Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    An updated list of the merchants managed by PepperJam
    http://www.pepperjam.com/client-list.php

    uPromise is still there. Thanks PepperJam for promoting these thieves.

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    An updated list of the merchants managed by PepperJam
    http://www.pepperjam.com/client-list.php

    uPromise is still there. Thanks PepperJam for promoting these thieves.
    What makes uPromise thieves? Because their users knowingly download an application because they want to shop through uPromise? I haven't heard of them doing any rougue installs??
    And really if the shopper wants to shop through uPromise but gets your cookie somehow, aren't you stealing from the shopper since they wanted to get their shopping done through uPromise?

  3. #3
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    What makes uPromise thieves? Because their users knowingly download an application because they want to shop through uPromise? I haven't heard of them doing any rougue installs??
    And really if the shopper wants to shop through uPromise but gets your cookie somehow, aren't you stealing from the shopper since they wanted to get their shopping done through uPromise?
    I don't say uPromise is doing rogues installs. It's not the subject.
    Now, if a customer is a member of uPromise with their software loaded, and if that customer visit my site to buy from one of my merchants, I consider the commission should be mine.
    More likely uPromise will overwrite my cookie and claim my commission. How do you call that?

    If a shopper wants to get his cashback from uPromise, well let that shopper shops from uPromise not from my site.
    In no case this shopper will get one of my cookies if he don't click one of the physical links on my site.

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I don't say uPromise is doing rogues installs. It's not the subject.
    Now, if a customer is a member of uPromise with their software loaded, and if that customer visit my site to buy from one of my merchants, I consider the commission should be mine.
    More likely uPromise will overwrite my cookie and claim my commission. How do you call that?

    If a shopper wants to get his cashback from uPromise, well let that shopper shops from uPromise not from my site.
    In no case this shopper will get one of my cookies if he don't click one of the physical links on my site.
    Do you have proof that this is happening? You have proof that people have come to your site and then used the UPromise toolbar? Or are you just assuming they do? Just because it could happen doesn't mean it is. I would say it is more a case of the shopper already on the merchant site and being reminded of UPromise. Most people I know of that use those cashback sites are pretty good at remembering to shop through there but like the toolbar to remind them, just in case.

  5. #5
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    Admin Note: Upromise discussion was split from the PJN launches (revived) thread.

  6. #6
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    I did my own experiment a few years ago. I did it after their switch from TopMoxie to Compete. I remember doing it after reading this post:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6462795.html so it was in 2006
    It was before Kellie post on the same subject.
    http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...s-new-toolbar/
    It doesn't take too long to see how they overwrite your cookies.

    You know how these parasites work. You're still using ?afsrc=1 in your links. You must be afraid of something.
    I'm pretty sure 98% of the affiliates (out of ABW) have no idea of what ?afsrc=1 means.

  7. #7
    Affiliate Network Rep
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2007
    Posts
    207
    uPromise
    Zues,

    uPromise is not an advertiser on Pepperjam Network and Pepperjam does not manage the uPromise Affiliate Program. We work with uPromise within our marketing services division.

    Does this help?

  8. #8
    Affiliate Network Rep
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2007
    Posts
    207
    FYI - I believe the uPromise affiliate program is managed by experienceadvertising.com
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; March 9th, 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Removed free link to Evan's site - easy with the link drops there Kris.

  9. #9
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperjam
    Zues,
    uPromise is not an advertiser on Pepperjam Network and Pepperjam does not manage the uPromise Affiliate Program. We work with uPromise within our marketing services division. Does this help?
    Yes, indeed, thanks. If I remember you managed it a few years ago. And uPromise is still on CJ.

  10. #10
    Affiliate Network Rep
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2007
    Posts
    207
    Nope - Pepperjam never managed the uPromise program.

  11. #11
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperjam
    FYI - I believe the uPromise affiliate program is managed by experienceadvertising.com
    Correct, see http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=10
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  12. #12
    Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperjam
    FYI - I believe the uPromise affiliate program is managed by experienceadvertising.com
    Why couldn't you say that a month ago?
    Thanks, lets go forward, not back.

    Welcome to the forum.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter



  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I did my own experiment a few years ago. I did it after their switch from TopMoxie to Compete. I remember doing it after reading this post:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6462795.html so it was in 2006
    It was before Kellie post on the same subject.
    http://affiliatefairplay.com/newsblo...s-new-toolbar/
    It doesn't take too long to see how they overwrite your cookies.

    You know how these parasites work. You're still using ?afsrc=1 in your links. You must be afraid of something.
    I'm pretty sure 98% of the affiliates (out of ABW) have no idea of what ?afsrc=1 means.
    I am not saying that the toolbar wouldn't overwrite my cookies if a person came to my site and had the toolbar knowingly installed and I didn't have afsrc=1 on my links. And I am not "afraid". I am just doing what the networks told me to do.
    I am saying that this was the way the networks set it up, so that it wouldn't happen. Also, what if I have the afsrc-1 on my site, and by some chance a person goes through my link and they don't understand how affiliate marketing works. They could care less who gets credit as long as they get their credit due. They might be pissed at the website with afsrc=1 on it because it interfered with their cash back.
    I think if a person has the toolbar installed and want to get their cash back then so be it. The customer is always right. I would say that I didn't do for that customer what they wanted, I didn't offer them the value that the loyalty site offered them.

    I don't get angry at UPromise, I would worry more about what I can offer the consumer to make them want to use my links instead.

    As for the affiliates who don't come to ABW and don't know about afsrc=1, their loss. If they are active in affiliate marketing they should know about this place. Not like it isn't talked about in merchant newsletters and such. Oh wait, many affiliates don't bother to read their affiliate emails...Well then it is their loss.

  14. #14
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    As for the affiliates who don't come to ABW and don't know about afsrc=1, their loss.
    I come to ABW but I didn't know about afsr=1 because it hasn't been discussed recently. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  15. #15
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I come to ABW but I didn't know about afsr=1 because it hasn't been discussed recently. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
    Then perhaps someone should add it to a spot where newbies will read?

  16. #16
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Then perhaps someone should add it to a spot where newbies will read?
    Second the suggestion
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  17. #17
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I come to ABW but I didn't know about afsr=1 because it hasn't been discussed recently. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
    Ditto on that.

  18. #18
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    flamingoworld - I think if a person has the toolbar installed and want to get their cash back then so be it. The customer is always right. I would say that I didn't do for that customer what they wanted, I didn't offer them the value that the loyalty site offered them.
    That's where we differ. I've an agreement with a merchant to be paid on ALL the transactions sent to him. A customer, even if it's his choice, can't interfere with that agreement.

    re: your second point. If the customer is shopping on my site it's because he didn't find in the loyalty site the value he was looking for. I should be paid for the service I provided.

  19. #19
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Then perhaps someone should add it to a spot where newbies will read?
    Perhaps someone better at coding than I should write a tutorial in the "newbies faq/whatever" on afsr=1.

    What about affiliates who generate CJ links and other links that could use afsr=1 via PopShops? Does Popshops automatically insert the afsr=1?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    So then if someone comes to your site, doesn't find a coupon and then comes to my site and gets the coupon without clicking on my link, I should get paid for the service I provided? Happens all the time, but nothing I can do about it is there?

  21. #21
    Beachy Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2005
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    ......What about affiliates who generate CJ links and other links that could use afsr=1 via PopShops? Does Popshops automatically insert the afsr=1?
    Good Question!

    BTW - isn't it afsrc=1 - I'm not all that familiar with the concept - but it seems like I need to be...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

  22. #22
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Good Question!

    BTW - isn't it afsrc=1 - I'm not all that familiar with the concept - but it seems like I need to be...
    My questions arose from comments from Zeus and a response from FlamingoWorld:

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    You know how these parasites work. You're still using ?afsrc=1 in your links. You must be afraid of something.
    I'm pretty sure 98% of the affiliates (out of ABW) have no idea of what ?afsrc=1 means.
    I for one am an active affiliate (not necessarily "super") but I don't use "?afsrc=1" -- I might have been tangently aware of it but I didn't think it was anything that had to be done in order to bump off parasites.

    I have been an affiliate since 1998 but I did not know of any affiliate forums until I stumbled on ABW (2006?).
    I code manually but not all of my LS links use the "special coding" of signature (although a handful do - but signature is optional) and I've never used afsrc=1 [I don't really remember a discussion on it, and I probably thought it was optional].
    It's not going to be a romp through the park editing every single CJ & PFX/etc. link to include afsrc=1 and my fear is if I don't get it right [like cloaking was a failure for me] then nothing will work.

    If I use Pepperjam do I need to use "?afsrc=1"? If one of my merchants in on PepperJam plus another network, should I use "?afsrc=1"?

    Is using "?afsrc=1" a best practice?
    Last edited by Rhia7; March 9th, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,053
    What's the topic of this thread? Is it now a newbies instructional thread teaching all about afsrc?

  24. #24
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Perhaps someone better at coding than I should write a tutorial in the "newbies faq/whatever" on afsr=1.

    What about affiliates who generate CJ links and other links that could use afsr=1 via PopShops? Does Popshops automatically insert the afsr=1?
    So why don't you start a thread about it instead of hijacking this one?

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador simcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,786
    oops! wrong thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (Split) Signature Discussion
    By rematt in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
  2. Anonymity Discussion [Split Off]
    By Rhea in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
  3. Split Thread - More TM Bidding Discussion
    By Trust in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •