Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    More Use Internet In China Than USA
    So it's now official, albeit only one in six there use the internet but 210 million Chinese in the PRC use the internet and that's more potential customers than in the USA.

Also average metropolitan earnings in the cities across China is quite good compared to the rural economy.

So affiliates:

What are YOU doing to get recognised and listed in China?

So merchants:

Will merchants aiming to trade online in China provide Chinese creative and text? Will affiliates start producing Chinese language landing pages?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...309274,00.html
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

ABW Ambassador
    We opened an office in Bangkok to deal with the Asian market.
    Bangkok was much less expensive than Hong Kong.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Bangkok was much less expensive than Hong Kong.
    Heck yea

The numbers don't surprise me. However, what would be really interesting to know is the comparison of numbers of "web shoppers", and not "web users" only.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    The numbers don't surprise me. However, what would be really interesting to know is the comparison of numbers of "web shoppers", and not "web users" only.

Geno
    And from that, the sales % of digitally delivered goods vs hand delivered goods.

-sfcom

Access is everyone in China, and online purchases of hard good is growing by leaps and bounds.

If anyone needs physical placement or assistance in China, let me know. I am on the board of a consultancy which just opened an office in Dalian, China.
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Talking
    So affiliates:

This may be sound like a weird question , but I am going to ask anyway.

Since almost everything sold here says "Made in China"!

What can we sell to the Chinese people, that they don't already make over there?

ABW Ambassador
    Services

Just thought I'd cheekily add:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7295714.stm

Now I can sell DVD players made in China to Cuba. Sadly you guys can't as you still stick to an embargo. Plus loads of kick ass martial arts films.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Humm..
    2billion people in china
    2xx million people in US

What I can't figure out is this: isn't China the "bad guys"? Isn't that the country that we've been told for the past few decades is one step short of pure evil? Communist? Deplorable civil and human rights? Shoddy products, poison in the toys? Tiananmen Square?

When did all that change? When did we start to buddy up to them? There's a kids cartoon on now that my kid likes about a little Chinese girl that's pretty much a clone of Dora the Explorer, teaching kids the language. The president and other politicians are all excited about getting to work with China, and businesses are jumping into their markets.

I don't have anything against the Chinese personally, beyond their government's positioning on things like human rights and things like that. They're wonderful people with a despicable government. I just don't understand when all our attitudes toward doing business with China and their government shifted. If anyone has some links to some good sites about stuff like this, they would be appreciated.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp

Now I can sell DVD players made in China to Cuba. Sadly you guys can't as you still stick to an embargo. Plus loads of kick ass martial arts films.
    Not a bad idea for some people, but...

Cubans will be allowed for the first time to own DVD players and computers, according to an internal government memo leaked to Reuters news agency.

Curbs may also be lifted on video machines, electric pressure and rice cookers, microwaves and car alarms, as well as 19-inch and 24-inch TV sets.

A top government official confirmed to the BBC such plans were being adopted.

But it is thought air conditioners will not be available until 2009 and toasters until the year after due to limited power supplies.
    Even those that some how can afford to buy a DVD player for the first time in their lives now, still won't be able to buy a simple $10 toasters untill 2010.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    What I can't figure out is this: isn't China the "bad guys"?
    Well stated!
    In fact I heard a news story just a few minutes ago that Chinese government officials are killing protesters again, as we speak...

I don't appreciate outsiders coming in and criticizing US policy. You can express your sadness if you like. But I'm not feeling sorry for {the} US.
    Perhaps you should keep these kind of comments in your cheekily cheek...

CUBA
    They pay 10% of a lessees wage and many households have multiple incomes so housing is inexpensive. All rents being set according to income of the lessee only.

Health care and education is free.

Electricity is heavily state subsidised. Typical costs 0.09 Cuban pesos per Kw.
    Telephone costs 0.05 Cuban pesos per 3 minutes.
    Public transport costs for buses fixed at 0.20 or 0.40 Cuban Pesos per journey.
    Water costs - first 15 cubic meters are 0.25 Cuban pesos a month, next 10 cubic meters at 0.50 Cuban pesos a month. Sewage costs are 0.90 Cuban pesos a month.
    Funeral costs are free.

The concept of wages is misunderstood by many westerners. Typical earnings are $20 a month. That is only a little less than unskilled wages in Ecuador and many South American countries.

The food distribution system is probably the most misunderstood area of all.
    There is a basic state subsidised provision (typically referred to as a form of rationing) plus access to free markets.
    2005 table:
    Product Quantity x person Price in pesos Price free market
    Rice 6 pound/month 0.25/pound 3.50/pound 0.67/pound
    Bean 20 ounce/month 0.32/pound 7.00/pound 1.34/pound
    White sugar 3 pound/month 0.15/pound 0.74/pound
    Raw sugar 3 pound/month 0.10/pound
    Milk 1 lt. daily children
    of 0 to 7 years 0.25/lt 10.00/lt 1.60/lt
    Eggs 6 every 15 days 0.15/u 0.10/u

In addition like most South American and Central American countries, many people grow their own crops (a proportion of land is allocated) and raise their own fowl.

Now politically they are an anathema but it's not all bad there, just like any other 2nd world country in fact even accounting for the embargo that has been in place for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    I don't appreciate outsiders coming in and criticizing US policy. You can express your sadness if you like. But I'm not feeling sorry for {the} US.
    Perhaps you should keep these kind of comments in your cheekily cheek...
    I have not criticised any policy. Point to note however is the policy was made decades ago and even Fidel isn't in charge any more. Maybe time for a rapproachement like other areas have already done so. Maybe not time. It's all a matter of perspective.

As for China. Again politically a system at total odds to the way of life we all enjoy but a country with a fifth of the planets population and it would from a commercial perspective be stupid to ignore the marketing potential.

I have not criticised any policy. Point to note however is the policy was made decades ago and even Fidel isn't in charge any more. Maybe time for a rapproachement like other areas have already done so. Maybe not time. It's all a matter of perspective.

As for China. Again politically a system at total odds to the way of life we all enjoy but a country with a fifth of the planets population and it would from a commercial perspective be stupid to ignore the marketing potential.
    Situational ethics...

Angry
    CUBA
    They pay 10% of a lessees wage and many households have multiple incomes so housing is inexpensive. All rents being set according to income of the lessee only.

Health care and education is free.

Electricity is heavily state subsidised.
    Now politically they are an anathema but it's not all bad there, just like any other 2nd world country in fact even accounting for the embargo that has been in place for decades.
    If you feel ist's not all bad there, why don't you move there and take all your family there too.

Well the original topic was about the economic potential in China and how people there use the internet making them available for commercial exposure to western goods and services. It was aimed at pointing out that potential.

OK I apologise for mentioning Cuba. Obviously you guys are still xenophobic about stuff like that. Everyone else in the world has moved on somewhat. Even if the largest number of tourists to Cuba is now from the UK/EU it's obvious that some things look like they won't change for a long time but that's your choice.

No country is perfect. China isn't, the UK isn't, Cuba isn't and the US isn't. I am not writing about what country is good and what is bad, I am writing about markets and the potential for affiliates to promote goods and services.

OK I apologise for mentioning Cuba. Obviously you guys are still xenophobic about stuff like that. Everyone else in the world has moved on somewhat. Even if the largest number of tourists to Cuba is now from the UK/EU it's obvious that some things look like they won't change for a long time but that's your choice.
    Apology accepted but misdirected. You comment about the "sadness" of US policy is where you took a left turn.
    BTW Your avatar is inconsistent with the term "xenophobic"...

Boomers, the "sadness" was "sadly" ie referring to that sadly you cannot as affiliate marketers explore a potential albeit small new market being opened there, whereas other geographic areas can. It's not an attack or comment on policy decided by your Government, it's a direct statement that there exists a new market announced this past week which is already being filled.

I hesitate to respond in a thread that seems to be heading off in political areas, but I've asked myself the same question that HecticDMC did, and I wanted to share the answer I came up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    What I can't figure out is this: isn't China the "bad guys"? Isn't that the country that we've been told for the past few decades is one step short of pure evil? Communist? Deplorable civil and human rights? Shoddy products, poison in the toys? Tiananmen Square?
    There are two things that I think are starting to change that perception.

1) Trade with China. This is the pretty obvious one. The more trade we do between each other, the more we become dependent on each other and the less we'll look at them as the "bad guys".

2) Adoptions from China. I think this is probably a huge, less obvious factor. Americans have adopted more babies from China than from any other country in recent years (rapidly approaching 100,000 babies total). If you take into consideration the friends and extended families of those who have adopted from China, millions of us know someone with a "little China doll" or who are in the process of adoption. There's nothing like a little baby to temper someone's feelings.

Things change over time. Many former enemies become allies. Look at England, Mexico, Italy, Germany, Japan and Russia. At different times, they were all enemies of the United States, and now they're quite close.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I hesitate to respond in a thread that seems to be heading off in political areas
    I'm finished...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Electricity is heavily state subsidised.

And so is the US stock market, these days!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast