Is there a polite way to say "dont spam my board"?
    I have a messageboard and people are coming in, posting a link to their sites in their first message, and leaving. They dont give me a link back and they dont participate in the forum more than 1 or 2 posts.

I feel insulted by this and take it personally. But also my board is small so I cant be arrogant about it. I want to be nice so my members feel bad for me and take my side, lol.
    So is there a nice way to say Hey, dont try and steal my visitors.

why be nice? they are after all trying to steal your visitors...............

Public image.
    Because I dont want the other readers to say "this guys is a jerk" and leave.

I run a community site that is starting to take off, been facing the same thing. Posters are allowed to insert a link when they open a topic - but the comments were starting to get flooded.

Today I changed the code to disallow html links (it just shows the link in a text-form), which should discourage spammers. No more active links in comments.

Depending on your platform it should be possible to disable html - or find the code to change links to open in a new window. That will keep visitors in your site, and you still look like the nice guy.

This is particularly timely... link exchange sites are getting hammered in google right now (you've never seen SO many people complaining in SEO forums).

Put your policy on posting in writing and post it to your members along with your reasoning for having the policy. There will always be those that don't like the policy, but I can guarantee you there will be many more that will appreciate it.

Remember, it's your board. Sometimes you have to be perceived as a jerk to protect your other members from the jerks that are spamming you.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador

Teezone, what do you mean by coments?
    Do you mean on a blog?
    On my blog I dont allow links at all.

I just noticed.. the first post IS the problem..

Do users have to register by double opt-in, etc etc..? There are a variety of apps out there that may provide better security/control.

You mentioned message board... depending on the software, you should consider disabling links altogether.

My site is slightly different, not a blog, and I'm able to control where links are allowed, or not. With recent google issues, I decided to get tougher.. I don't want to lose my page rank..

Post a notice, a clear concise notice, that spells out your policy on spamming. Then start banning. No need to make a speech about it, no need to post something in the threads that the spammers start, just delete the thread and ban the spammer. Probably nobody will even realize what happened, except for the spammer (if that person even bothers to come back).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

http and a telephoto
    There is a lot more profile spam also. People sign up and create a profile page and never post either. Look and see if your forum profile pages are showing up in the SERPS, if they are that will be why lots of these folks are appearing too.

If you delete the posts that are the drive bys, your users shouldn't notice, it shouldn't make your loyal posters unhappy at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    What's been posted already. I also have a forum of my own and spell out all the rules very clearly. Then it's just enforcing them. Your regular members will appreciate it.

"posting a link to their sites in their first message, and leaving."

That's called spam. Delete, ban, move on.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Just ban them. They're just there to spam your board so it'll be no loss.

I've been known to leave a link in place if it's obviously an innocent link drop and it points to something relevant and good but I also strip out links from posts and leave the reason in the post. My active members don't need to read everyone's SPAM. I do have a "rules" page that explains that links are not allowed so there's no warnings or coddling of the spammers. They know exactly what they're doing. If not, they'll figure it out quickly.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Same as everyone else said. In addition google the user name and you will probably find the identical post in many other forums.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Instead of banning them lets be creative .... Put in your written policy that if they drop links and spam with fewer than X posts, you'll ............

change those links to your other websites or say the blog or some other page of interest on your site. Then do it.

ABW Ambassador
    Posting a notice is useless and a waste of time.

If you are running any standard forum these are bots spamming you, not humans. Check the forum software support forums and check for a way to stop the bots. All major forum software has some way to help handle this issue be it a field that is hidden from public view, so if filled in you know it is a bot, to image verification, to other strange and wonderful ways.

But no amount of warning or logic will stop bots. And don't think twice about banning them.

Chet

If it is just total crap, delete it. Don't worry about it.

The policy in the forum I run is if it is spam relevant to our topic, I leave it. But I understand that is just my phylosophy. I only delete off topic spam.

Others in my forum don't seem to mind at all. It is very successful. No off topic discussions. The forum is about one thing and any topic on that thing is open game. Works well for me.

That being said, it sounds like your situtation would be better off in just deleting it.

thanks everyone.
    I just got a hack that prevents people from posting a link in their first 10 posts. Youre all right, i have to stop being nice and just be realistic. I agree now.
    thanks

I like the way ABW handles this - with big red color warning:

Do NOT Post Affiliate URLs or links - it is a violation of our policies!

Follow ABW's lead
    Your answer is in this forum.
    Tell them that they cannot post links until they have posted a certain number of useful, informative comments. If they do, their post will be deleted.
    Simple as that. There are some things you just cannot afford to treat with kids gloves
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Instead of banning them lets be creative .... Put in your written policy that if they drop links and spam with fewer than X posts, you'll ............

change those links to your other websites or say the blog or some other page of interest on your site. Then do it.
    That is not a bad idea.... May be we can start a link pool and when a spammer spams one of our boards we can change their links to one of ours with the following text. "Someone tried to spam this board but here is a better site". We can make the text random too. Then the board operator will a time to go through and delete the spam links with having to worry about being associated with spammy words.

Just a thought maybe not good maybe not bad...
    Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by MNSandy
    I like the way ABW handles this - with big red color warning:

Do NOT Post Affiliate URLs or links - it is a violation of our policies!

Right that works for us because we value ABW. A spammer, well not so much.
    Thanks,
    Doug

if you use a common software, chances are it's bots using something like Forum Genie. like others have said, delete it and move on.

have you considered your board is being spammed by bots?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread