CJ vs PJ Summary ?
    Like many I received the email about some CJ merchant links having to be updated with PJ links. This would require me to join the PJ network as an affiliate (pretty big commitment in my eyes).So I decide to come here and see the feedback about PJ. It's a confusing situation.

In a nutshell this is what I found (didn't have all day to read everything so please correct any inaccuracy):

- PJ was managing many (100s?) of CJ merchants. My guess for merchants that could not afford the "CJ Full Service" but still wanted to be professionally managed.

- PJ decide to start an affiliate network.

- This "pissed" off CJ, since now PJ could use their CJ relationships to move profitable merchants away and recruit top affiliates.

- CJ decided to retaliate by asking their merchant to stop their relationship with PJ or their contracts with CJ might be terminated. Looks like they might be heading for a legal fight.

- PJ started a thread here (ABW) to communicate "officially" with their customers. Very important since they are a new player on the "Affiliate Network" field.

- After a few days(?) they changed their minds about it and asked to stop their membership with "ABW".

- It appears they decided to do so because they were having a difficult time answering ethical questions (dealing with conflict of interest since they do have affiliate type assets: shopping blogs ...etc...) and have relationship(?) with some of the worst "ebates" of the world (toolbar shopping: i.e. steal the cookie of other affiliates...). This issue (stopping their relationship with ABW) alone could be a red flag about the PJ network.

For now I will just monitor my CJ merchants until the links effectively stop working and keep on eye on "PJ at AWB", until they level out the concerns about their practices with many of the connoisseurs here at ABW.

Please feel free to add known facts, solid rumors or sound analysis about this issue to help others decide what to do.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    That seems to be right.

Now it appears that questions are being answered but I no longer am interested in hearing the answers due to earlier events. So I can't comment on how that's going.

is there a list of merchants?

No list of merchants, only adverktisers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

How is that even a typo? Maybe it was programmed from an iPhone. lol.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    No list of merchants, only adverktisers
    Thanks Haiko! I've been stressing over my server all day and this is the first good laugh I've had!

Affiliate Network Rep
    desol,

Many of your statements are incorrect.

I've corrected the inaccuracies below:

- PJ was managing many (100s?) of CJ merchants. My guess for merchants that could not afford the "CJ Full Service" but still wanted to be professionally managed.

At the time of this situation we provided affiliate program management to roughly 40 programs on Commission Junction. The pricing statement is just inaccurate since nearly all of Pepperjam's clients are large, established brands (i.e. New Line Cinema, Baby Phat, Rocawear, Foreclosure.com, etc) with the resources to hire just about anyone they want. Pepperjam has never offered discount affiliate program management services; instead, our clients hire us because of our proven performance recruiting affiliates and our extensive experience with all aspects of growing an affiliate program.

- PJ decide to start an affiliate network.

That's correct. The development took over two years and included the input from hundreds of affiliates and advertisers. We officially launched less than two months ago - on January 15, 2008.

- This "pissed" off CJ, since now PJ could use their CJ relationships to move profitable merchants away and recruit top affiliates.

You'd have to ask CJ this one. Many of the clients we've managed on CJ have been on CJ and with Pepperjam for years so the suggestion that somehow we were using CJ until we launched our own network isn't true.

- CJ decided to retaliate by asking their merchant to stop their relationship with PJ or their contracts with CJ might be terminated. Looks like they might be heading for a legal fight.

CJ ambushed Pepperjam's client base with an ultimatum to either terminate relations with Pepperjam or get terminated by CJ. In terms of a potential "legal fight" we are being told my multiple attorneys that we have two potential causes of action against CJ (1) tortious interference with contracts and (2) Antitrust. Pepperjam's General Counsel is working with our outside counsel to consider all options to minimize the damages to Pepperjam that occurred from CJ's behavior.

- PJ started a thread here (ABW) to communicate "officially" with their customers. Very important since they are a new player on the "Affiliate Network" field.

Yes.

- After a few days(?) they changed their minds about it and asked to stop their membership with "ABW".

Yes.

- It appears they decided to do so because they were having a difficult time answering ethical questions (dealing with conflict of interest since they do have affiliate type assets: shopping blogs ...etc...) and have relationship(?) with some of the worst "ebates" of the world (toolbar shopping: i.e. steal the cookie of other affiliates...). This issue (stopping their relationship with ABW) alone could be a red flag about the PJ network.

The decision to pull the Pepperjam Network Sponsored ABW board was made because we felt that time needed to pass and emotions needed to settle before a civilized discussion could take place.

The idea that we pulled the board becuase we were hiding something is absolutely false.

I think the last three days of communication between Pepperjam and ABW members has been civilized, which speaks well for ABW and Pepperjam's willingness to enter the discussion.

I strongly encourage ABW members to post questions if you have them.

Whether you or other ABW members join Pepperjam Network as an affiliate or advertiser in entirely up to you.

I will only provide you with more information as you request it.

I will also answer questions in as timely a matter as I can as they come in.

Thanks for allowing me to clear up some of the inaccuracies you posted about Pepperjam Network,

KBJ

Thanks KBJ, for clearing things out.

It does reflect very well on PJ, to have re-joined ABW. ABW is made of 1000s of members and some have more aggressive styles then others. Just keep your cool and stick to the issues/concerns. I understand that sometimes a calming period is required especially when multiple individuals push each other into an "intellectual frenzy".

Could you (or someone with a good understanding of the matter) summarize, in the most objective and professional way, the concerns that required emotions to settle and the answers?

Affiliate Network Rep
    delsol,

Thanks for your kind words.

That's what we've been doing here for the last few days - ABW members are asking questions and Pepperjam is addressing them in turn.

According to Haiko (ABW owner) - if you have a specific question for Pepperjam you are supposed to start a new thread here - http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=480

BTW - I strongly encourage you to take the time to review all the questions that have already been asked. This way, if there are questions you have you can likely find the answer on this thread. However, if you still have a question please feel free to post it.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread