Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can't promote offers that are publicly displayed on merchants site.
    Two idiotic emails today. One from Domestications, the other from Sketchers. Both have coupons on their homepage but they won't let us affiliates post them. I can understand not posting their email offers and such but I would think offers on their homepage would be fair game.

As a coupon site I think this makes us look bad to our visitors, they email and say hey this store has a coupon on their homepage and you don't have it. You suck.

Hi Grouchy.

I agree with you.

Bet you can't guess who this is .

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever, coupons on the homepage are fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever, coupons on the homepage are fair game.
    Evidently not if you want to stay in their programs.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe they need to be removed and replaced with a competent affiliate manager.

That is where the problem lies, it isn't the affiliate managers, they agree with me. It is the people at the merchant that are being idiots.

ABW Ambassador
    People at the merchant, geez. Didn't get the email myself.

Wink
    As many merchants as there are out there - why are you so worried about this one merchant.

Just remove their links from your site and move on.

Don't let them ruin you day.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Because they are namebrand merchants that I need on my site.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    As many merchants as there are out there - why are you so worried about this one merchant.

Just remove their links from your site and move on.

Don't let them ruin you day.
    That's not how it works on competitive coupon sites. Have to think shopper first. No biggie to me, I've always just listed the affiliate ones, never knew they had them on the home page. I know Ross Simons puts them there a lot of the time and they don't have a problem with it.

edit - posted as the same time as Connie, what she said basically

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Cool
    I know I'd be annoyed if I got a lot of emails from users asking why you're not listing the homepage coupon, but that's just me.

Is the homepage discount better than your affiliate discount? That would be the deciding factor with me whether to appeal to the merchant or not about using that code.

These stores don't have other coupons right now, just the ones on their homepage.

ABW Ambassador
    They have affiliate coupons available, I have them up.

Actually Sketchers doesn't, they need to update their creative. End Date:none See for me, that actually means no end date

Domestications has those 3 Free ____ with order ... coupons

I meant they had no actual $ or % off coupons, the free with X order coupons are not nearly as appealing compared to actually saving money.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I like the part of the email where they say any current (or future) affiliates mentioning the coupon will be terminated

I love threatening emails

Gives me the warm fuzzies

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I like the part of the email where they say any current (or future) affiliates mentioning the coupon will be terminated

I love threatening emails

Gives me the warm fuzzies
    I like the part where they are threatening "future" affiliates too. If the coupon is for everyone then everyone should be able to use it. Makes you wonder what the company really thinks about their affiliates.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Maybe it's the way we frame this conversation that causes the problem, and has the Big Retailers (some) running from the hills from coupon sites.

I think maybe when we consistently say "Because they are namebrand merchants that I need on my site" they read that as "they are poaching my brand". And that's what their overpaid consultants and MBA's are telling them.

I'm not saying FlamingoWorld doesn't provide value to the merchant. I believe quite the contrary to be true. It's when we start bandying about the "brand" word that misplaced hysteria ensues at these big merchants concerned about trademark dilution.

Maybe we just need to reframe the discussion.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    trademark dilution? She's talking about coupons.

You don't see the connection?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Have no idea what you're talking about. These merchants aren't running for the hills from coupon sites, they have coupon sites in their program, usually have coupons for affiliates to post, usually send them out in newsletters. They just don't want the ones they advertise on their home page to be advertised on affiliate sites. Only merchant I've heard of doing this.

If they were worried about their brand being "tarnished" by coupon sites, they wouldn't let them in the first place. If they were worried about coupons "tarnishing" their brand, they surely wouldn't have them for affiliates and definitely not available on the home page and in the newsletters they send out to shoppers.

There's only one reason i can think of that they wouldn't want their main coupons promoted by coupon sites, to Connie's point. They feel it dilutes their own ability to market themselves. They don't want to pay commissions on what they perceive to be customers they gain themselves through these offers.

I would suspect that when/if they perceive they don't see a sales drop from these coupons, they may offer more that they then won't push through affiliates. And while these two may not be "running from the hills" (perhaps an overstatement anyhow), it's been well documented at this forum, blogs, and numerous industry events that it IS happening with some merchants.

They also might misunderstand that you could still be sending them the traffic from other offers, and then having their front page coupons used anyhow. In effect, giving them bad data on how that coupon is performing otherwise.

If I'm wrong, which I may be, I look forward to seeing someone else point out a rationale explanation as to what the thinking of these merchants is.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

On your edit: Didn't say tarnish. Said dilute. There's a big difference.

Edit add: Also, it's not the coupons they they are worried about diluting their brand, it's the way they are promoted. I believe the perception out there is that coupon sites leverage existing trademarks to gain commission. Well established brands are always going to be cautious of this, if not afraid of it.

It's been publicly stated that many coupon sites (especially newer ones) get their traffic from trademark searches. (Older sites like Connie's have a strong return user following, so it's different.). That's the stuff that scares these guys. They don't understand it, their affiliate managers aren't able to convince them of the value, and we get threads like this
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Tarnish is under dilute:

Dilution is sometimes divided into two related concepts: blurring, or essentially basic dilution, which "blurs" a mark from association with only one product to signify other products in other markets (such as "Kodak shoes"); and tarnishment, which is the weakening of a mark through unsavory or unflattering associations. Not all dilution protection laws recognize tarnishment as an included concept.

So I'm not seeing any blurring or any tarnishment. Just some ineptness.

"They don't want to pay commissions on what they perceive to be customers they gain themselves through these offers."

They're going to be paying commissions anyway. If they're coming from her site, whether she posts them or not, they're coming cookied.

"it's been well documented at this forum, blogs, and numerous industry events that it IS happening with some merchants."

Eh, you can't always document things to make an argument either way. I've seen merchants that don't normally have them for affiliates, big brands, have them recently. Take Office Max as an example. Usually of the big office brands, Office Depot was the only one having coupons for affiliates to use, now Office Max has had them recently.

I don't disagree with you, Trust. Not at all. Just commenting on the business logic that thrives at these places. (Also, I edited my post to address this a little further).

And suggesting that we change the way we discuss it, so that it might be understood more clearly.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    First, wow its early for this much debate...

Second, suppose you had a coupon site that allowed users to add their own coupons? You know which ones I'm talking about... How would the merchants handle that?

Third, FlamingoWorld, have I told you that you're my hero?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast