Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    This tools lets you preview the types of ads Google would display on your site.

http://google.blogspace.com/archives/000984

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing 5 Star Affiliate Programs: DentalPlans|zZounds|Irv's Luggage|Roadloans

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You know, the way I am looking at the adsense program, everyone is going to try to load adsense onto sites where they can't sell anything else. Unless google is really careful, that program does have the capability of degrading their service somewhat.

I mean, if you have a site that sells product well, you are going to promote the merchants yourself. On pages where no one buys, you'll pawn off this traffic.

I bet they are pretty tight about who they let into that program.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

- - - - -
    part of the acceptance info:

If Google has not yet
    crawled your site we may not be able to serve relevant ads on your
    site. This may take a few hours or more, so in the meantime, we may
    display public service ads, for which you will not receive earnings.
    - - - - - -

Ummmm.....sounds like acceptance into their program gets your site crawled within a few hours? Does this have any significance at all, or is it just the equivalent of a freshbot dealy?

-Preacher, Pale Rider

From what I've heard the Adsense-induced crawl has no relevance to the SERPS - the two are completely separate. In other words, putting up AdSense is not a fasttrack to a listing.

But for all the protestations, you've got to say that there's a big temptation to give AdSense sites a little ranking boost.

And equally, there's the same temptation in reverse for Google's SE competitors.

Let's hope everyone plays fair.

>> I bet they are pretty tight about who they let into that program.

Hell, no! They want to shift as many clicks as possible, and they'll sacrifice margin to do it. They want to *be* Overture, and they've got the brand to supplant them. They've also got a 5p bid minimum, and traffic figures that don't make me choke... nar mean?

>> I mean, if you have a site that sells product well, you are going to promote the merchants yourself.

Yup. But AdSense is a nice way to get paid to roadtest a new area, see what works etc. I wonder if they'll EVER improve the reporting. I wouldn't if I were them

The way I look at it, the content sites I built and that are in Dmoz, will now pay for themselves instead of just giving PR to my sales sites..

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>everyone is going to try to load adsense onto sites where they can't sell anything else <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was all set to cover a certain site with those ads, but the Terms say there can't be any other in-context text links on the page or enticement to click.

With all the product-specific text links on a sales site (and spin to get people excited enough to click), I think it may not pass...

As for the c*ntent sites, though--what Ladyboss said. I can't stand a site that doesn't make money either, PR or not!

~Revenue is King

Well they accepted my site, and I have links all over it, I thought they meant you couldn't have any other cpc ads on it, but I've been wrong before. So, unless they just looked at one page and accepted it, I think you would be okay. You should email them first and ask.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader, I think if you take a non-performing site that isn't too overloaded with affiliate links you should get in. Strip the aff links off if there's too many (you won't need any, actually), and maybe put a little tutorial about something on the home page.

Ummm...after looking this over and installing it on one site, I'm kind of excied about it, actually. This has potential.

-Preacher, Pale Rider

Just curious, do parasites pop-up with adsense?

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    No. They are all text links to websites and the relevance to the site content is amazing.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Whiznot, I got in with my c*ntent site, so no problems there.

I read the terms again, and I think it'll be fine. I'm not giving any incentives for clicks, and I've seen sites with a lot more ads than I have... Plus, judging by these recent threads they aren't having any problems with aff. sites!

Mousejockey--they're just regular AdWords ads, and which ones appear depend on the text on your page.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Plus, judging by these recent threads they aren't having any problems with aff. sites!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, well, actually ... I got a big reject email today. I sent an email asking for why and said that the only possible reason I could think of was that I have ads on the right side of each page, but that is where the google adwords would go so I didn't see what the problem was. I got a very nice form letter back rejecting me again and telling me they didn't have time to tell me why they rejected me the first time.

It really stinks because it's a site that I had given up for dead which hit a couple of good keywords in the last update. In the last couple of weeks its gone from almost 0 hits to over 3,000 uniques. It's more of a content site than affiliate site so I've made $0 from it. Things that make you go Aggggghhhhhh!

Kip

Kip, is that the only site you have? If you have another, apply again with that one. Once they accept your site they'll not argue if the hits come from another of your sites.

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

ABW Ambassador
    No, I have a bunch of other sites so I could resubmit and will probably get in ... well maybe, I thought that on this one too. .

Do you think they have some type of block or something on a declined site (ie., will they know I'm putting their ads on a rejected site?)

Thanks,
    Kip

[This message was edited by Kip on July 07, 2003 at 01:42 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> With all the product-specific text links on a sales site (and spin to get people excited enough to click), I think it may not pass... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may pass. Google accepted mine in less than 5 minutes, and by no means my site is a content site.

I just put ads on those pages that don't convert at all, unfortunately (or fortunately), people still click on my links instead of the Google ads.

ABW Ambassador
    Found that article on SiteProNews/ExactSeek Webmaster Newsletter:

"Google Adsense Could Mean
    Death to Affiliate Programs!
    By Mike Banks Valentine copyright (c) 2003

The popular search engine, Google, has introduced a dramatic new contextual advertising service called Adsense. This new program could mean death to affiliate programs on those web sites that qualify for the Adsense program. Why would Google advertising affect affiliate programs? Because Google is making Adsense ads available to smaller content rich sites.Adsense dramatically simplifies the process of choosing appropriate advertising for sections of sites. Since it's all automatic with Adsense, I'm through with searching for affiliate programs to fit my content. It just doesn't pay enough to justify the effort in most cases. While I won't dump existing producers, I'm dropping those affiliate programs that don't produce like hot potatoes.

I've moved house often over the last few years and in that process have struggled to keep affiliate programs abreast of the latest contact and banking information. Several honest affiliate program managers have emailed me after getting my affiliate checks returned from previous snail mail addresses.
    Adsense will resolve this issue for me as I needn't keep the hundreds of affiliate programs up-to-date on my latest mailing address and/or banking information - only Google Adsense. I'm dropping smaller unproductive affiliate programs.
    Allan Gardyne of Associate Programs penned an interesting and insightful article on Adsense this past week where he mentions this as an issue and predicts the death of smaller or weaker affiliate programs."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you think they have some type of block or something on a declined site (ie., will they know I'm putting their ads on a rejected site?)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. I have three base sites plus mirrors. They will accept hits from all 11 or 12, but if their engines can't detect subject matter they'll probably put public service messages on those pages. Some of my shopping site pages are just a long list of things like tools via amazon.con and they try to match ads with the content, even if it is just an ad for a switchplate supplier.

One thing to consider, though, is they may be sensitive to CTR and if you think some of your pages aren't being served relevant ads you may want to omit the code from those pages until you can fix the problem with content and keywords.

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
    Kip

ABW Ambassador
    It could get the same story like gator was in its start. A lot of affiliates offered gator on theri sites. The rest is history.

carneol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Ummmm.....sounds like acceptance into their program gets your site crawled within a few hours? Does this have any significance at all, or is it just the equivalent of a freshbot dealy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true, have tested it, but like it's been said before the "AdSense Googlebot" doesn't effect SERPs. It just crawls your site for content so AdSense knows what kind of ads to display.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread