Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thumbs up After 30+ years, I finally stopped smoking...
    ... and I'm ready to kill someone. Anyone.

Yes. I finally stopped about 6 weeks ago. Cold turkey, no patches, no gum, no methadone, no nuthin'. I didn't even tell friends and family that I was quitting. Partially because they really didn't need to know if I failed, and partly because I didn't want them buggin' me to death.

Actually stopping has been pretty easy. I have cravings occasionally, but they pass pretty quickly.

I feel guilty posting in this forum since my reasons were 100% economic and convenience, even though I suppose there will be some health benefits too. But the driving force was paying $75 for a carton and then not being able to smoke 'em anywhere.

Oh, well. Enough of my whining.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

WTG rematt! I can't speak first hand on it, but I think if we were meant to smoke we would be born with a cig in hand or at least it would be part of the diaper bag kit from the hospital. Great job showing your body who the boss is.

-sfcom

FINALLY! Something that's actually WORTH whining about. One of the things that helped me quit was having someone who calmly listened and responded while I talked it to death. I used the patch, so I had no nicotine issues, but all the mental triggers were there. Smokers use cigs to tell time - and suppress emotions, so you have to deal with both. Gives you something to do when you might have gone out to smoke.

It will get easier. I quit almost 8 years ago.

You da man!!!

Awesome!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

18 months and going strong myself.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Keep talking about it, but don't give it any more power over you than you already have.
    I quit 5 years ago and yes, I still crave a cigarette every now and then. I think it's more of the behaviour than the actual cig. Smokers tend to equate smoking with a way to relax and when that is taken away, it's hard to find something else.
    You can do it, one day at a time....

guinness618 is right. i quit 13 months ago. the hardest months for me were 2-4. you get by those, you are golden.

good luck to you.

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    ... and I'm ready to kill someone.
    Congrats Rematt..hopefully you won't kill anyone in the process!

I stopped smoking around August and in Vegas I thought I wanted one and it tasted gross to me, I couldn't even finish it. The cravings do get less and less over time...
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Great job showing your body who the boss is.

-sfcom
    Thanks for the encouragement, but the juries still out on who's the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    FINALLY! Something that's actually WORTH whining about. One of the things that helped me quit was having someone who calmly listened and responded while I talked it to death. I used the patch, so I had no nicotine issues, but all the mental triggers were there. Smokers use cigs to tell time - and suppress emotions, so you have to deal with both. Gives you something to do when you might have gone out to smoke.

It will get easier. I quit almost 8 years ago.
    I know. The emotional part is the worst. If I get upset or something, I think cigarette. When I have a really good cup of coffee or after a meal, I think cigarette. I go out for a walk, I wonder why there's no cigarette in my hand and the worst is being caught in traffic. I've started biting my nails. Is that why people gain weight when they stop smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    You da man!!!

Awesome!!!!
    Thanks. Now that I've made the announcement I guess I can't start again, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Congratulations!!!!!

18 months and going strong myself.
    You're my idol. You've really been on a health kick, I really wish I had your discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Keep talking about it, but don't give it any more power over you than you already have.
    I quit 5 years ago and yes, I still crave a cigarette every now and then. I think it's more of the behaviour than the actual cig. Smokers tend to equate smoking with a way to relax and when that is taken away, it's hard to find something else.
    You can do it, one day at a time....
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan
    guinness618 is right. i quit 13 months ago. the hardest months for me were 2-4. you get by those, you are golden.

good luck to you.
    So far it hasn't been too bad. I joke about it but most of the time I don't really even think about cigarettes.

Thanks again everyone.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Steph-ARC
    Congrats Rematt..hopefully you won't kill anyone in the process!

I stopped smoking around August and in Vegas I thought I wanted one and it tasted gross to me, I couldn't even finish it. The cravings do get less and less over time...
    It's funny, when I think of having one I just think that I'd have to go through quitting again. That's enough to deter me.

-rematt

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Yay, rematt!

You've got 6 weeks under your belt, so keep at it! We're all behind you.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

I quit last year myself - had a relapse when I was in Vegas, but surprisingly, I simply didn't smoke when I got home and didn't feel the least bit bad... no cravings, no nothing.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Thanks Kim and Daniel. I was going to wait until I hit 60 days before making an announcement, but FlamingoWorld mentioned in another thread that she had just quit also.

So Connie, way to go too.

-rematt

What OTProf said!
    Seriously, congratulations! Deciding to quit is the hardest part I believe, but I think if I was paying $75 a carton instead of $34 I would have decided to quit too. Good for ya!

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I feel guilty posting in this forum since my reasons were 100% economic and convenience, even though I suppose there will be some health benefits too. But the driving force was paying $75 for a carton and then not being able to smoke 'em anywhere.

Oh, well. Enough of my whining. rematt
    Congrats for doing it.
    I quit smoking 27 years ago for political reasons. Don't ask me why. Any reason is good. I was an heavy pipe and cigar smoker. It was tough to quit but after two heart attacks I'm glad I did. So don't give up. Life is good for Affiliate Marketers.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Congratulations rematt!

I can't believe you've been paying $75.00 a carton! Geeeeeeeeeeze - I thought $40.00 in CA was insane.

Meanwhile, congrats on gaining control over your life back. Definitely inspiring.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Well good for you! I'm coming up on two years this month! Seems like an awful lot of us are ex-smokers.

Congrats Rematt! It's been about 6 years since I quit, and even though I don't crave it anymore or even want it, I still find myself smoking in my dreams...

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    This time quitting is a good thing!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

I am using Chantix to help me. I am dieting AND quitting smoking. Stay out of my way and don't piss me off.
    The gym does help relieve stress but god help the person who starts talking on their cell phone at the gym.

I've started biting my nails. Is that why people gain weight when they stop smoking?
    Yes. It is. Fingernails not only have hundreds of calories per serving, they're very high in trans fat and saturated fat. Toenails are worse.

15 years and counting
    It took me a long time to get back to my normal weight. I would have been unable to diet and quit smoking at the same time. I was so nervous. It was never the right time to piss me off. Good luck to both of you. Don't give up, it's worth it.

Congratulations! Wow, going cold turkey is tough!! Cigarettes have become so expensive -- think of all the money you are going to save!!

ABW Ambassador
    congratulations on you're wise decision and emotional strength.

I'm waiting for the nutrisystem package to arrive. Just thinking about not eating has sent me into a panic attack.

It's funny - I didn't really gain much weight from stopping smoking, because I coupled it with some very easy changes in diet. If you eat fast food, cut out the french fries. Seriously. Eat your Big Mac or whatever as usual, but skip the fries (and don't replace them with something else ). You'll drop a pound or two. If you drink soft drinks, change to diet drinks - I dropped several pounds just from moving from Dr. Pepper to Diet Dr. Pepper (and honestly, I like Diet Dr. Pepper better, so it works out ). If you're a habitual late-night snacker, like I am, switch from Doritos or whatever you've got to Triscuits. You'd be surprised how well that works. Making a few changes that aren't gigantic will offset the weight gain from quitting smoking or result in a net loss. Once you're over the hump, if you find you've gained weight, you can make the bigger diet changes later. For me, it was important not to change too many things at once - smoking, diet, exercise, etc. Stick to just the quitting smoking and a few minor changes and see how that works out. Worked for me, might work for others who are interested in quitting.

On a side note, I was in the shower just now, thinking about this thread, and I realized my comment earlier proves the cliche that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas LOL
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast