Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
  1. #1
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    I just joined Linkshare as a Publisher
    None of the three merchants I wanted to be an affiliate for, had immediate approval. So, I'm not happy about waiting. Seems like CJ and Linkshare have kept me waiting for the last 24 hours, making SaS look really good to me.

    I wasn't happy that I have to wait for a sales person to call me for info on being a Linkshare merchant either.

    Not excited about this company so far.

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador Ron Bechdolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Affiliateville, USA
    Posts
    7,927
    If you are a merchant, please realize that Linkshare you can only have an affiliate program through them and not at multiple networks.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

  3. #3
    Tax Paying Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,119
    Jay,

    Are you gona be an affiliate and an AM at the same time???
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

  4. #4
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Yes, I have been an affiliate off and on for years. And since I started my AM job, I decided to revamp my affiliate programs too. I might as well immurse myself in it.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    I would say manual approval is better for everyone, that way not just anyone can join. Otherwise the bad guys would get in to every program.

  6. #6
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    Yes, I have been an affiliate off and on for years. And since I started my AM job, I decided to revamp my affiliate programs too. I might as well immurse myself in it.
    Some people may have a problem with that...just so you know.

  7. #7
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Some people may have a problem with that...just so you know.
    Enlighten me as to why.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    Might be perceived as a conflict of interest.

    As AM, you have access to publisher performance stats, a complete list of your potential competitors (when you wear the affiliate hat) and what works for other sites (via their performance), thereby giving you the ability to apply the same to your own sites.

    Not suggesting you would do any of this, but that's why some affiliates may have a problem...

  9. #9
    Newbie Rolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    1,029
    it is a fine line....also it is NEVER a good idea to be an affiliate of your own programs, yur affiliates wouldn't be happy if you are competing with them. I am not saying you are, but you will want to make it clear that you are not.

    Also, when an AM is an affiliate as well, some affiliates will feel uncomfortable divulging propriety information to you, especially not knowing your sites and your niche. They will worry that you are a competitor and not really out there to help them.

    Now with all that, as long as you are transparent with your affiliates, and are practicing honestly, you may have better luck at it then most who have tried it in the past....

  10. #10
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    I would recommend not being an (active) affiliate in your own program or in your own industry. I do see some benefit in having affiliate managers who have tried affiliate marketing (in areas that don't directly compete with their affiliates), as they'll better understand many of the issues affiliates have. It's a very fine line, however.

    ADDED TO CLARIFY: The reason specified "active" is that it can be a good idea to sign up for your own (and your competitors) program, so that you can see the interface, newsletters, etc., just as your affiliates do. But never actively use the links or build sites around them.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; March 11th, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Clarified "Active"
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  11. #11
    Newbie phoenixeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2008
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1
    Question linkshare
    Hi
    Does anyone have a login url for linkshare?
    [edit]
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; March 12th, 2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: TOS says no sigs until 250 posts

  12. #12
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    Enlighten me as to why.
    Because of what TeeZone said.

    Even if it's a different industry you'll still have access to information that you could use for your benefit. It doesn't matter if you are an affiliate in a different niche or not. I bet you if I had information on how all shoes affiliates and promoting a shoe brand, I could use it to my advantage even though I don't promote shoes.

    Since you said you have been an affiliate for years then you don't need to try it out for experience as MichaelColey suggested because you already have the experience.

  13. #13
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Hmm, maybe I will have to re-evaluate again.

    That being said, we are 95% sure that we are staying in-house and invitation only with our affiliate program.

    Also, our VP is an affiliate in our program, and he is by far the number one affiliate, even ahead of our one super affiliate. So our company will just have to be transparent that we are involved in our own affiliate program as affiliates. After all, we were both hired because of our success with our own websites.

    As far as my (not my companies) website having affililiate links, the only Affiliate Program I had up until last week was the company that signed me on as AM. Last week I added some SaS links and I wanted to also add some similar niche market affiliate programs from CJ, linkshare and other inhouse programs.

    I figured as an AM, it would be best to learn about Affiliate Marketing by jumping into it on both ends. And since I have a website that is a leader in the niche, I thought I would make some commissions off of it.

    The company I work for has no links to anybody else. I don't have my hand in their website at all. I only have hands on my website, that I have been running for years. And affiliate marketing was always such a small part that I just started really adding to last week.

  14. #14
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Small Town in Tennessee
    Posts
    5,226
    There's one way to find out...

    Send out 10 Private Invitations today, and make sure you say that both you and the vice president are affiliates of your own program...

    and see how many new affiliates sign up

  15. #15
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    Also, our VP is an affiliate in our program, and he is by far the number one affiliate, even ahead of our one super affiliate. So our company will just have to be transparent that we are involved in our own affiliate program as affiliates. After all, we were both hired because of our success with our own websites.
    I would actually have less of a problem with the VP being an affiliate as long as he doesn't receive any preferential treatment and doesn't have access to affiliate data, even though I think it would be very hard to guarantee that.

    As for you, imagine that you run a business and that your closest competitor had total access to all of your strategies, as well as information pertaining to which campaigns were successful or not along with all of the data regarding your best converting keywords. He'd know which products sold best for you and exactly how you positioned them. That's why we don't want to compete against you, it's not exactly a level playing field.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  16. #16
    Moderator MichaelColey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, TX
    Posts
    16,232
    At least you'll make a good example of what NOT to do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador Greg Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,889
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC

    Also, our VP is an affiliate in our program, and he is by far the number one affiliate, even ahead of our one super affiliate. So our company will just have to be transparent that we are involved in our own affiliate program as affiliates. After all, we were both hired because of our success with our own websites.
    Oh my! Imagine the recruiting email:

    Hi, we invite you to join our affiliate program. We believe you could do very well us promoting our products. The big question is; can you do better than our top affiliate? Our top affiliate earned $5,000 last month and that was in his spare time, when he wasn't working for us as our Vice President.

    If you think you have what it takes to make more affiliate sales than we do ourselves, we'd love to talk with you.
    Sure, it sounds silly but wouldn't the message be similar? Joking aside, having been an affiliate before I turned OPM, that is pretty much how I would have interpreted a recruiting email from a company where the VP is their top affiliate. Run the affiliate program OR be an affiliate but I highly recommend you don't try to do both at the same time.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

    Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

  18. #18
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Silly as that may sound, email isn't our way of approaching sales.

    We also aren't approaching many companies who are already affiliates.

    Our business model is and will continue to be, different than AM's and OPMs are used to seeing. That is why we didn't and won't hire an AM or OPM. A Custom Coin salesman was hired (me) with some affiliate experience. Because we are in the business of selling coins (custom and stock) to the military. Not selling our program to affiliates.

    We have had an affiliate program for a couple years. It has been very passive though. Now with a dedicated person running it (me), it will be a complete program, but more Passive-Aggressive than just passive. Because I still have to do Custom Coin sales and we want to be very selective in who will be affiliates. So selective, that we pretty much only want people that we have already been doing business with. We have been around since 1984 with a great reputation, so they aren't hard to find.

    Almost all of our sales staff have their own business within the niche too. The customers recognize and understand that. So, I think you guys are making more of this than necessary. But I do understand that I may be new to your world and you guys don't understand our world either. And that is why my sales experience was chosen over others AM experience to head this up.

    OK, I have left myself wide open here. I'm ready.

  19. #19
    Pimp Duck popdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Take off eh?
    Posts
    3,249
    yeah .... um .... wow.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador flamingoworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    5,208
    Just seems odd that your VP is getting paid to be VP and is also an affiliate. Why would the company agree to pay him twice?

  21. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    It doesn't seem like your new company would need an affiiliate program if they have brought the top performing affiliates in-house...

    Regardless of the business model, I simply don't want my performance stats available to fellow affiliate marketers. I like ProWebAddict's shoe analogy.... it's not the products we sell, it's how well we can sell them through innovative strategies, and new ideas. This is the reason you may have problems down the road.

    If it's a sales team they're looking for, that's fine, I'm just not sure it should be considered an affiliate program...

  22. #22
    http and a telephoto
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,708
    Yup, sounds like you are building a sales team and not an affiliate program. But are using affiliate tracking to track the sales. You need to decide which way you want to go.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

  23. #23
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Just seems odd that your VP is getting paid to be VP and is also an affiliate. Why would the company agree to pay him twice?
    The company pays him twice because his website brings in a ton of leads due to being much higher on google than the companies own site.

    His website was the pioneer website in the industry.

    He doesn't touch it anymore, because he is affraid messing with it will hurt his rankings. He isn't an SEO guy at all.

    The web isn't what he was hired to run, so the leads his site brings in are just icing on the cake.

  24. #24
    Member JAYMEDINC's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2008
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Yup, sounds like you are building a sales team and not an affiliate program. But are using affiliate tracking to track the sales. You need to decide which way you want to go.
    The sales team has already been built. I've just been plucked from that sales team to kick-start the existing, but dormant affiliate program. It hasn't been promoted to new prospective affiliates in a while, because nobody has been running it.

    Our affiliate program isn't made just to track the sales. It is to bring in more sales via the web. The only reason tracking is of any concern, is so the affiliates can be rewarded for their work.

    We have decided which way to go. Use affiliate links to bring in sales. Pay commissions to those who provide the click through, that led to the sale.

    So much for the topic of this thread being about joining linkshare as a publisher.

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    4,423
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    The company pays him twice because his website brings in a ton of leads due to being much higher on google than the companies own site.

    His website was the pioneer website in the industry.

    He doesn't touch it anymore, because he is affraid messing with it will hurt his rankings. He isn't an SEO guy at all.

    The web isn't what he was hired to run, so the leads his site brings in are just icing on the cake.
    I don't know if it is because you are not clear when you communicate, but from day one I think everything about you has smelled to high heaven.

    Like this. So this is icing on the cake, in a market you also run a company, in fact all your "company's" "employees" do, but that is cool and your affiliate program is... what?!?! Huh? Invite only to those already in the program and that is why they needed to hire an AM?

    I think the truth is closer to - You own a company, not sure how to approach this, you think there is value in showing you are more knowledgeable than you are. Scared to say you are a little guy, not a big guy... and that's cool or whatever, but your entire story from day one here has not jived in one single way. If you want help, people are not going to be able to help you unless you tell the truth.

    Chet

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LinkShare Publisher Promotions May
    By Catherine Hagan in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
  2. LinkShare - New or Old Publisher Dashboard???
    By kse in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
  3. New LinkShare Publisher Dashboard Now Live
    By Trust in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •