New to datafeeds, help - some questions
    Hello there,

Please help me to understand.

When using datafeeds - what is better, Blogs or static pages?
    And do you promote the blogs or static pages like any other website? What promotion is recommended here?
    Do you have to register a domain for the blog or static site for every datafeed?

Urgent!
    thanks for the answers

I have never used datafeeds with a blog, that's not to say it can't be done. I use to use datafeeds and what I would do is use PHP to create product listings and pages based on the datafeed(s).

Technically the pages are dynamic but you can make the appear static. Hope this helps.

If you are new to affiliate marketing this site is a goldmine.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks,
    Doug

1) Datafeeds may work on blogs; however, separate shopping websites are probably a better fit for them. When you import a merchant datafeed into your website, you create a store of your own. Whatever website you import that datafeed into, your goal should be not to create a mere replica of the merchant site, but have a website that does something the merchant doesn't do -- be it by adding additional useful content, a handy tool (like cross-merchant price comparison or customer reviews -- thereby enhancing your customer's shopping process and adding value to their online experience.

2) No, you do not "have to" have a separate domain for every datafeed. You can use all merchant datafeeds in one site. It may, however, sometimes be a good idea to put your eggs in different baskets.

Best of luck!!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiboko
    Hello there,

When using datafeeds - what is better, Blogs or static pages?
    I'll go for option 3. Dynamic pages. You can highlight products in blog post so those are your static pages.

I haven't yet found a free script for importing datafeeds directly into blogs.

Hey guys,

Thanks alot for your answers -Yes it helps, but I sure need to educate myself on a lot of these things. Any recommendation.....ebook for a beginner to learn php and mysql for database?

thanks

Geno hi,

I almost forgot - about the handy tool for price comparisons and reviews, where do I get this?

You also said I can use merchant data feeds on one site.....how? Is it by creating subdomains eg......if my main site is carandbikes.com then when I get datafeeds on electronics...do you then make it like carandbikes.com/electronics/ - just to simplify it?

thanks

w3schools.com have good tutorials have most languages used on the internet you could find their PHP one here.

If you are just getting started it's better to choose a niche market that your interested in so that you can add a lot of unique content.

There is a fairly in depth thread "How to FTP and Import SAS datafeeds" on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kiboko
    Geno hi,

I almost forgot - about the handy tool for price comparisons and reviews, where do I get this?

You also said I can use merchant data feeds on one site.....how? Is it by creating subdomains eg......if my main site is carandbikes.com then when I get datafeeds on electronics...do you then make it like carandbikes.com/electronics/ - just to simplify it?

That is a seperate folder - not a sub-domian

thanks
    Make a seperate folder for each different merchant.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I think one of the things Geno might also have been referring to is using them in the same site (not subdomains or folders). If you have a helmet datafeed and a bike datafeed (two different vendors) you could build a single biking site where you could shop for both.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

What are some good programs for someone to create a datafeed for others to put in their sites?

Excel would be a good start. If you don't have it Notepad and Notepadd++ are free also. It is usually just text, one product per row.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEDINC
    What are some good programs for someone to create a datafeed for others to put in their sites?
    Best way to go is to have your developer build a script that exports your product database into a text file.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Excel would be a good start. If you don't have it Notepad and Notepadd++ are free also. It is usually just text, one product per row.
    Here's a really handy text editor that handles many formats. It's called PSPAD and it's free as well... I found it by luck... http://www.pspad.com/en/

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread