OpenOffice DBase
    Does anyone use OpenOffice databases to do your database setup?

If so, how do you export all the tables in the database into a text file or will Webmerge read the database itself? Is it even possible?

Once I get this figured out I am ready to build pages.

Thanks,

Al

Hey Country,

A quick google search should help you export the data, the first link looks good:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=openo...atabase+export

Good luck building pages

Affiliate Manager
    Based on my conversations with WebMerge customers, I'd say that OpenOffice is perhaps the second most popular tool for modifying feeds after Excel, and far less limiting.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

buyjewelry,

Thanks for the info, that helped.

Richard,

One question, for now.

I have 4 affiliates now that I want to combine into a comparison site. Do I have to do that through a database of can I get it done through spreadsheets? Does WebMerge depend on the primary keys and foreign keys to accomplish its task or just the data in certain columns.

Sorry, I meant 2 questions. he, he

I would be helpful to understand exactly how WebMerge works. I kind of feel like I am shooting in the dark.

Thanks,

Al

Hello Country,

Welcome.

Please describe what it is that you are trying to do/ would like to do. I use mostly use MS SQL server /MS access, but have open office loaded and would be glad to check it out for you.

What is you experience level? How big is the Data Set? Do you want to do this exchange one time/ everyday/ every hour?

LMK
    LincolnAve

Lincoln Ave,

I had planned on updating every week or if need be more often. The feeds are updated weekly.

I have multiple affiliate programs that I am bringing together to do a comparison site. I understand the concept of the database and normalization. But what I am not sure of is whether I can take a feed, clean it up, separate the columns to match the columns of other feeds and then combine those columns. Or do I need to do a normalized database with each column in its own table and then bring them together in a text file.

I don't know exactly how Webmerge works, this is my first site. Does it depend on keys in a situation like this or just a huge speadsheet with many columns.

Country,

I have spoken with other poeple about this issue "unifying data feeds" and there is more to be addressed than "just" the columns being matched. The data itself needs to messaged to be matched (I.E. Nike maybe become niketm refering to the Trademark). So, you maybe seeing it at the column level, when you get past the column issue the data issue will become apparent. Hence the reason why you go to a shopping site and see the same thing listed 5 times.

Do you have the have the resources/background to start dealing with these issues? I would be willing to work with you, depending on your interest/ability.

LMK
    LincolnAve

What kind of background would I need? I have started learning PHP/MySQL if that helps. I already have the autoupdate set for PHP but then decided to go with Webmerge do too the time it takes to learn it.

As far as resources, I use Open Office, Datacleaner to split the files.

When it comes to normalization I understand that it would take many tables to get to the one to many tables. I don't have a problem with that if that is what it takes. I already had that laid out to some extent.

Not sure what else you would need but am willing to learn if you have the time.

Thanks for the offer, by the way.

Al

Country,

I sent you an email. Please post back here if you DONOT get it.
    LincolnAve

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread