Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Antisocial Business Ideas
    A family member of mine asked for my help and I am stuck.

The husband and wife want me to give them some business idea suggestions. The husband is afraid that he's going to lose his six figure job and he wants a business to start generating some extra income.

Now I am the type to say, "what do you like to do" and let that guide the type of business, but they don't want to hear that.

The wife wants to open a store but the husband wants a business where he doesn't really have to interact with people too much. I get that because I'm somewhat antisocial but I can't think of any businesses where you don't have to talk to people except for internet marketing; but they are way too traditional to even consider it.

Any suggestions?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It could be almost any small business if the wife works the front of the house and hubby stays in the back doing inventory, accounting, ordering, etc.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I think the type of store she wants to open is a good idea, but I don't think retail is a good idea for them in general. I would never discourage anyones dreams but I think she is really underestimating the time it would take to make it successful.

It's as if I know what type of business they need but I can't put it into words. They need something with a flexible schedule. They need something where they don't really have to deal with customers and inventory, etc. I think they'd do best if they had something they could start off from home and then branch out.

They are intelligent. They have the funds to do whatever they want. They just need something....***I don't know***

I don't even know if this exists but I sure would like to be able to give any suggestions.

I get similar questions from friends/relatives who are interested in starting out on eBay. They come to me knowing I had a lot of success selling Challenge Coins & was eventually hired by one of my suppliers, Northwest Territorial Mint, to work for them from my home office.

So people must think it is easy or something, if I could succeed. I try to tell them that it is harder than it looks, without looking like I am just trying to discourage.

It is a fine line telling people it is harder than they realize, without making them think that you believe they can't handle it.

Giving people new ideas can also be fruitless, because starting something new is much easier when you come up with the idea yourself.

Jesse L. Medford

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Now I am the type to say, "what do you like to do" and let that guide the type of business, but they don't want to hear that.

Any suggestions?
    Give them the advice that they SHOULD hear not the advice that they WANT to hear.

If the advice is bad, it will later come back to you. I wouldn't want to be the one to later say " I knew you didn't want to hear my real advice so I ..."

Better yet, have them come up with more ideas. Give them a list of business and startup related questions to answer separately and discuss together (but not with anyone else).
    It sounds like they have some issues to work through before starting a home business.

You might suggest that they do something they already know how to do. If he's working a six figure job, he probably has some kind of skills, knowledge, or training that he can utilize in a new venture. Why reinvent the wheel?

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    You might suggest that they do something they already know how to do. If he's working a six figure job, he probably has some kind of skills, knowledge, or training that he can utilize in a new venture. Why reinvent the wheel?
    Perhaps consulting is an option.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Sounds to me like they're perfect for affiliate marketing.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Sara Edwards and her husband have added another book in their "work at home" series called something like The Middle Class Life Boat. I looked at it the other night in the bookstore, they had some interesting ideas for businesses. One I hadn't thought of was handcrafted pet coffins.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread