Google considers CJ links sneaky redirects
    A recently revealed Google document currently circulating on the SEO websites is "Quality Rater Guidelines 2007." The document gives instructions to Google quality raters reviewing websites to look for specific items on the site to determine if it is a quality and relevant site related to the search or "spammy."

In a list of specific things to look for was a section called "sneaky redirects" where the apparent destination of the link on the page and the final destination is different.

Though redirects are common and several examples of acceptable redirects were given, one specific example of, what Google terms sneaky, was this:

http://www.xxxxxx.com/go65biroiq57A8E7A6577BDAA6
    redirects to
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...xx&PID=xxxxxxx

(I removed the specific ID numbers but the Google document shows both sides of the actual link)

That is, of course, a standard CJ link just like you would see from any CJ merchant. The result is that any Google reviewer checking your website to see if it should be considered spam or if the pagerank should be lowered would see that affiliate link as one indicator that your site is spam.

The document also mentions other affiliate networks but only the CJ link was specifically shown. If you were wondering what Google thinks of affiliate sites in general, this is a pretty good hint.

There are some positives in the document, Google states that if a site adds a lot of helpful content, reviews, price comparisons or something other than a lot of simple affiliate links, it may not be considered spam, which gets back to the often repeated advice that content is very important.

If you have an affiliate website, reading this document is highly recommended. Search Google for Quality Rater Guidelines.

ABW Ambassador
    Not really new, from 3 years ago - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...google+college

Plus they've gotten into pay per action themselves since then.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    One can only hope since they love screwing affiliates that their stock price gets a good rodgering in the recession - karma is our only hope.

Intriguing stuff. They can't possibly be blacklisting all sites which carry advertising where there's a redirect involved when users click on ads. If they did that, pretty much all the net's top sites would be ruled out. Check out the ads on CNN and the NY Times websites for example.

So are they specifically looking for redirects they know to belong to affiliate networks? One wonders...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

>> blacklisting all sites which carry advertising where there's a redirect involved

it is easier to find ad supported sites than find a truly zero ad site now

hope they are not bias on what affiliate links to penalize

Maybe they should concentrate on the quality of the site vs. who supplies the ads?

hope they are not bias on what affiliate links to penalize
    Time to stock up on performics merchants?

Well, just cloak the affiliate links and you got no problems with google.

I like traffic lights
    Pretty anti-competitive behaviour, if you ask me.

If the US Commerce Dept hadn't been turned into a joke, they'd probably do something about it.

Well, just cloak the affiliate links and you got no problems with google.
    Thats fine if google only looks at one page and stops. AFAIK googlebot has the ability to follow links.

lots of variables can then come into play, javascript, pages blocked to google, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Pretty anti-competitive behaviour, if you ask me.

If the US Commerce Dept hadn't been turned into a joke, they'd probably do something about it.
    Intriguing thought. But is 65% of the search market enough to qualify as a monopoly?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Intriguing thought. But is 65% of the search market enough to qualify as a monopoly?
    Maybe not in the US, but Google holds a 85-95% market share in almost all of europe and south america. I'd imagine the EU would eventually become concerned.

I like traffic lights
    I'm not talking about the search market share, I'm talking about their ability to decide that some sites can be ranked lower just because they have certain (ie CJ) affiliate links on their pages.

THAT's anti-competitive.

Well, Google has the right to do whatever they want with their search results - it's their company. It's only when they start to become a monopoly that they'll potentially be more restricted and forced not to be anti-competitive. (I can't imagine how hard it would be to police search results).

I guess if redirects are bad then, we're supposed to start buying and selling text links. Maybe Perfomics redirects are ok and CJ links are not.

It seems like the algo at the plex is more human that computer.

Maybe somebody at CJ is reading this and can get the CJ boss to call someone at Google. Blacklisting CJ's links is unfair to CJ, bad for its affiliates, and can't really serve Google's interests in any productive way either.

ABW Ambassador
    Nobody is blacklisting CJ links.

Here's the link to the thing (Quality Rater Guidelines 2007) that's being talked about, from April of last year.

http://www.mauriziopetrone.com/blog/...lines-2007.pdf

There are CJ links galore out there, still are, pages still ranking with CJ links on them along with pages with affiliate links from every other network out there.

It's good to read, will skim thru it later. Just the mere presence of affiliate links on your sites is not the problem. They just don't want garbage/spam pages out there, regardless if they have affiliates links on them or not. I downloaded the pdf for later.

Also keep in mind:
    A. Google does CPA now themselves.
    B. They have Performics, an affiliate network, under their wing.
    Last edited by Trust; March 20th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

A little on topic a little off...

a) Won't adding a "no follow" tag to the page dismiss the google spiders? Why would you want a spidered redirect anyway unless you were spamming? And then spam to affiliates is not always interpreted the same as spam to spam kings and anti-spam extremists.

b) I've been using the following code to redirect some recent pages:

I'm using this to shorten affiliate links posted elsewhere on the web than on my website. However, I haven't seen any traffic from the SID's within. Does anyone know if CJ has any issues tracking with that redirect script??

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread