WebTrends, etc.) scripts on the same pages.

Many (probably most) slow pages could easily be modified to make them load faster -- at least so that the "above-the-fold" content is quickly visible.

FYI, a number of site-analysis and reporting tools, including Alexa, provide a load-time estimate.

Example: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main/markwelch.com
    "Speed: Very Fast (97% of sites are slower), Avg Load Time: .3 Seconds"

Example: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main/abestweb.com
    "Speed: Average (58% of sites are slower), Average Load Time 2.0 Seconds"

Example: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main/mytimes.com
    "Speed: Slow (67% of sites are faster), Avg Load Time: 3.4 Seconds"

I really want to repeat and emphasize that a "fast" site might actually appear slow to Googlebot, if you don't use settings in the robots.txt file to prevent it from crawling your pages too quickly. Your site can have awesome speed for 23 hours and 30 minutes per day, when there are an average of a dozen page requests per minute; but if Googlebot tries to load 1,000 of your pages between 3:18 and 3:32 a.m., your server may slow to a crawl, and Google may then conclude that your server is slow and downgrade your Quality Score accordingly. They are aware of this, since they are going to let us see their data for our sites' load times BEFORE they actually implement the Quality Score changes.
    Last edited by markwelch; March 9th, 2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph.

sweet i will have to check that tool out
    thanks!

The biggest problems I encounter is with the javascript ads and tools provided by 3rd parties such as networks. Sometimes they work fine and sometimes lag the page tremendously. So I usually avoid them.
    This makes me wonder if the time taken for Javascript Includes will be taken into account. If they are just scraping a site to get the load time then it won't, but if they have got some new fangled way of calculating the load time including client-side includes then it will reflect the true load time. But I doubt it will include them.

However, looking at the "interstitial" definition - maybe it will.

Mark, thanks for the tips. The time it takes for the page to load is important to keep in mind.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This isn't new, I've experienced it first hand... I posted a few tips last month, as well as a link to a site-timer that lists each file & how long it takes (no affiliation, just trying to be helpful).

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=100610

Interesting that the post says google will "soon be looking at the length of time".. it's always been a factor in landing page quality... perhaps now it will just be measured formally.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread