My site shows up for searches on things that aren't on my site.. Why
    Using Google Webmaster's tools to see what "top search queries" are accessing my site, I'm seeing an entire page of keywords that don't exist on my site at all. When I search on them, my site does actually come up.

Has anyone ever seen this type behavior in Google? I'm concerned that my traffic has been redirected, or that someone is borrowing/stealing my IP/URL (if that's even possible), etc.

My site seems to work fine as far as I can tell through usage, and sending traffic to it via Adwords, but I can't figure out the 'keyword query' list issue.

Oh, and when I check to see what sites are linked to mine via a Google search on 'site:<my sitename>' I get a few really weird looking sites. When I tried to click on one, it takes me to an "XP antivirus online scanner" site.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks,
    Tom

ok.. I Google'd XPantivirus from another computer and got an entirely different set of search results. Looks like my computer is infected, and good. (including changing my search results when it pleases)

If anyone has the same issue, I suggest researching it from another computer as it appears to "cover it's own tracks" pretty well.

My site always comes up on some off the wall results on google too.

I blame the fact that I used to buy AdSense keywords and scraper sites would use them to make money. There sites had nothing to do with anything I was doing, but they sure did effect google.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread