No Longer Banned!
    Why E mail Market ? ...
    Q:

What types of email marketing are considered spam ?

Q:

What types are not.

Q:

Assuming that spam is not ethical {NO debates or flames here, please.} ~ What steps can be undertaken to email market in a ETHICAL manner ?

Please only provide technical info. Try to refrain from telling me I am DR. Evil or asking me WHY I need to know.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; March 9th, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    A: If the person did not ask for the email and you are selling something then it is spam.

A: If the person asked for the email by signing up for your list or agreeing to be sent offers from others, then it's not spam.

A:Only send email to people who have specifically signed up for your mailing list.

One of the most valuable email lists is the double opt-in (it's a smaller list, but higher quality & more targeted)... this is when a name is only added to the list if the recipient clicks on a confirmation link.

Bullet points from the CAN-SPAM Act:

"# It bans false or misleading header information. Your email's "From," "To," and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person who initiated the email.

# It prohibits deceptive subject lines. The subject line cannot mislead the recipient about the contents or subject matter of the message.

# It requires that your email give recipients an opt-out method. You must provide a return email address or another Internet-based response mechanism that allows a recipient to ask you not to send future email messages to that email address, and you must honor the requests. You may create a "menu" of choices to allow a recipient to opt out of certain types of messages, but you must include the option to end any commercial messages from the sender."

There are a number of php-based apps out there to manage a double opt-in list... it may grow at a smaller pace, but it's worth it in the long run. Alternatively, if you "import" addresses into one of these apps to convert a list to double opt-in , the list may shrink once recipients have access to the "unsubscribe" link.

where do you purchase such e-mail list??? sorry new to this...

An often overlooked email marketing method is to leverage your day to day email activities. Of course this may not apply to those who don't often communicate with customers. But if you do, include appropriate offers and {affiliate} links within your email. Your offers can be extremely targeted. You can also include an opt-in request asking if they'd like to receive notice of great deals on related products. Thus build your email list for future campaigns.
    Also, an email auto responder program is well suited to email marketing. We use Devicode Response Mailer Professional. No, we are not an affiliate. I found it to be a fantastic marketing tool. It's very configurable if you're willing to spend a little time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    where do you purchase such e-mail list??? sorry new to this...
    Purchasing an email list is not a good thing. They are usually not legitimate opt-in addresses but are harvested and you can't count of them being targeted. You have only the word of the person you purchase from...

i have found people that have bought stuff through my affiliate link are good to target on new products I am selling

Silver93350, you might want to read the above post about the CAN-SPAM act, most networks will can you if you're caught spamming and using a bought list would be spam. To email market legitimately your site visitors would need to opt in to a mailing list voluntarily. There are other details to the law, but basically no one on a bought mailing list has opted in to receive your email marketing so it would be 100% spam.

Interesting point 2busy, about bought lists...

I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole (you're right about harvested & terrible quality), but I'm not sure if they would be considered spam if you provided an opt-out.. it would depend on the T&C at the time of email sign-up. I'm no legal expert, but I modified my own based on stock legal wording .. there are sometimes provisions about "we may be able to share your info, blah blah"..

I'm splitting hairs here, I know... I'm totally against bought lists, but this just made me wonder...

Unless absolutely credible (or part of a site transition), anyone who buys a list is probably just throwing away good money.

i did not not know that. If they had bought some product that had to do with cars well say, and you had a new campain with new car stuff and just sent them to your site to see if they are interested. Kind of like on ebay when your seller has new items....

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread