Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    .....checked their computers for parasites. Each one had at least 9 parasites on them. Jeeeeeze.......... I politely asked the librarian if she was aware that their PCs had dozens of parasites and spyware loaded on them, and she said, "Well, we have someone check the PCs out every week, so I'm sure it's all right." LOL! Heh, just contacted a mucky-muck by email and asked the same question, wonder if I will get the same response.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It just makes you wonder how many thousands of libraries need to be contacted. I mean, think about this, if there are 100 libraries in 50 states, who average only 6 PCs, that's 30,000 PCs that could have sales redirected from us to parasites. It's also 30,000 potential sales for anyone trying to sell Aleria downloads. And, of course, there are also thousands of libraries scattered about the globe, all probably infected. Anyone contacting them?

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    if there are 100 libraries in 50 states, who average only 6 PCs, that's 30,000 PCs that could have sales redirected from us to parasites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm sure that number is incredibly low, though not all libraries will have more than 1 PC, there are certainly considerably more than 100 libraries in each state...

It's not only lost sales for affiliates, but every sale from all of those, likely less frequent, buyers generates a payable commission to the merchants that bed down with the parasites with also no likely benefit to the buyer as they're using the library version not their own account.

Edit: BTW, when I first saw your title, my first thought was "Gee, I've never heard of The Library, wonder why they dropped them and whether it's a program I want to look at or not"

[This message was edited by ShoreMark on July 14, 2003 at 07:37 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If most buyers are like me, they're very reluctant to enter their CC data over a public computer! Only the really compelling products got ordered before I had my own, and even then it was under severe duress--and never an item I could get at a bricks-and-mortar store. Worrying about someone getting ahold of my CC# took all the joy out of the endeavor!

In other words, there probably aren't all that many sales coming from libraries in the first place.

~Revenue is King

Contacting libraries? Come on... (if you're serious about it)

First, you have to explain them affiliate marketing, then explain how parasites and work and convince them this is not ethical and they should be on the side of affiliates. Also to be considered; parasitic programs are not illegal.

The real fight with parasites should consist making sure their functionality does not interfere with other people's deserved money. Figthing after a a computer infected is a long shot. There are millions of them.

ABW Ambassador
    This is really sad.

You know, a thought crossed my mind the other night when I was at the movies watching the new Terminator 3 movie. I just couldn't help but notice some similarites in parasites and that whole Skynet thing taking over the world .

Seriously though folks , I was bugging out for a brief moment there and wondering if time travel and taking out the bastard that invented parasites was even a possibility.

Who will make a purchase via public library computers?

The librarian staff ?

http://8n.nu/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Seriously though folks , I was bugging out for a brief moment there and wondering if time travel and taking out the bastard that invented parasites was even a possibility. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wouldn't work... They're like fleas, where there was one (geek who wrote the parasiteware) there's hundreds.

Anne

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

ABW Ambassador
    Couldnt you have just brought in adaware (or your favorite tool(s)) and cleaned them?

I spot checked about 30 university library pc's once.. full of all kinds of spyware (even with the commercial "lockdown" software they were using). I disabled their windoze protection software (not very hard) and cleaned a bunch of them.. pita.. they'll be reinfected next day or so.

----
    -JM

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread