Nominations for the (Unofficial) ABW Poo-List Awards 2007 :)
    There are currently the nominations going on for the 2007 ABW Awards that honor accomplishments of individuals and companies in this space and give them kudos where kudos are due.

I think that love and hate need to be balanced (that's the law of the universe hehe) so I want to honor companies in this industry who's accomplishments were rather destructive or at least stupid or worthless to give them crap where crap is due.

Welcome to the (unofficial) ABW Poo-List Awards 2007 Nominations !

1) Most miscommunicative advertiser in 2007
    (who does not talk often and not very well to publishers and when he does, then in a language that does not seem to be from this planet)

Yahoo!, who also made (makes) the mistake to let a third party communicate with its publishers on behalf of them, pretending to be Yahoo and then blame you for taking the third parties words the same way as you do their own (Fortunetelling is a requirement to be able to pull off this little trick). They also send out termination letters to publishers who were so perky spending hour to help them fix a problem, unpaid! Feedback is considered a threat. That's reversed logic, watch out for that and don't make the mistake to help them, because their "thank you" bites.

2) Most unsuccessful program launch in 2007
    (who screwed up the most, if you cannot remember, don't worry, that is because they are probably gone and don't have a program anymore)

Microsoft AdCenter. CJ then MicrosoftAffiliates.net, then not, then yes, but only Microsoft Partners, then... I don't know. Are they still having a program or not? I need to check that when I get around it. I don't know who added more to the confusion, Microsoft or Kowabunga who provided the platform and some management services.

3) Most incompetent advertiser in 2007
    (that makes it impossible for a honest affiliate to promote them with a clear consciousness)

iPowerWeb. Former hosting provider who has two support groups that do not know about each others existence, refuse to admit that there is another group, even if specifically pointed to them and thus are unable to communicate with each other (because you can't communicate with something that cannot be there, can't you?). On top of that, is each service department only staffed with human look alike robots who can only follow one scripted process, ignoring anything and everything else, including an alternative fully scripted process that a teenager could do for lesser pay than they get.

4) Most destructive program or network 2007
    (that did more damage to the industry than it helped to improve it)

Commission Junction. The third party from nomination 1) (just FYI), who did nothing really to translate stuff for the advertiser and to solve the issues. Their recent legal stunts were also nothing that I would consider useful for building trust and successful business relationships in this industry. They only showed again that back-stabbing and throat-cutting is still a legit business practice and that the not so good opinion outsiders have about affiliate marketing may be are actually based on some real facts and not just exaduration and miss-perception.

So, that's my (shit-list) poo-list for 2007.
    (sorry, there was no <strike> option in the editor to format it as "strikethrough")

All nominations are biased and based on personal experience and mine are no exception from that. Feel free to make your nominations to express your disappointment and dissatisfaction with your existing (and in many cases now former) affiliate partners, based on your very own personal experiences over the past 12 months. Who knows, we might get a decent list together for a (not so) nice poll hehe.

Feel free to add additional categories, but please don't go over board with it that we end up with only one company nomination for each of the XX categories that everybody came up with.
    Carsten Cumbrowski
    Marketer & Entrepreneur @ Cumbrowski.com
    Free & no BS Internet Marketing Resources

ABW Ambassador
    Carsten, either my eyes have deceived me or I saw an additional "entity" on your list that I assume was edited out after I first looked (or imagined that I saw it).

As far as the "Link-pop Network" that I might have hallucated seeing on your list, I can only say that they've done a capital job of undermining the program-affiliate type of relationship that's productive for all parties concerned, with one-sided and deceptive sales spin, not to mention an elaboratively devised and disguised system for link-spamming the sh!t out of the search engines.

I can do no more than second the nomination of the "missing entity" for the kaka award of the year, as being a blight on the industry and a black mark against the process and ethical practitioners of SEO.

Second nomination for poo-poo award: the Link-Pop Network.

Re: Commission Junction, I'm sure you have more insight and information than I do, but I'm also certain that no one has all the facts about what went on behind the scenes in the years-long tryst between CJ and the other party concerned.

Second nomination for poo-poo award: both CJ and those "other guys," though for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Carsten, either my eyes have deceived me or I saw an additional "entity" on your list that I assume was edited out after I first looked (or imagined that I saw it).
    hehe.. nope, no edits

As far as the "Link-pop Network" that I might have hallucated seeing on your list, I can only say that they've done a capital job of undermining the program-affiliate type of relationship that's productive for all parties concerned, with one-sided and deceptive sales spin, not to mention an elaboratively devised and disguised system for link-spamming the sh!t out of the search engines.

I can do no more than second the nomination of the "missing entity" for the kaka award of the year, as being a blight on the industry and a black mark against the process and ethical practitioners of SEO.

Second nomination for poo-poo award: the Link-Pop Network.
    I consider this a nomination in the category "Most destructive program or network 2007"

Re: Commission Junction, I'm sure you have more insight and information than I do, but I'm also certain that no one has all the facts about what went on behind the scenes in the years-long tryst between CJ and the other party concerned.

Second nomination for poo-poo award: both CJ and those "other guys," though for different reasons.
    Hi Marcia,

I know CJ since 2001 and had plenty of insights how they do things. I had the fortune to see a lot of both worlds as affiliate manager for a CJ Access merchant, Affiliate and Blogger.

I hoped that they changed in the past 6-12 months, but was disappointed. They still do things the old CJ way (and that is not a compliment).

Cheers!
    Carsten Cumbrowski
    Marketer & Entrepreneur @ Cumbrowski.com
    Free & no BS Internet Marketing Resources

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread