Books on Reaching Goals
    Hi All,
    I am looking for self help books or websites focused on learning the skills to accomplish things and reaching goals. I have a very ineffective habit of researching to death, but never acting. "aim...aim...aim...aim...aim...aim..."

My question for you all, what books or websites has worked for you? What have given you the mental tools to take the leap and go do great things? Obviously, part of this is marketing related but I plan to apply this to life in general.

Life is too short to look back and think "If only I would of...."

I appreciate your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by persistent
    Life is too short to look back and think "If only I would of...."

I appreciate your suggestions.
    Frankly I've always felt that life is too short to read books on the obvious. JUST DO IT!

I believe that you can create good habits as easily as you can create bad habits. Reading a book won't jump start you, only you or that person you're so afraid of facing in failure that you'll do just about anything can motivate you. You need to start creating "good habits". When you know something needs to get done, don't hesitate, just do it. Repeat. After repeating this process hundreds of times, guess what? You just created a new habit, one that you won't have to give up as you get old (like all the really fun ones, sigh).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I have the same problem.

Rematt's right. No book is going to teach you good work habits. You already know what they are; you just have to discipline yourself when necessary.

One little head game I play with myself is to think, "Okay, I can either do this horrible thing that I'm dreading ***OR*** I can do this other thing which is even worse!" It's a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde thing but it works. Mostly. When it doesn't I just remind myself that if I want to earn any lovely money I'd better get busy.

I sometimes think that as a society we're constantly looking for easy answers. Sorta "Life for Dummies". There are books that are designed to solve all of life's problems. I always thought that it was funny that most of these books don't recommend reading books as a possible solution. The Eighth Habit of Highly Successful People? Don't read, DO.

I remember years ago driving cross country with the girlfriend of the month. At one point I looked up from the road to see what she was reading and it was a book titled "What Men Want". I asked her why she was reading it and her response was so she'd know how to make me happy. My response was "hell woman, you've been sitting next to me for the last 1,200 miles, just ask". She looked at me like I was crazy. I think I dumped her somewhere around Tulsa.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I hate it when I find I'm looking for the Magic Bullet for life. But wanting to find my answer in a book, ties in really well with my ineffective habit of researching to death, but never acting. I'll go "DO".

I hate it when I find I'm looking for the Magic Bullet for life. But wanting to find my answer in a book, ties in really well with my ineffective habit of researching to death, but never acting. I'll go "DO".
    Yes, I remember. We used to call it parallelization through analyzation.

If it doesn't work the first time, do it again. Good luck.

-rematt

I bought a book about procrastination once, but I never got around to reading it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

My goal is to actually finish one of the books I started.

http and a telephoto
    Research AS you work. In other words, start the project and when you get stuck, THEN go find out how to get unstuck. Research leads to research leads to not making a decision because there is always more to research......

Sometimes reading a motivational book helps, but usually you finish it and realize "I knew that all along".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi All,
    I am looking for self help books or websites focused on learning the skills to accomplish things and reaching goals. I have a very ineffective habit of researching to death, but never acting. "aim...aim...aim...aim...aim...aim..."
    Instead of researching, why don't you:

1. Write all the goals down you want to accomplish.

2. List what you have to do to accomplish each goal.

3. Each day do something on that list.

You don't need to waste time reading a book - just do something each day to accomplish your goals.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread