Database folks -- can you suggest anything for this?
    I host several WordPress blogs on domains on a VPS account I have.

I noticed today that all the sites on my VPS (25? 28? something like that) were either running very slowly or not showing up in a browser at all.

This behavior was on-again/off-again for half hour or so, so I contacted the support people where I host the VPS.

After swapping some support email and stuff, the problem was cleared up when they restarted the MySQL service on the VPS.

But they sent me this email telling me what was wrong. (I XXed out the database domain names for privacy purposes on the forum here.) Can anyone suggest what I might do to find any potential future problems? Anyone explain what might have been going on? Thanks. Here's the email explanation I got from the support guys:

"When we checked your server, we could find that wordpress databases XXXX_wordpress and XXXX_wordpress are consuming more resource than normal one. It was caused the delay in accessing your websites.
    Now server is back to normal after restarting mysql service and running fine with normal load and resource usages.

"Please check this. High resource usage of those databases are mainly occurs because of the bad coding style/ SQL queries. Please contact a developer and optimize your SQL queries to reduce the resource usage."

Oh, yeah -- the only data in either of the two problem databases are WordPress 2.3.3 installations, posts, pages, sidebar widgets, affiliate links, etc. In the case of one of them, I just set up the blog two days ago and only have 5 posts and 3 pages.
    Generate more fake news.

No plug-ins for any of them?

-sfcom

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Using the simple tags plugin?

Yeah, I'm using a bunch of plug-ins.

I uploaded the simple tags plugin to the newer blog, but I deactivated it because it was too complicated for me to figure out. Seriously. LOL!

(Gotta go slower on some of this WP plugin stuff for us old guys.)

I am using pretty much the same plugins on those two WP installs as on all my others, though, so why would the problem only show up on those two?

EDITED TO ADD THIS: The problem hasn't reoccurred in the three-four hours or so since I first noticed it and they restarted the MySQL server on the VPS for me. Don't know if that's relevant or not?
    Last edited by writerguy; March 13th, 2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: To add last paragraph
    Generate more fake news.

I'd get this on the WP forums asap.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Hey Gary I have found that those tech guys don't always get it right the first try. If their response doesn't seem right ask them to rethink the problem.

A couple of days ago my entire VPS was down to a crawl and I sent in a ticket. Their first response was that a couple of Cusimano scripts were involved in the problem. I believe it was that backup was trying to run on them.

Their final solution, which I believe was correct, was that my daily backup was not set to incremental. To give them credit they stayed with it.

Yesterday I almost sent you a PM when it all went black for about 30 mins. The hosts website and support was down too so I figure it was a network issue. I was starting to sweat and thought about you leaving a bad situation and seeing your sites down again.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Hey Gary I have found that those tech guys don't always get it right the first try. If their response doesn't seem right ask them to rethink the problem.

A couple of days ago my entire VPS was down to a crawl and I sent in a ticket. Their first response was that a couple of Cusimano scripts were involved in the problem. I believe it was that backup was trying to run on them.

Their final solution, which I believe was correct, was that my daily backup was not set to incremental. To give them credit they stayed with it.

Yesterday I almost sent you a PM when it all went black for about 30 mins. The hosts website and support was down too so I figure it was a network issue. I was starting to sweat and thought about you leaving a bad situation and seeing your sites down again.
    Yeah, I was pretty concerned about yesterday's downtime. Fortunately, it didn't last long -- and I, too, discovered that it was a datacenter issue and not something our host company caused or could resolve until connectivity was restored.

Concerning the matter in this thread -- I went into both the databases mentioned in the support message via phpMyAdmin, and ran first "Check" then "Repair." On the first db (the older of the two) the "Check" came up with a ton of errors on the screen. I stupidly forgot to write down what they were. I ran "Repair" and it reported all the errors corrected. On the second db (the one just a few days old) it showed no errors and did nothing but tell me "OK" when I ran Check and Repair.

For whatever it's worth, everything seems to be working fine now.

Go figure.
    Generate more fake news.

I noticed some slowness too today around 10:30am I believe. It seems strange that WordPress database could cause a problem. Those things are pretty solid.

Hmm. Bumpaw, you know, that might have been about the time my slowdown showed up. I couldn't even get the sites or the VPS WHM for a few minutes, then some of the sites would show up and work slowly, then the problem seemed to quit.

Perhaps their support folks did get it wrong. Maybe it had nothing to do with my WP db's. Guess I'll not know for sure. I was glad, however, that I checked the db's and found the one in need of some repairs.

Anybody know a good WordPress plugin that'll easily and quickly "spiff up" and maintain the db's? I ran onto one using Google, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to install it. Which is unusual for a WP plugin. They're usually pretty straightforward and easy to activate.

I wonder what'll happen when everything's upgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.5?
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Anybody know a good WordPress plugin that'll easily and quickly "spiff up" and maintain the db's? I ran onto one using Google, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to install it. Which is unusual for a WP plugin. They're usually pretty straightforward and easy to activate.

I wonder what'll happen when everything's upgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.5?
    I've been using WP-DBManager, I don't think it was hard to install or configure.

lesterchan.net/portfolio/programming.php

the instructions aren't very clear but you add it to your plugins folder like normal and you need to set a folder on your server for the database backups to go in.
    Everything else is in the "database" menu in the Wordpress admin. There are options to optimize and repair the database and save frequent backups.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread