I don't have to apologize for my avatar
    One of the things I was typing before I learned that the affraid to post thread was locked, is I wanted to point out that I don't want to play the military card.

Now I see a bunch of you throwing up the new clever little avatars, in an effort to lighten up the mood. So here goes with what I was saying about my avatar.

Yes, my avatar is me in a military uniform. I sell a product to the military and when I uploaded my avatar, I thought against putting an image that included a url of the company I work for. Well, this was a photo I could easily access, because it is also on my eBay store. Again, I sell to the military. I also have a photo of me in uniform on my personal site. I think my wife looks great in the picture, so I put it on the site to show her off and make her happy that I included her. But normally, I separate military and civilian life. I am a weekend warrior. I thank those of you who thanked me, and showed that you have respect for the uniform. I also thank those of you who wore it or wear it. But I would also like to formally say you will never hear me say anything demanding respect for being in the uniform. But my clients usually wear it, so I am keeping the pic up there.

Please don't expect to hear me asking for any free ride or handouts. I hope that went noticed, and I didn't even need to point it out here.

ABW Ambassador
    So you were in the military once? That's what I thought until you just posted - "Yes, my avatar is me in a military uniform. I sell a product to the military"

So you were in the military and now sell to them or

were never in the military and have it because it's something you do, selling to the military now?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    So you were in the military and now sell to them or were never in the military and have it because it's something you do, selling to the military now?
    That picture is me at FOB Spartan in Iraq, Spring of 2005. I was called up from the Massachusetts Army National Guard into Active Duty. I am still in the guard and still face the possibility every day of getting that phone call.

Prior to my time as a drilling guardsman, I was Active Navy for 10 years.

Yes, my number one clients are military units in Iraq and Afghanistan. I also sell to civilians (mostly government contractors) and veterans.

But, although I use this avatar, I don't want anyone to think they need to treat me special. Some misconceptions of that started to air in the cancelled thread. I never asked for special treatment, and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    That picture is me at FOB Spartan in Iraq, Spring of 2005. I was called up from the Massachusetts Army National Guard into Active Duty. I am still in the guard and still face the possibility every day of getting that phone call.

Prior to my time as a drilling guardsman, I was Active Navy for 10 years.

Yes, my number one clients are military units in Iraq and Afghanistan. I also sell to civilians (mostly government contractors) and veterans.

But, although I use this avatar, I don't want anyone to think they need to treat me special. Some misconceptions of that started to air in the cancelled thread. I never asked for special treatment, and never will.
    Good - Because I'm a Vietnam veteran of 4.5 years in hell and I don't use it to try to get anything special.

I would be willing to bet that I'm not the only one here that is a veteran of that war and I've never heard any of them mention that on this forum.

Being in the military is just another job and when it's over you try to forget about it and move on just like any other job that you had and left in the past.

You got to choose whether you wanted to be in the military or not.

I didn't - I was drafted.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

http and a telephoto
    There isn't a military card to play... we respect people for what they do, what they did and how they act right here.

You aren't the only one here to serve your country, or to serve in many other charitable capacities. Almost every person on this board deserves special treatment for something they have done or something they have endured or something they have sacrificed for.

We applaud you, but you should applaud the rest of us as well.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Right on Loxly.

Oh yeah, the only reason I felt I had to point out that I didn't play the military card, is because in the other thread I felt like I was being accused of playing it.

I'm not a fan of the military card, or the gender card or the race card, etc etc.

I agree that we all should be judged in this forum based on what we do here.

Good - I have a son-in-law in the Army who has been sent to Iraq 4 times now - and to tell the truth he's getting pretty tired of it and my daughter and their kids are too.

Every times he gets home within 2 months his unit seems to be sent there again - even though they tell them they will be home for a year each time.

It seems like he's been there every since it started.

And they say everything is OK over there now.

If it is why does his unit keep getting sent back there.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; March 14th, 2008 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    Oh yeah, the only reason I felt I had to point out that I didn't play the military card, is because in the other thread I felt like I was being accused of playing it.
    I think we're aware - or at least, I hope we're all aware - of who brought it up. It doesn't reflect on you; but it makes him look bad.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There isn't a military card to play...
    Tell that to extreme makeover home edition... it seems like every show now is about some military person.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread