Anyone else hurting from Google SERP
    I've been pulling my hair out (again). Google took my perfectly above-board, non-spammy site, which was receiving good traffic... and dropped it like a stone yesterday. This has happened before... but this time I had kept everything unchanged for the past 10 days while traffic flowed in (sales were up as well). One day to the next.. the bottom drops out. NOTHING structural had changed.. 'cept content, of course.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has been going through the same?

This isn't a new site, has no spam, some decent backlinks (improving) and has even been scraped (reported to the networks). Ironically, googlebot has used up 650MB of my bandwidth this month.. I don't feel the love..

I've been spending all my time in SEO forums, and can't get a handle on what's going on. Plus, many of these forums are full of spammers wondering how come their ranking dropped, should they not submit to 50 directories a day. Please.

I don't need advice on my own site, I've been building SEO-friendly sites for years, and a number of my client sites are on page one for their segment. Been through it all.. meta-tags, backlinks, content, robots.txt, sitemaps, etc etc

I just want to find out if anyone else has experienced inexplicable & very extreme swings in their google rankings. I can cope if I know I'm not alone..

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I just noticed one of my sites traffic from Google come to an almost halt same time as yours. So I guess there is some shift.

Yes, Incoming traffic from Google dropped by over 50% at my sites...
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I noticed about a 30% drop in traffic starting about 3 days ago. It could be because of this.

ABW Ambassador
    What is http://www.google-dance-tool.com telling you?

I am not seeing the same thing as you, for me its opposite I am seeing some sites jump a lot. I am even having dormant sites getting a spike in traffic.

I am curious as to why you report scraping sites to the search engines? Wouldn't time be spent better adding to your site. I currently have about 5 sites scraping my main site everyday and couldn't care less. I myself wouldn't report this to the search engines if you gave me a million dollars. How would the search engines know your site was the actual site being scraped and you are not the scraper. If I was a scraper I would report the site after I scraped it and told the search engines you are stealing my stuff.

As for SEO forums I wouldn't listen to any of it as most of that info is just people guessing whats going on. Once three people agree on something it becomes the bible. I have an SEO forum myself and I can't believe the stuff sometimes and I am the one writing it.

I add plenty to my site, every day. You misunderstood, I haven't been reporting scrapers to the search engines (that would be a pretty useless exercise).. I have been reporting them to the affiliate networks.

Maybe your scraping is different, but mine goes something like this:

My natural SERP has been pretty high.. scraper extracts my description & product link, which appears in the body of the search result. Click on their link, and you are redirected to ANOTHER product with a merchant I am not affiliated with. Via the scraper's affiliate cookie. I already had success with SAS who cancelled the affililate account.

That was worth my time. And I have reported another 2 to CJ.

As for google, the dance shows similar results across the 3 centers... when I analyze a keyphrase for a specific product, 2 shopping comparison sites are ranked 1 & 2. Positions 7-10 are academic sites (2005 course), 3 of which are direct links to txt files. Saks Fifth Avenue is on page 2 - and this is the product shown by the comparison sites. Strange indeed.

I'm glad others have seen a drop, at least I know it's not site specific. As for the scraping, I would hope others report violations as they find them..

You are correct I misunderstood what you are doing and seeing, my bad. It was a lot different than what I was thinking.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Google dropped 8 out of 10 of my sites. They are completely gone from the index. I have submitted a site reinclusion on one but haven't heard anything back yet.

I saw a fairly large drop about a week ago, but I think I was due. I hadn't experienced such a long surge from Google for some time. Now that its over I can get to work on some new features and focus on my registered users. Sometimes these Google surges can be a bit of a distraction, so I'm glad I can get back to work without checking my stats every 5 minutes.

I don't know about you guys but I get my most creative work done when Google isn't sending me so much traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Some are up and some are down. During the last 6 months I created lots of sites that are radically different from anything else I've ever done and different from each other. I'm hoping that the diversity, will keep some cash coming in.

Part of my problem is an obsession with stats (good point, Snib) - can't help it tho, have always been a numbers person!

It's been hard to *not* pay attention recently as this new site has been a real revenue generator (surprisingly so). I took out a small AdWords campaign today.. just to make me feel better.

I'm sure I'll get busy on something else & rankings will come back. I'm also reminded of a clever feature I've been thinking of adding, maybe it's time for another "enhancement".

Thanks for all your feedback..

ABW Ambassador
    Good Luck teezone! Thanks for posting. I always find these kinds of threads helpful. We work in such isolation, it's easy to get anxious.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I try not to worry day to day. We have seen huge swings from Google but things always seem to gravitate back in a reasonable time frame.

I believe the only thing we can do is build our sites as best we can using the resources and tools available to us and continue to tweak and test.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I never recovered from the Florida update

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    I never recovered from the Florida update
    Hmmm. I just recovered from the Florida update.
    ~Ernie

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Luckily I have lots of domains that don't rely on SEO for traffic.

Florida.. oh gawd.

SERPs seem very unstable right now. Most of my sites are on the up, although I'm showing some #1s where I really wouldn't expect it.. some #1s where I don't think I deserve it, and I've been pushed off #1s where I have been forever.

Let it settle before you panic, that's usually good advice.

And if you're one of the ones that HASN'T been hit, remember that next time it could be you. Consider setting up newsletters and/or RSS feeds if it's relevant to your site. It's amazing how regular visitors can keep you going!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread