Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Family Rumors that make you wonder about affiliate marketing
    Yesterday, I got a call from an uncle who is currently living in San Antonio Texas. He and his wife are currently packing to move to Panama later this year. We talked mostly about their preparations and then he asked me something strange.

He was wondering about "The balls that you put in your gas tank to save fuel that I've been selling online"...

I laughed and I asked him where he heard that. It was certainly news to me considering how I ...
    1. Don't have any car or automotive websites
    2. don't know anything about cars and haven't driven one for over 7 years.
    3. haven't ever heard of balls for the gas tank to use less gas for the same distance driven.
    4. am not really interested in cars.

He wasn't sure who told him. I have had a few conversations, mostly by e-mail with relatives mentioning that I've been doing affiliate/internet marketing, but I can't recall having any conversations with them about cars.

Perhaps it would have been better to just let them think that I am still teaching English.

This is the closest thing I could find about balls in the gas tank saving money.

Do you have an affilate program selling moth balls perhaps?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Do you have an affiliate program selling moth balls perhaps?
    I don't believe I do. I don't currently have any sites about insects either.

http and a telephoto
    People would kill their cars to save a few bucks... amazing.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    The difference in perception about the Internet between people who work online and those who don't is staggering. We have more knowledge of what is and isn't "real" online but those who hear rumors or stories about what's actually on the Internet must be baffled by the implications. Thus the need for an Urban Legends web site.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

This is hilarious.

Too many people offline associate online affiliate marketing with infomercials. Actually too many people online associate affiliate marketing with infomercials...

The one that gets me is when a coworker, friend or relative assumes that I can get the stuff CHEAPER because I'm an affiliate. The "I bet you could get me a good deal on product X" problem.. because of course that is almost exactly NOT what affiliate marketing is about!

Or the infamous "can you show me how you make money on the computer?" question. How *do* you politely tell them to sod off?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Or the infamous "can you show me how you make money on the computer?" question. How *do* you politely tell them to sod off?
    I just tell them a good scanner and an even better printer and then hopefully I won't hear from them again for 10 to 20.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    LOLLL, sorry, I hear stuff like that from my mom all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    The difference in perception about the Internet between people who work online and those who don't is staggering. We have more knowledge of what is and isn't "real" online but those who hear rumors or stories about what's actually on the Internet must be baffled by the implications. Thus the need for an Urban Legends web site.
    How True! I am a network admin during the day. About 4 times a year I will get an e-mail from any given staff member. The e-mail will be about a new virus, using cell phones while pumping gas, AIDS tainted needles stuck to gas pumps. etc. The e-mail is sent to them for their spouse, sister, brother, or someone they trust. So it has to be true right.

Everytime I get an e-mail of that nature I copy the subject and paste it into google. Bingo! Urban Legend. I then copy the page URL and paste it in a reply e-mail.
    Thanks,
    Doug

ABW Ambassador
    The one that gets me is when a coworker, friend or relative assumes that I can get the stuff CHEAPER because I'm an affiliate. The "I bet you could get me a good deal on product X" problem.. because of course that is almost exactly NOT what affiliate marketing is about!

LOL.

That's why I don't market my sites to family members, ralatives, friends or coworkers.

I sell to strangers

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    ... sod off
    I guess it's not* a gardening term.

*uncensored material inside (yea 1st amendment)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    LOL.

That's why I don't market my sites to family members, ralatives, friends or coworkers.

I sell to strangers
    You've got that right. It's kind of hard to explain that you're only recommending them because they give you 10% and don't seem evil.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I guess it's not* a gardening term.

*uncensored material inside (yea 1st amendment)
    Ah, my Englishness crept out!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread