New laptop; new operating system ARRRRRG!
    Lost the entire day because I pushed the wrong button and turned off the internet by mistake. Just found out what that button was for!!!

ARRRRRRRG!

Now, I have to download all my old programs again and transfere my files two gigs at a time with a USB which is a new tool to me, too.

That isn't to mention all my bookmarks and other nonsense.

I think I will just watch YouTube!

Maybe, by the end of the week I will make some more pages.

Computer Geek really advises against networking the computers. He says too much chance of things going wrong and files being lost or corrupted with wireless networking.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

No Longer Banned!
    9 GB DVD's for data Back ups On DreamLinux ?...
    SS

One thing you can do is try to get the 9 GB DVD's at Fry's. this way you'll be able to make it go a little faster and then you'll also have back ups.

Also, if you have a decent printer you might find it a good idea to invest 9 USD in some good Quality CD Label stock. Then you can read what the back up files are in a few years if or more like when you have trouble w/ your system.

This is like the ultimate way to go here.

Steve Does Linux !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

http and a telephoto
    When I was at Office Max today I saw an ethernet cable (also known as a CAT5e cable) that *said* it was for hooking 2 computers directly together without a hub or other networking paraphernalia. I just went through the whole moving files from one computer to another deal, but I have many external drives and just used those. If I had to do it again (and probably will!) I would try out one of those cables in a heartbeat.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you. I have XP on one and Vista on the other. If I hard wire them together even for a while, then I would have to network the two computers, right? Everyone tells me things from "can't be done" to "Pay $65 and I will do it". I guess networking the two systems is a real pain. So, I will just carry my bits and pieces a little at a time I guess.

Thanks.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The type of cable loxy mentioned is simply an ethernet cross over cable as opposed to a normal ethernet cable which is straight through. This eliminates the need for a hub but is still a standard network connection as if the hub was present. The two computers will need to be configured for a peer to peer network connection.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    External drives with USB are the way to go. Plug it in, then drag and drop directories at a time with window's explorer. The last external drive I bought was 200 gigs for $55 at staples - but it was on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Computer Geek really advises against networking the computers. He says too much chance of things going wrong and files being lost or corrupted with wireless networking.
    SSanf it's a dangerous world out there. However, you can minimize the danger in using today's wireless technology. There have been a few threads about the benefits of wireless vs. the dangers. You can also use a hard wired hub for your home network. The Internet itself is dangerous, but that obviously hasn't stopped you from using it, you take precautions.

If you are looking for a one time transfer of your files and settings from your old machine to your new than a crossover cable or using Windows Easy Transfer. If you intend to continue to use both systems than a better solution is required. Networking the 2 machines would be one way another would be to use a service like FolderShare and a third would be to use a shared external drive. Each of these has benefits and would also provide you with a backup of important data should something happen to one of the machines.

If you do not intend to continue to use both systems, than I would strongly recommend the external drive solution. Not only will it give you a quick and easy way to transfer your current files, but it will also provide you with a reliable way to backup your system going forward.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

While WiFi is ideal for roaming around with a laptop, I don't believe it is wise choice for your primary full time network connection. Several reasons...

WiFi is vulnerable to hits and drops
    Lower speed except for advanced WiFi protocols
    Insecure if not set up properly (Internet stealing is rampant in neighborhoods)

We installed a WiFi access point here only a couple months ago. I wanted to sit in an easy chair with a laptop and work in front of the TV. The WiFi router is set to not advertise itself, uses high encryption and requires a password for access.

We also added a Windows Vista computer in our household, and made the same "internet-disabling" mistake.

After hearing from a family member about problems apparently caused by conflicts between Windows Vista and the free McAfee security software provided by Comcast, we registered for Microsoft Live OneCarefor our virus protection (the price was just $30 for a year, including 3 computers).

To my astonishment, as we installed it on each computer (two XP and one Vista) Windows Live OneCare actually "discovered" the other computers on the network, and their printers, and guided us through setting up some of the network connections. For the first time, I can print from my computer to my wife's printer.

I'm no Microsoft fan, but this definitely qualifies as a Good Thing.

When moving from her old XP computer to her new Vista computer, my wife used an external USB hard drive (we now have 3 of them: 80GB, 120GB, and 250GB).

We are not using the OneCare backup feature, because it refuses to make a backup unless we agree to let it reformat our external hard drive from FAT to NTFS format.

Boomers wrote (in part): > "The WiFi router is set not to advertise itself, uses high encryption and requires a password for access." <

I'm not sure that high encryption is really necessary, but Comcast requires that you use it if you lease their router and home networking service ($100 installation plus $5 per month, well worth it to get past the Comcast-support "finger-pointing" game that you get if you use your own router). (Alas, this means a long random password which was incredibly difficult to type "blind" into our iPhones when we connected them for WiFi access.)

Absolutely, definitely "don't advertise" -- set the network to not announce its name and availability -- and don't pick an obvious network name. Note that by "not advertising," you're also doing your neighbors a favor when they set up their own wireless networks, since they won't have to see yours included in the list of available networks and wonder if that's yours.

Get a Mac.

Okay, okay, I'm just kidding...
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not sure that high encryption is really necessary, but Comcast requires that you use it if you lease their router and home networking service ($100 installation plus $5 per month, well worth it to get past the Comcast-support "finger-pointing" game that you get if you use your own router). (Alas, this means a long random password which was incredibly difficult to type "blind" into our iPhones when we connected them for WiFi access.)
    Yes, the high encryption is a real hassle. Saw a show on PBS a while back that was about data stealing. Anything less than the highest encryption is now easily broken by encryption busting software. It takes place mainly in parking lots of businesses that use WiFi. The perp will sit in a car in the parking lot with a WiFi enabled laptop and capture all the data he wants. That's how a lot of credit card information has been stolen. For personal use it's probably unlikely that someone will park on the street and steal your data, but anytime you log in to a site or your network with a username/password, that information is broadcast outside via radio waves. A malicious neighbor kid could easily monitor your data looking for something to steal. (eBay account, PayPal account, your lan)
    I may be paranoid, but nothing but the highest encryption for us!

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Get a Mac.
    Oh no! A Mac hack?

I have had trouble access xp shares from vista computers. To solve it I found a website suggesting to change a setting in the Local Security Policy.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Security Options - Network Security: Lan Manager authentication level Properties

Change it to 'Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated'

Worked for me.

"Computer Geek really advises against networking the computers".

I don't get that statement at all. Wireless or otherwise once it works and it works. I've run wireless and wired networks forever. Nothing get 'corrupted'. (if it is working). It is not like the first Star Trek movie where the first person through the transported ended up inside out.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    "Computer Geek really advises against networking the computers".
    I don't get that statement at all.
    Agreed! Communication is what it's all about and to advise against it makes no sense. Makes me think the advice was taken out of context or hear-say.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    When I was at Office Max today I saw an ethernet cable (also known as a CAT5e cable) that *said* it was for hooking 2 computers directly together without a hub or other networking paraphernalia.
    Yup, this is called a 'cross over' cable, if you wanna ask for it by name.

Why don't you get a USB Dongle network thingy.

That way you don't have to worry about setting up a network and cross over cable this and bridgeing that.

http://www.linkusb.com/ <-- not endorceing that site just the first one I found on google, you can get it for cheaper elsewhere if you look.

And as a computer geek with 10 years experience, and having my awards plastered next to touchpads on laptops and cases for computers from HP and Toshiba, I will say I TRUST IN WIRELESS NETWORKS.

I too trust wifi networks - my home is networked through wifi connections as well as our office, but I do sit 200 feet away from the server room......

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread