More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Feel Like Quitting
    I have had a few very good months lately. After a record November, I set a record Dec, then a record in Jan. Then, as the ink was drying on my agreement to put away money in an IRA, the bottom started falling out. And recently, it totally seemed to give way (via my friend the big G)! Spent the last few weeks giving a shopping site a new look and navigation, and it really does look good! But traffic is not there - it is part of my path to diversification away from A**sense. So, now, I hold my breath while my PPC gives traffic and hopefully sales to the new site. And it is tax time - nothing like doing taxes to lift the spirits!

On the plus side, I have some new ideas that do not involve A**sense and are more closely tied to tangible skills and products of my own. For some reason, I just feel a bit bummed. Perhaps from getting kicked in the knees at the finish of a big project instead of getting some sort of reward. And getting over a cold.

It's been worse though. And I will keep up the faith.

To newbies out there: Don't rely on one program or merchant! They will eventually and ultimately pull the rug out from under you.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    To newbies out there: Don't rely on one program or merchant! They will eventually and ultimately pull the rug out from under you.
    Words to live by in affiliate marketing.

Keep at it, and things will pick up, Cheesehead.

(that's what I keep telling myself, too.)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    If you quit then you just have to start all over once you decide to try again. Just keep building and look at it as planting seeds. It's not going to grow overnight but once it does you'll be glad you stuck it out.

(that's what I tell myself)

We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993
    Sometimes we just need to read our own sigs. Yours says it all, diversify and never give up.

I know exactly what you've been going through. Sales seemed to have really dropped for me right after Valentine's Day. So I've been getting back to basics for the past few weeks and focusing more on my B2B site. I'm just starting to get used the the different cycles and hopefully diversification will help me too.

Hang in there!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You gotta be more cheesier, that's all!

Look, it's March and we're all in the doldrums. The holiday fun is over and it seems like the next holiday season is a long way away -- and it is -- and taxes are due next month which everyone hates -- and a lot of us are at our nadir in terms of earnings -- but you've done this how many years now? So you know how this cycle works and you know that the work you do now will pay off down the line.

Maybe you need a week away from the computer just blue-skying about what you'd like to do rather than what you feel compelled to do. Heck, I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Never rely on a single traffic source. Enjoy it while you're getting it, but you have to continue to diversify. I had the rug pulled out from under me by Google about 4 years ago, but I've continued to diversify and build other revenue streams. It can be discouraging. But even on the worst day, affiliate marketing is still better than a job.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!

Sometimes a good kick in the butt is what you need to get going in the right direction. I remember back when Google took my sites off the screen 3-4 yrs back and I started producing content based sites. Trouble is, I steadily drifted away from sales, with more and more income coming from A*Sense. I have tried to get more going in terms of sales, but have not really put as much into it as I needed to. Now, I will have to. And with a few good ideas in development, I can work toward that end.

Relying on one source of income is very much like having a j*b.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Cheese,

When things are going good, human nature is to put off planning ahead for that next thing, that next diversification, that next buffer. It's hard for a person to motivate him/herself to expand his/her pursuits when the money is rolling in. Our focus on the future is blurred by the good times at hand.

In my years of business I've watched many people make the mistake of thinking that the way things are going now is going to last forever. Yet in reality, when times are good, that's the time to be socking it away and investing it. It's also the time to be investing time and capital into adding to what you do; diversifying and expanding.

Nothing in business lasts forever, repeat - NOTHING. Yet, if you are like most people, the next time things are going good again, you will again enjoy the good times and fall into the same dilema. I hope you do not, but if you do, you will not be alone.

EVERYTHING is cyclical in business. (in personal life too, but that's another sermon for another time) So stay on it, take your licks this time, learn a valuable lesson from it, plan your new strategy and expand your portfolio of programs. Then it is just a matter of time, persistence and patience - and you will be back in the first row, but this time with a more diversified plan of attack and a more "traffic recession resistant" game plan.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience on this. It is an experience that many have every year, and it is an experience from which you can learn and use the lesson to your advantage. BTW, "online" marketing is not the only game in town, so expand your thinking to include a multi-tiered plan.

Best of luck to you!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Relying on one source of income is very much like having a j*b.
    Tah Dah!!!!!!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea's right we're in the doldrums and in the midst of a recession.

Hang in there and continue to diversify, every which way.

It's been a rough 1st quarter so far - maybe for many. Everyone else has already spoken the wisdom words, so I'll just echo the "hang in there".

http and a telephoto
    There are always time when even when we are successful we feel like quitting. Then someone says something nice without prompting or you realize you are making a difference in some way or a shopper sends you and email about the great thing they found on your site and it makes everything go into perspective again.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You may not realize, but you're moments away from a fresh spin on one of your sites... necessity is the mother of invention, as the old saying goes!

My best ideas have come when the chips were down.

I've been very excited about a record quarter, google traffic & SERP finally settled for my only site that makes money. As of 6pm yesterday, the bottom dropped out of my search results.. I'm lucky to find myself on page 100. But I'm in good company.. Saks Fifth Avenue was right above me. On the same page was some site in japanese ... and a scraper site.

Something weird is going on ....again.

I say be patient, and let the creative juices flow..

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Don't quit!

Take a walk, take a break, take a vacation, but don't quit!

It sounds like you have a plan - diversifying - and just need a nudge.

With all of us nudging you, it's only a matter of time before it feels like one big shove! You can do it; don't ever, ever give up.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Everything Kim said

Plus, you don't get to quit, Cheesehead! This is your life ... get used to it.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Everything Kim said

Plus, you don't get to quit, Cheesehead! This is your life ... get used to it.
    And sometimes it sucks and sometimes it doesn't.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    You may not realize, but you're moments away from a fresh spin on one of your sites... necessity is the mother of invention, as the old saying goes!

My best ideas have come when the chips were down.
    Yes, you are right there! I guess I was just having a bad day. (overturned commission, drop in A*sense, a guy lifting some of my content on an ebook, a cold, etc) I still feel blessed though. My earnings were enough for a few months to pay off nearly all of our credit card debt, and they are still a little higher than before.

And, I came up with an idea to help my newly updated site just today.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    ...and it seems like the next holiday season is a long way away -- and it is
    And don't anyone be planning on any near future holiday seasons being anywhere near as big as the seasons in the last few years, because America's HELOC home mortgage ATM system has been closed permanently.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread