More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Adsense Earnings Cut By 2/3!
    My earnings have been down lately, but nothing like this fellow at http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=735337
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My guess is smart pricing. I had it happen to me around Oct-Nov of last year for some ads I run on non-commercial pages.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    That's why I'm very selective about the sites I put adsense on.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    My guess is smart pricing. I had it happen to me around Oct-Nov of last year for some ads I run on non-commercial pages.
    - Scott
    I guess it's time to get into the PPC buying end of it via the content network then. Just about ready to launch a site that should produce. Hoping I can get some better rates.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I don't like to comment on stuff from other forums but I don't think those stats are correct at all. With that much traffic the guy should not be making so little in the first place.

Smart pricing would affect the $$ that much either.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I don't like to comment on stuff from other forums but I don't think those stats are correct at all. With that much traffic the guy should not be making so little in the first place.

Smart pricing would affect the $$ that much either.
    Who knows what kind of traffic he's getting. For all we know it could be foreign traffic looking for free services. And I wouldn't be surprised if smart pricing caused such a drop. I've seen drops as much as 60% due to smart pricing.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I have only seen about a 10% drop this month.

Snib what I am saying is for that amount of traffic his original stats should have made him more money.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Snib what I am saying is for that amount of traffic his original stats should have made him more money.
    Maybe he just had/has really bad ad placement? It is hard to say for sure without seeing his site.

It's a nice maintenance free way to make some money off content-orientated sites, but don't rely on it to feed the kids. Things can change overnight with them, like any one source of income. Adsense is not "safe" diversification, since there are not too many good contextual alternatives.

If you have a good solid and valuable site, diversified and spread out over different merchants and methods of income, and flexible enough to adapt if needed, you have much more stability.

ABW Ambassador
    Let me put on the little conspiracy hat for a little bit. Opening up broad match recently so advertisers get more untargetted traffic Little google slap, not bad but raising the bids a little. And with Adsense, the percentage they take can fluctuate right? You don't have a set percentage, as you get X percent and Google gets X percent. The percentage they take can go up and down, it's up to them, it's in the agreement. That part I've never liked. It does leave it open to play with the numbers a little bit right? Even 1%, 2% etc. is barely noticeble to individuals but to Google could be millions.

Or it could be something with his site, the advertisers in the category and what they're paying nowadays, could be lots of factors.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread