Cool Inactive Column on Dashboard but Items Really Available
    I'd been assuming items in the inactive column meant I would have a bunch of dead links, so always ended up taking the page down or never putting it on a site ..

After click - click - clicking one page that showed all as Inactive on the Dashboard and "Not Available" in the box of items to the right in Edit Shop, I discovered they all really were alive and well on the web page.

so what does Inactive on the Dashboard really refer to?

Many Thanks for an answer to this! I snapped my back many months ago trying to move a big old CRT monitor and it still Really hurts to sit at PC, so maybe I'm doing all that clicking for nothing.

Inactive means that the item you chose is no longer in the datafeed. Now, some merchants will change the item number or something which causes popshops to show it as inactive but the item is still there but needs to be reselected. It is also possible that the merchant has removed the item from the datafeed but it is still on their site. Also, popshops will, by default, still show the item on your shop ... you can change that option to replace it with another similar product.

I've never seen an unavailable item actually be available and have the link work to it. Are they all for the one merchant? Is it possible that it is one that popshops has dropped for some reason? Not sure if the links would still work in that case.

I had that on one of CSN Stores shops, it showed 27 out of 30 items as inactive shortly after building the shop but when I "removed" them and went to pick more products, there were the same items available. I wrote to Brent but he's kinda busy I guess, I never got a reply.

I have that too with some of my merchants. In some cases, the product inventory could be low and they have removed it from the current datafeed but when clicked from the website it still goes to the merchant's item. Once the item is sold out, you should start getting a default page or item is no longer available showing on the merchant's website.

At this time, all we have to go on is what the merchants have or don't have in their feeds. If an item has been removed we mark it inactive. Maybe there is a better term we could use? Maybe "Unknown?"

That's why we have given users the ability to continue showing "inactive" items. Sometime they are still available and it really is a case by case basis.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Jessie .. checked and find mine are same as 2busy, it's always a CSN shop doing that. The employee of CSN in charge of feeding you that particular category could possibly not know what she's doing, or "something". I'm going to assume it's safe to assume we can leave our PopShop link up on CSN regardless of the Dashboard and the Unavailable sign on the Images in Edit Shop as long as clicking links on our own page goes to the product and it's available. I do choose continue showing "inactive" items option for them. With other merchants, will be more wary.

Thanks!

One of my shops contains 4 products from Taylor Gifts that have been showing as "inactive" now for a couple of weeks. I checked and the links still work and all 4 products are available (?). Since they are unique items I can't find elsewhere, I just ignore that number 4 in the inactive column.

But this really makes me wonder how many products I'm replacing on a daily basis that I really wouldn't have to. I do choose "replace with similar" in preferences but I'd rather know a truly similar product is displayed.

Re CSN stores, if you're getting this on a lot of items -

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 80070583'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/cominc/fn_lib_dbconnect.asp, line 221

It's not PopShops or SAS's fault, it's CSN'S website doing it. Maybe they're doing maintenance in the Wee hours, which is when most of us do our best work.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread