ABW Ambassador
    Anybody Get Google Slapped This Time Around?
    Saw some discussion about it here, looks like a few people got hit, not as big as a couple past ones:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google...ds/3592741.htm

Checking now I see little increases like in the 5 - 20 cent range here and there, nothing major. Thankfully this time around not the $10 deal.

A lot of my Quality Score = Great keywords went from .05 - .1 min bid to .2 - .3 min bid and the QS dropped to Ok. Most of them had CTRs in high single digits and low to mid teens.

What really doesn't make sense is that for 2 diff. ad groups with 2 diff. landing pages the keyword phrase that makes up my subdomain name and is the most relevant keyword on the page jumped to .3 min bid, and dropped to an "Ok" Quality score.

Hopefully things will level out and get back to normal soon.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    For the first time ever, one of my sites got slapped ever so lightly.

First time for me, too. $0.02 min bids went up to $0.10, $0.05 up to $0.20, etc.

I have read some of these posts and related links. However I am still unclear what a google slap is. Does anyone have a link to describe this term better?

Thanks.

In a nutshell the "Google Slap' is when Google raises your minimum bids for keywords in your campaigns for no apparent reason. Your content doesn't change, your keywords don't change, but one day the keywords that used to have a .05 minimum bid now have a .20 minimum bid.
    Last edited by 212TomTom; March 11th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    And to be honest with you, I never bought into this whole just get your landing pages right deal. Of course make the best landing page possible, make it targetted to your keywords etc. Get all the other little stuff they recommend like privacy policy etc. But this thing is handled by an algo. And it's just not going to get it right all the time. I remember what I was seeing last time during that big slap where a lot went up to $10 a bid which made no sense and posted specific examples of craziness. I think some of this goes to they have investors to please. We saw recectly about them expanding the broad match -

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ht=broad+match

More untargetted clicks for advertisers was the spin, this was around the time their stock dropped. And now bids go up a little. I just think they rather have the bigger pockets/merchants there. If I was a search engine I would. I think overall afffiliates keep a better eye on it since the budgets are a little tighter. Big brands, I think they let it fly a little more, chalk it up as a cost of doing business. Not all but I think many.

That being said, how do you recover from the "slap"? If we're saying that the "slap" is a result of a new algorithm that determines the "relevancy" or relationship between your page and your keywords then our solution is to figure out what the new algorithm is and adjust our pages accordingly... sounds simple, right? (insert multi-month/year, multi-headache process here to figure out what G wants)

On the other hand, if the "slap" is not algorithm related, and is just a temporary adjustment made by Google to bring in some additional revenue, or some other non-sensical reason, then over time, our min bids should drop back to their previous amounts, based on the fact that our page was actually relevant to begin with, and still is.

This is the first google slap I've encountered (knock on wood) so I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get back to where I was ( PPC results, bids, etc) that is. Has anyone seen their Adwords bids return to "normalcy" or "pre-slap" levels without changing the landing pages?

Quote Originally Posted by 212TomTom
    If we're saying that the "slap" is a result of a new algorithm that determines the "relevancy" or relationship between your page and your keywords then our solution is to figure out what the new algorithm is and adjust our pages accordingly... sounds simple, right? (insert multi-month/year, multi-headache process here to figure out what G wants)
    In the vast majority of cases, that's the reason for the slap. Wear a good helmet so you don't hurt your head too much.

Seen some small increases here too, to 20 cents, that kind of stuff. No $10 min bids or anything.

Wondering if y'all are seeing what I'm seeing.

I too had a lot of min bids raised from sub .10 prices to .20 and .30 on high CTR keywords. Also, the Quality Score on those keywords, in a most cases, went from Great to Ok.

I'm now paying twice as much as I used to, the KWs have an "ok" quality instead of the old "great", but by raising my bids to the current min (.2) I'm getting many more impressions and higher CTR than I used to get by paying the min bid of 'sub 10 cent amount'. The 'rankings' are about the same too, usually in the 3 - 5 range.

Now if I can only convince the AM to double my lead/sale commissions.

Apparently Google has decided that there is only so much money that can be made on the Internet. In order for them to make more, you must make less.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    I think with the smaller increases, people are more likely to raise their bids. I had some from the first slap, 5 cent and 10 cent bids doing great that went to $10. No one sane would do that. But raise it 5, 10, 15 cents, probably more takers.

Do the keywords eventually lower the price down? Or is it account specific? I had 1 keyword go from .10 cents to 10 dollars in less than 5 hours.. Anyone had a keywords price drop back down afterwards?

ABW Ambassador
    Just posted a response in the other thread about that. Those keywords that you bid on won't ever come down.

What I can't understand is this: I have bidded on many search terms with absolutely no advertisers or just one or two, the content and keywords are related, but I can't just pay a nickel. They want $.50 or more. Their algorithm doesn't account for common sense. They could have bids on terms that currently receive little or no advertisers currently, but choose instead to jack up the price and turn away a little money.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'll have to call up a few Google Adwords reps and read them the riot act. Seems adding the clients registered and copywrited Trademarks, plus their .com domain names to Adwords campaigns triggered $0.50 or 1.00 minimum bids. You'd think the registered trademark holder and Patent holder could get a Google pass to bid those at a minimum $0.10
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I've been trying for 6mo. to get my QS better. I've done everything I could to make my keywords, ads, and landing pages just the way they have been explained in adwords. My min bid, QS score has been unchanged. Maybe I should be Happy

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    A little late to this discussion, but heck, the latest 'google slap' killed one of my campaigns completely, minimum bid went up to .20 for sixty keywords/phrases, with a few of the phrases up to $5.00 per click through..... so, they get $0 from me for that campaign, I just have to figure out where to redirect that money.... maybe offline advertising.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread